• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Van Hollen responds, "Why can't DoJ come up with training rules?"

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date

Interceptor_Knight

...... And that's IF DOJ even made it clear on the 15th that modifying original certificates with stickers would be allowable. Issuing new certificates would probably be simpler.

Just taking a Hunter Safety Course sometime from May until now would have been simpler...:)

Mark my words. When we (finally) get our permits to exercise our Constitutional Right, in about a year and a half if we are lucky, they will be the B-E-S-T permission slips money can buy.

I will have one by December 19th and likely sooner....:dude:

Last edited:

LaBomba

Just taking a Hunter Safety Course sometime from May until now would have been simpler...:)

What a fantastic option that is for those interested in hunting....And what an utter insult to suggest that anyone not interested in hunting devote 10-plus hours (the DNR minimum) to a course that covers "field care of harvested game" etc. etc. :)

People who sought out courses more specific to handguns shouldn't be penalized for having made that investment. There's no way the course they took could be any LESS relevant to CCW than DNR's hunter safety course. Just sayin'!

EDITED TO ADD: THE ABOVE IS NOT INTENDED IN ANYWAY TO DISRESPECT HUNTING OR DNR'S EXCELLENT SAFETY COURSE. "FIELD CARE OF HARVESTED GAME" IS SIMPLY PROVIDED AS AN EXAMPLE OF THE MANY HUNTER SAFETY COURSE TOPICS MANDATED BY DNR THAT ARE NOT RELEVANT TO PEOPLE TAKING COURSES IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A CCP.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

What a fantastic option that is for those interested in hunting....And what an utter insult to suggest that anyone not interested in hunting devote 10-plus hours (the DNR minimum) to a course that covers "field care of harvested game" etc. etc.

People who sought out courses more specific to handguns shouldn't be penalized for having made that investment. There's no way the course they took could be any LESS relevant to CCW than DNR's hunter safety course. Just sayin'!

It's all about priorities and planning ahead. The option was available and few took advantage of it. Also, there was planty of time to get a MN/UT/FL Carry Permit which is valid proof of training. I guarantee if you took/take an AACFI course that you will have a certificate ready to go on November 1st. Anyone who was looking ahead would have thought about getting training the moment Walker was elected as it was pretty obvious we were getting a permit system with a GOP majority. Nobody is being penalized. Lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on the part of the DOJ...:lol:

Lurchiron

What a fantastic option that is for those interested in hunting....And what an utter insult to suggest that anyone not interested in hunting devote 10-plus hours (the DNR minimum) to a course that covers "field care of harvested game" etc. etc.

Hey...nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head, and forcing them to take Hunters Safety; now are they???
Or maybe your just mad because there's no "field care of sniveling Anti-hunters" ???
View attachment 7024:shocker:

LaBomba

It's all about priorities and planning ahead...... Lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on the part of the DOJ...:lol:

More like, "Lack of access to your constitutional rights is not an emergency on the part of the DOJ."

Is that really okay with you?

LaBomba

Hey...nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head, and forcing them to take Hunters Safety; now are they???
Or maybe your just mad because there's no "field care of sniveling Anti-hunters" ???
View attachment 7024:shocker:

Now that's ridiculous. I said nothing against hunting and have nothing against hunting. But I wouldn't suggest that in order to get a hunting license hunters should sit through CCP classes.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

I suppose you're not interested in the military small arms training option either...:lol:
More like, "Lack of access to your constitutional rights is not an emergency on the part of the DOJ."

Is that really okay with you?

I believe you are over-stating the crisis. Any trainer worth his/her salt will have a certificate for you on or before November 1st...

Last edited:

LaBomba

I believe you are over-stating the crisis. Any trainer worth his/her salt will have a certificate for you on or before November 1st...

I'm sure you're right. I resent a system where DOJ takes 4-5 months to issue a rule that leaves other people 2 weeks to comply. Rumors have been leaking for weeks. If they turn out to be true, DOJ could have issued that portion of the rule a month ago and followed up later with the other pieces of the rule that won't entail people revising certificates etc.

rcav8r

Most of the people here have already interpreted the law, long before it was signed, just by reading it, and strictly to the letter of the law too.

