• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Naional Park Open Carry

twant4

I live in Fl and planning a trip to Great Smoky Mtn National Park (TN). I'm doing some back country hiking and trying to figure out this whole firearms in parks thing. From what I can determine, you can carry a handgun in a park in accordance with the applicable state law. In Fl you can open carry while camping etc., from what I can understand about TN, you can carry if you have a permit in another state. In Fl you dont need a permit. Basically, where do I stand?

hermannr

I would suggest you post this question on the TN specific board. Additional information may be helpful, like, how old you are, and if you posses a FL CPL.

Mojoe

Carry in Natl parks

The question remains about open carrying in a National Park. I am well over 21, have a CWP for SC, Utah and all of the reciprocal states. Can I open carry while hiking in NC or TN national parks? I was under the impression that national parks were under Fed rules and state parks under state. Can anyone answer this question decisively?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The question remains about open carrying in a National Park. I am well over 21, have a CWP for SC, Utah and all of the reciprocal states. Can I open carry while hiking in NC or TN national parks? I was under the impression that national parks were under Fed rules and state parks under state. Can anyone answer this question decisively?

Firearms are allowed in National Parks subject to the state laws in which the park is located. Please note that guns are however not allowed in facilities where NPS emplyees regularly work - they must be so posted.
http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=962

hermannr

The NPS wishes to ignore the exemption written into the law for "hunting and other lawful purposes" to the federal facilities.

What the LAW (18 USC 930) really says is: You cannot carry into a Federal Court Building. Read it. Of course, you will have to be the test case in court to prove to the NPS that SD is a "lawful reason" and is exempt from their nonsense.

dmatting

If you plan on carrying within National Parks inside of NC, you need to know where the gamelands are. That is because North Carolina has restrictions on carrying within Gamelands - and many of the NC Gamelands overlay the national parks. If you are in a national park in NC and you know that the area you are in is not part of the gamelands, then you can open carry. If it is part of the gamelands, then you can't carry at all (except for something like a .22). There are some proposed changes to the rules for the next season with regards to carrying concealed, but they have not been adopted yet.

you can go here ... http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/WheretoHunt/PublicPlaces.aspx ... and click on the interactive gameland maps. Zoom in one the western part of the state and you will see how the gameland areas are layed out within the national parks.

I don't know anything about TN in regards to this.

Dreamer

If you plan on carrying within National Parks inside of NC, you need to know where the gamelands are. That is because North Carolina has restrictions on carrying within Gamelands - and many of the NC Gamelands overlay the national parks. If you are in a national park in NC and you know that the area you are in is not part of the gamelands, then you can open carry. If it is part of the gamelands, then you can't carry at all (except for something like a .22). There are some proposed changes to the rules for the next season with regards to carrying concealed, but they have not been adopted yet.

I have OCed at the Wright Brothers National Monument Park, with no issues. Just don't carry into the museum or gift shop...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have OCed at the Wright Brothers National Monument Park, with no issues. Just don't carry into the museum or gift shop...

Federal law continues to prohibit the possession of firearms in designated “federal facilities” in national parks, for example, visitor centers, offices, or maintenance buildings. These places are posted with “firearms prohibited” signs at public entrances.
http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=962

Dreamer

lol I flew into that place with a gun on my hip not too long ago.

The best thing about my visit to the WBNM was the group of 30 or so German students there on a field trip. (They appeared to be high-school age). One of the boys asked me if I was police. I said, "no, just a citizen". He didn't believe me, but my sister confirmed it. They started to gather around and ask me questions--was it registered, was it expensive, did I need a permit to carry it, etc, etc, etc. I answered all their questions, with a little lesson on US and NC law, and Civics, and I handed them several copies of my "NC Gun Rights" brochures. I bet that was the coolest brochure that most of them got during their trip.

The girls for the most part didn't seem very interested. The boys were all VERY interested though. And NONE of them appeared to be afraid, terrified, or threatened.

I think what won them over (especially the few girls who were interested) was when one of the girls asked me "why do you need a gun". I told them because I was there with my family on a short vacation, and that I loved them very much, and it was my DUTY as a Citizen and a Man to be prepared for anything that might happen, because the police have NO DUTY to protect us. Whe you talk about LOVE, RESPONSIBILITY, and FAMILY as the reason to carry, you reach a lot more people than when you talk about the Constitution, or LEO's not having a duty to protect, or the old "crimes can happen anywhere" line.

When we left, they all seemed to be seeign things my way, but they all said there was NO WAY that you could do that in Germany--even if you have a permit, you must carry concealed, or you would get harassed and probably arrested by the police. I told them that in SOME states here in the US, it was like that too, but I rarely visited those places, because I don't like to go places where the police are more of a threat to my safety than the criminals...

Oh Shoot

you can go here ... http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/WheretoHunt/PublicPlaces.aspx ... and click on the interactive gameland maps. Zoom in one the western part of the state and you will see how the gameland areas are layed out within the national parks.

I don't know anything about TN in regards to this.

We don't have anything like that in TN, and the way you explain makes little sense to me, since you can't hunt in National Parks, including those in NC, so I'm at a loss as to why you could carry "something like a .22" yet other calibers are banned.

- OS

dmatting

We don't have anything like that in TN, and the way you explain makes little sense to me, since you can't hunt in National Parks, including those in NC, so I'm at a loss as to why you could carry "something like a .22" yet other calibers are banned.

With Session Law 268 (was HB650) coming into effect on Dec 1, some of the rules are changing with regards to carrying while hunting. One will be able to carry a handgun concealed if they have a CHP. My comment regarding the .22 was a bit vague - you are allowed to dispatch with a rimfire .22 during archery and muzzleloader season - I was posting from memory and I don't have much of that anymore.

With regards to gamelands in North Carolina, there are numerous gameland areas that coincide with National Parks within NC. All I can tell you is to follow the link I provided in my previous post and go to the interactive gamelands maps. These will show you the borders of the gamelands and very clearly show that many of them are within National Parks.