• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to Ditch/store a gun

muccione

Yesterday I had to go to Charlotte to the Air National Guard station to get a new military ID card.

I was carrying like I always do. Well at the check point I told the civilian guard that I had a firearm and he told me I could not bring it on post and to bring it home and come back.
I told him I live over 1 hour away, he said to reschedule then. Nope not a option for me. I don't know anybody to drop it off too. So my first thought was to see if a local pawn shop could help out or just pawn it for a hour or so.

The first place on my gps was no longer on business. The next closes place was Hyatt Gun Shop at 3332 Wilkinson Blvd. I told them my problem and they said no problem. Took my gun and a copy of my DL and put it behind the counter.

I returned about a hour later and got it back with out any problems or any fees. Although it was real strange (to me) to just drop off my gun, It was real cool for them to help me out.

r.j.s

Military bases are Federal property and as such, no firearms allowed.

I don't like it, but that's how it is for now.

cricketdad

Yesterday I had to go to Charlotte to the Air National Guard station to get a new military ID card.

I was carrying like I always do. Well at the check point I told the civilian guard that I had a firearm and he told me I could not bring it on post and to bring it home and come back.
I told him I live over 1 hour away, he said to reschedule then. Nope not a option for me. I don't know anybody to drop it off too. So my first thought was to see if a local pawn shop could help out or just pawn it for a hour or so.

The first place on my gps was no longer on business. The next closes place was Hyatt Gun Shop at 3332 Wilkinson Blvd. I told them my problem and they said no problem. Took my gun and a copy of my DL and put it behind the counter.

I returned about a hour later and got it back with out any problems or any fees. Although it was real strange (to me) to just drop off my gun, It was real cool for them to help me out.

Larry Hyatt is good people. Not surprised he took care of you.

Hef

Military bases are Federal property and as such, no firearms allowed.

I don't like it, but that's how it is for now.

Not exactly true.

The individual officers in command at each military installation have generally been given discretionary authority to set firearm rules on base. Typically, you may declare your weapon at the gate, register it, and leave it in the custody of the designated person(s), to be retrieved later when you exit. Some bases may store private weapons in lockers at the gate, and some keep them at the armory. I have heard of others refusing entry to anyone with a private weapon, but never encountered it myself.

At NWS Charleston, I brought my 1911 to work every day. I declared it at the gate, filled out my registration form, cleared it in front of security personnel outside the back door, and locked it up in a small locker at the gate house. On my way out the gate I stopped by to pick it up.

It really all depends upon the person in charge of the facility.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Not exactly true.

The individual officers in command at each military installation have generally been given discretionary authority to set firearm rules on base.

I don't know if that is entirely true. It's a federal law. I don't know how the few situation where we can bring a gun on base are legal.

And to the OP:

Don't you love how you took an oath to support and defend the constitution with your life yet you can't carry a ******* gun on your way to and from base?
feels-bad-man-.jpg

r.j.s

Not exactly true.

The individual officers in command at each military installation have generally been given discretionary authority to set firearm rules on base. Typically, you may declare your weapon at the gate, register it, and leave it in the custody of the designated person(s), to be retrieved later when you exit. Some bases may store private weapons in lockers at the gate, and some keep them at the armory. I have heard of others refusing entry to anyone with a private weapon, but never encountered it myself.

At NWS Charleston, I brought my 1911 to work every day. I declared it at the gate, filled out my registration form, cleared it in front of security personnel outside the back door, and locked it up in a small locker at the gate house. On my way out the gate I stopped by to pick it up.

It really all depends upon the person in charge of the facility.

No, it is true ... and the situation you describe is just how that base commander decided to deal with people bringing them to the gate.

There are some exceptions to the federal laws for military installations and privately-owned weapons for members of the military assigned to the installation. I know people who live on an Army installation and own firearms - they have to store them in the unit arms room. As a matter of fact, I took 4 weapons onto a military installation today, to go to the on-post shooting club - but, they had to be locked in the trunk and my path had to go directly from the gate to the range and then directly out the gate when I was finished - no other stops were allowed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Don't you love how you took an oath to support and defend the constitution with your life yet you can't carry a ******* gun on your way to and from base?

Oh, they're just trying to help our fine upstanding servicemen fulfill that oath.

/sarcasm