Thread: Books-a-Million Westland closed

Books-a-Million Westland closed

Books-a-Million stores, especially the one at Westland on West Broad, are OC-friendly. 'Unicorn sightings' were somewhat common at the Westland store. They also had an excellent selection of gun magazines for sale.

Now they are closed. It happened last weekend. The only two stores left are at Southpark Mall and Westchester Commons.

The economy seems to be having an impact along West Broad. Lonestar, Fudddruckers, and Borders are among the stores that have closed. It's really too bad.

I guess guns can defend you from bad guys but not from a bad economy.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    SNIP I guess guns can defend you from bad guys but not from a bad economy.
    Not directly, no.

But, a bad economy is caused by the same people who would inflict tyranny upon us--government.

The trick is to learn what causes a bad economy. For real, not the self-serving lies produced by the government, Wall Street, and the Federal Reserve.

What makes this even sadder is that there are other "bookstores" that will not carry magazines that are not obviously hunting/fishing/outdoor life oriented. Books-A-Million was one place you could go to look at the latest issue of Amazing Tacticool Toys for Special Operator Wannabe Mall Ninjas or the other gun rags.

First I lost the one on midlothian Turnpike. Now I've lost the one in the West End. Unless I can find another place that carries the assortment of firearms-related literature they used to have, or I want to spend even more on gasoline, I'll have to hang out at my dentist's office - and he might get suspicious that I'm sitting in the waiting room but never in his Big Comfy Chair.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I think it's just that location Repeater.
    The economy certainly has a lot to do with it but the fact that the parking lot is full of panhandlers and the table and chairs out front have become home for the homeless, certainly doesn't help.

There was one in Reston, in Plaza America. It closed a few months ago, I think, and that space is turning into a Staples.
    Virginians - Have you joined http://www.vcdl.org/ ?

Last I knew, there was one in Potomac Mills Mall. But I generally don't visit malls, so don't know the current status.

Westchester Commons

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    What makes this even sadder is that there are other "bookstores" that will not carry magazines that are not obviously hunting/fishing/outdoor life oriented. Books-A-Million was one place you could go to look at the latest issue of Amazing Tacticool Toys for Special Operator Wannabe Mall Ninjas or the other gun rags.

First I lost the one on midlothian Turnpike. Now I've lost the one in the West End. Unless I can find another place that carries the assortment of firearms-related literature they used to have, or I want to spend even more on gasoline, I'll have to hang out at my dentist's office - and he might get suspicious that I'm sitting in the waiting room but never in his Big Comfy Chair.

stay safe.
    The old Safeway location on Midlothian Turnpike moved westward to Westchester Commons. I would recommend going there. They still carry all my favorite magazines. And yes, they have mags that emphasize WEAPONS, like S.W.A.T. and S.O.F. -- if I ever see Andy Goddard reading there, I would be surprised.

Commons also has great outdoor events, like the Classic Car show. Fun for the family. OC friendly (I think).

I wonder if management would allow an outdoor gun show, not to sell anything, but to display and inform -- and recruit?
    Last edited by Repeater; 10-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.