• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman should not use guns!

BaconMan

Most women only kill in self-defense and when they do they use the method most available to them at the time. So imagine if a women could not use a firearm, there will be more guys hacked up in their sleep, poisoned, beat with skillets and bats and lets not forget seriously burned by hot grits then beat with a bat or frying pan....guys everywhere would be sleeping with one eye open. And that show "Snapped" would be aired like an episode of "Cops" or "America's Most Wanted" on Fox TV instead of just on the Lifetime channel....:uhoh:

SFCRetired

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the thought occurs to me that we need to support someone taking the Violence Policy Center's propaganda, doing the proper research, and then publishing a strong, as in armor-clad, rebuttal.

I may be fooling myself, but it would seem to me that an extensively researched, well-written rebuttal just might attract someone willing to publish it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I do think you are fooling yourself. Other folks have re-run VPC data and showed the flaws in the conclusions as opposed to the statistics and nobody cared. VPC does not care. The folks that blindly swallow and regurgitate VPC's party line don't care. The mainstream media don't care (but them they are mainly part of the folks who regurgitate without question). And he pro-gun side already knows the conclusions are skewed to prove a point, as opposed to pointing to proof.

For my mobey it's better use of resources to make the rebuttals to the press that published their spewings. We may not change a single mind with logic and fact but at least those who do not bother to actually read the data and see if the conclusions are supported will hear that someone challenged those conclusions.

Keep in mind our fight is not against facts but against emotions. To win that fight we need to win on emotions - even if our emotions are driven by facts and not distortions.

stay safe.

Deanimator

Gun control: The theory that 110lb women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

VPC isn't against self-defense.

They're against EFFECTIVE self-defense that LESSENS the likelihood that the victims, especially women, will be harmed and that the crime will be successfully carried out.

They don't mind if a woman "defends" herself, so long as the attempt fails and she's seriously injured or killed in the process.

They consider a serious beating "foreplay".

since9

Campaign Veteran
Gun control: The theory that 110lb women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

I'd say their attitude is that it's more of an "obligation," given their gross distortion and misuse of the information they have at hand.

VPC isn't against self-defense. They're against EFFECTIVE self-defense that LESSENS the likelihood that the victims, especially women, will be harmed and that the crime will be successfully carried out.

Simplified, they're against self-defense. Perhaps they believe that any chick armed with a couple of martial arts classes should easily be able to defend herself against anyone. This is one of the undesirable products of Hollywood. Don't get me wrong, I watch more movies than most. Long ago, however, my grandfather gave me a grain of salt, and it's lasted thus far.

Whatever nuts ran the stats are VPC don't even measure up to high-school standards. It's not gross. It's absurd.

frommycolddeadhands

lol same. I made it about three paragraphs in and then realized they were misinterpreting the data, skipped down to the conclusion, and then realized the writer doesn't know what they're talking about (or how to interpret data).

^^^^This.

I didn't even bother skimming to the bottom to see the conclusion. It was perfectly clear to me that the author was full of bs within the first few paragraphs, so I really didn't care what conclusion he came to.

Deanimator

This is one of the undesirable products of Hollywood. Don't get me wrong, I watch more movies than most. Long ago, however, my grandfather gave me a grain of salt, and it's lasted thus far.
I'm fond of telling such simpletons, "Xena, Warrior Princess" was NOT a documentary."

Daylen

If women are unarmed and don't carry a pistol on their hip what will they use to balance the child on the other hip?

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
If women are unarmed and don't carry a pistol on their hip what will they use to balance the child on the other hip?

Or, "If women are unarmed and don't carry a pistol on their hip, what will they use to protect the child on the other hip?"

As my wife commented about the Million Moron March a few years ago, "What kind of a mother would I be if I left my children at the mercy of anyone bigger and stronger than me?"

I also liked what she said about the "Take Back the Night" campaign; "I'll take back a lot more night with a gun than with some stupid slogan."