Why is this so hard for the DOJ, who presumably has a LOT of people who have a law degree???

I'm foreseeing a whole raft of lawsuits being filed against the DOJ, and rightly so.

oak1971

Most of the people here have already interpreted the law, long before it was signed, just by reading it, and strictly to the letter of the law too.

Why is this so hard for the DOJ, who presumably has a LOT of people who have a law degree???

I'm foreseeing a whole raft of lawsuits being filed against the DOJ, and rightly so.

This.

Interceptor_Knight

Most of the people here have already interpreted the law, long before it was signed, just by reading it, and strictly to the letter of the law too.....

What many people fail to do is understand the role which Administrative Code plays in administrating a process such as this... What do you think the odds are that the Wisconsin Attorney General understands the Statutes less than someone who does not possess even a basic law degree?

oak1971

What many people fail to do is understand the role which Administrative Code plays in administrating a process such as this... What do you think the odds are that the Wisconsin Attorney General understands the Statutes less than someone who does not possess even a basic law degree?

Like any typical statist he will use administrative code to bypass the legislative process. Should not be shocking given that Madison is the birthplace of the progressive movement. Its alive and well in both parties 100 years later. Next election, he's gone.

rcav8r

The problem with "administrative code" is that the law clearly spelled out they may not make any changes to this law. They cannot add or change training requirements, which is the big issue here.

They have also violated the intention or spirit of the law in the opinion of many, by not making the applications available Sep. 1st.

I'd also like to point out that Galloway, the author, has been very quite on that last issue.

Interceptor_Knight

The problem with "administrative code" is that the law clearly spelled out they may not make any changes to this law. They cannot add or change training requirements, which is the big issue here.
The only proposed Admin Code training requirement I know of is the requirement that the training be face to face and a minimum number of hours. This will likely define the phrase "conducted by" as found in the training requirements prescribed in 175.60(4). By doing so it is not "adding to or changing" 175.60(4).

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
this is kinda funny, in the late 1980's I got my FL resident carry permit through the Florida department of agriculture by simply showing my proof of completion of the WI hunters safety course.
Now in 2011, I have the option of showing my long expired resident FL permit (which I got due to hunters safety in WI) or showing my WI hunters safety certificate from 1981.
I am just waiting for the DOJ to get the damn application out so I can send it in and be legal carrying concealed of my home or business property

safcrkr

this is kinda funny, in the late 1980's I got my FL resident carry permit through the Florida department of agriculture by simply showing my proof of completion of the WI hunters safety course.
Now in 2011, I have the option of showing my long expired resident FL permit (which I got due to hunters safety in WI) or showing my WI hunters safety certificate from 1981.
I am just waiting for the DOJ to get the damn application out so I can send it in and be legal carrying concealed of my home or business property

I used a hunter safety certificate from ILL (from 1976) and an ILL hunter safety instructor ID card (valid from 1978-1982) to get a FL non-res permit back in 2002. I renewed FL in 2007, and because I took the AACFI course to get a MN permit in 2006, I sent of copy of that AACFI certificate with my FL renewal. My MN permit expired last July, my 2nd FL permit is good until Sept. 2012. When I apply for my WI permit next month, I'm sending copies of

a)hunter safety certificate
b)hunter safety instructor ID card
c)AACFI MN class certificate
d)expired MN carry permit
e)expired FL carry permit
f)current FL carry permit.

Interceptor_Knight

I used a hunter safety certificate from ILL (from 1976) and an ILL hunter safety instructor ID card (valid from 1978-1982) to get a FL non-res permit back in 2002. I renewed FL in 2007, and because I took the AACFI course to get a MN permit in 2006, I sent of copy of that AACFI certificate with my FL renewal. My MN permit expired last July, my 2nd FL permit is good until Sept. 2012. When I apply for my WI permit next month, I'm sending copies of

a)hunter safety certificate
b)hunter safety instructor ID card
c)AACFI MN class certificate
d)expired MN carry permit
e)expired FL carry permit
f)current FL carry permit.

Redundant
re·dun·dant Adjective/riˈdəndənt/

1. See redundant

Last edited: