• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Books-a-Million Westland closed

Repeater

Books-a-Million stores, especially the one at Westland on West Broad, are OC-friendly. 'Unicorn sightings' were somewhat common at the Westland store. They also had an excellent selection of gun magazines for sale.

Now they are closed. It happened last weekend. The only two stores left are at Southpark Mall and Westchester Commons.

The economy seems to be having an impact along West Broad. Lonestar, Fudddruckers, and Borders are among the stores that have closed. It's really too bad.

I guess guns can defend you from bad guys but not from a bad economy.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I guess guns can defend you from bad guys but not from a bad economy.

Not directly, no.

But, a bad economy is caused by the same people who would inflict tyranny upon us--government.

The trick is to learn what causes a bad economy. For real, not the self-serving lies produced by the government, Wall Street, and the Federal Reserve.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What makes this even sadder is that there are other "bookstores" that will not carry magazines that are not obviously hunting/fishing/outdoor life oriented. Books-A-Million was one place you could go to look at the latest issue of Amazing Tacticool Toys for Special Operator Wannabe Mall Ninjas or the other gun rags.

First I lost the one on midlothian Turnpike. Now I've lost the one in the West End. Unless I can find another place that carries the assortment of firearms-related literature they used to have, or I want to spend even more on gasoline, I'll have to hang out at my dentist's office - and he might get suspicious that I'm sitting in the waiting room but never in his Big Comfy Chair.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think it's just that location Repeater.
The economy certainly has a lot to do with it but the fact that the parking lot is full of panhandlers and the table and chairs out front have become home for the homeless, certainly doesn't help.

jnojr

There was one in Reston, in Plaza America. It closed a few months ago, I think, and that space is turning into a Staples.

Repeater

Westchester Commons

What makes this even sadder is that there are other "bookstores" that will not carry magazines that are not obviously hunting/fishing/outdoor life oriented. Books-A-Million was one place you could go to look at the latest issue of Amazing Tacticool Toys for Special Operator Wannabe Mall Ninjas or the other gun rags.

First I lost the one on midlothian Turnpike. Now I've lost the one in the West End. Unless I can find another place that carries the assortment of firearms-related literature they used to have, or I want to spend even more on gasoline, I'll have to hang out at my dentist's office - and he might get suspicious that I'm sitting in the waiting room but never in his Big Comfy Chair.

stay safe.

The old Safeway location on Midlothian Turnpike moved westward to Westchester Commons. I would recommend going there. They still carry all my favorite magazines. And yes, they have mags that emphasize WEAPONS, like S.W.A.T. and S.O.F. -- if I ever see Andy Goddard reading there, I would be surprised.

Commons also has great outdoor events, like the Classic Car show. Fun for the family. OC friendly (I think).

I wonder if management would allow an outdoor gun show, not to sell anything, but to display and inform -- and recruit?

Last edited: