Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Press Shocker

Daily Press Shocker

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nw...2421162.column

I've been reading the Daily Press for about 25 years, and for about the first 20 or so, it was a predictably knee-jerk anti gun newspaper. Its headquarters were in Chacago, which was about all one needed to know. Many of their editorials were quite condescending, as if the editors were missionaries to the primitive Southland, sent to educate us poor, benighted and backward rubes. For many years, one of their chief columnists was one Jim Spencer, who never met a gun he didin't hate, no matter the circumstances. In more recent years, the paper has become notably more centrist (which is to say "far right" in the minds of most other journalists). A few years back, Ms. Dietrich made mention in a column that she was considering getting a CCW herself. That alone would have been apostasy during the paper's old regime. Now this. Good Lord, next they'll start running an "Armed Citizen" column just like the NRA magazine.

And I'll bet Tamara DOES have a CCW by now.
    Last edited by Dutch Uncle; 10-02-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Thumbs up

Nice.

That is certainly surprising.

Yeah the Daily Press has always had a "professional agitator" on staff as a columnist. Jim Spenser filled that role for many years, and now those duties are split by Dietrich and David Squires.

Tamara's position in today's (10/2/2011) D/P isn't new for her. She's established herself as pro-gun as an option for self defense. However, she's also been critical of several recent rulings by local Commonwealth's Attorneys on this issue, and occasionally skims some facts. I've raised an eyebrow myself on some of those same cases.

In general though, the D/P has moved to a position that "Guns aren't always bad.".
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Hades done gone and froze over?

Like y'all, I almost fell outa my chair this morning when I got to the bottom of Frau Tammy's Sunday column. Maybe she figured out that when seconds counted in this case, law enforcement was only a day away. Seriously, maybe we should invite her to the next dinner...seems to me when Ashley Kelly attended a dinner in Yorktown a few years back, she has been fairly even-handed in her reporting after spending the evening talking with Sheriff Danny Diggs, T33J and myself.

Will be interesting later this week when David Squires posts his "Bobby Scott"-approved talking points in rebuttal.

Daily press is owned by Tribune. The reporters definately seem to be a bunch of liberals, but I've noticed over the past months that the editors seem more conservative based on their "where the paper stands" op ed's that have been appearing on the editorial pages. Couldn't believe it when I noticed the first conservitave leaning op ed a few months ago, but they keep comming. I just keep thinking - "Wow I can't believe it Tribune is going to fire them! but they haven't yet. Go figure.

OMG, I have a humongous and unwieldy vocabulary and regularly get over 500 in Scrabble and I had to look up that word. Congrats, that's a first, lol.

Apostasy is the formal disaffiliation from or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person

It's a bit off from the formal meaning but for some dogma and religion are the same.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

It is a pretty normal article until the last three lines. We have been preaching this for years!

... to buy a handgun, learn how to use it, then keep it close at all times.
    Crystal Ragin was found with a cell phone in her lifeless hand.
    A pity she didn't have something more substantial.

It brought to mind my favorite gun commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJnwEO4rBw

Having two daughters that are trained to shoot I hope they aren't legislated/policied/regulationed away from having it when/if they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    OMG, I have a humongous and unwieldy vocabulary and regularly get over 500 in Scrabble and I had to look up that word. Congrats, that's a first, lol.

Apostasy is the formal disaffiliation from or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person

It's a bit off from the formal meaning but for some dogma and religion are the same.

Maybe I just shoulda said heresy. In any event, for many practitioners, leftism is indeed like a religion, hence my use of religious terminology.

And yeah, in school I was one of those aggravating eggheads who knew all the 50 cent words. I'm not trying to stump anyone here, guys. I just have some sort of Scrabble-ready brain.

I've never seen that ad before! THAT was a RIOT!!!

Thanks for sharing, Jim!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Maybe I just shoulda said heresy. In any event, for many practitioners, leftism is indeed like a religion, hence my use of religious terminology.

And yeah, in school I was one of those aggravating eggheads who knew all the 50 cent words. I'm not trying to stump anyone here, guys. I just have some sort of Scrabble-ready brain.
    Nevertheless you do enjoy a little sesquipedalianism every now and then and that is only half a yard.

Have to wonder if John Browning ever used words of that size.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nw...2421162.column

And I'll bet Tamara DOES have a CCW by now.
    If she is in VA then I sincerely doubt she has a CCW. A CHP is a possibility, but a CCW does not exist.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    I've never seen that ad before! THAT was a RIOT!!!

Thanks for sharing, Jim!
    What would Andy Goddard think?

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    What would Andy Goddard think?

The operative question is WHO CARES what Andy Goddard says. Nice kid, but too young to be a spokesman for any organization. When he is middle-aged, he will look back and say "Man, was I ever snookered! I hope none of my friends or family still remember that embarrassment."

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Nevertheless you do enjoy a little sesquipedalianism every now and then and that is only half a yard.

Have to wonder if John Browning ever used words of that size.

Well, Grapeshot, except for the fact that sesquipedalianism tends to obfuscate pellucidity, it is otherwise a rather pleasant pasttime.

Well, Grapeshot, except for the fact that sesquipedalianism tends to obfuscate pellucidity, it is otherwise a rather pleasant pasttime.

LOL - ya got me on the last one - had to visit Noah.

Made it a good day though as I learned something.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

The operative question is WHO CARES what Andy Goddard says. Nice kid, but too young to be a spokesman for any organization. When he is middle-aged, he will look back and say "Man, was I ever snookered! I hope none of my friends or family still remember that embarrassment."
    Just to be pedantic, Andy Goddard is the middle-aged father of Colin Goddard.

And here's hoping that he is in fact making the statement you predicted he would.

And that his son does likewise.

As for you and Grapeshot trading vocabulary - I remind you that whenever possible one must eschew obfuscation.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Just to be pedantic, Andy Goddard is the middle-aged father of Colin Goddard.

And here's hoping that he is in fact making the statement you predicted he would.

And that his son does likewise.

As for you and Grapeshot trading vocabulary - I remind you that whenever possible one must eschew obfuscation.

stay safe.
    That we all espouse pellucidity was I believe Dutch Uncle's not so subtle, pragmatistic point.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    http://mscomposts.wordpress.com/2009...s-pellucidity/
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Cool

Actually Grape, as I think about it, I didn't use a long, multisyllabic word. Aposatsy is only 4 syllables. If you consider that "long" then if I were to use a word like "damnyankee" you'd be scratching your head at all those letters, and "muzzleloader" would put you right over the edge!

And sorry about confusing Colin with Andy. My bad.
    Last edited by Dutch Uncle; 10-05-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Is There a Trend Developing?

From today's (10/7/2011) D/P Editorial:

"This is national newspaper week. It's a time created by journalists and newspaper publishing executives to commemorate our craft and to reflect on why we do what we do. Those of us who toil every day writing, producing and delivering a daily newspaper, regardless of the format our readers choose, do it for many reasons. But at the core, we do it for freedom.

History shows us there are two primary pillars to any free society: a free press which is manifested in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the right to bear arms, our Second Amendment.

Virtually every despot in the modern world did two things upon seizing power: confiscate weapons and abolish the free press. Often those who dared to publish were jailed — or executed."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opini...,3370958.story
    Last edited by 2a4all; 10-07-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Format adjustment
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

I am completely gobsmacked!

In 25 years this is, I believe, the first time the DP has actually given the 2nd amendment its due. I wonder what the Tribune people think of this, this...heresy!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Andy Goddard says. Nice kid, but too young to be a spokesman
    It's easy to keep them all in their proper files.

Think of the Three Stooges, Andy, Lauri and Mr. Rosasea.
    Now Colin is the other one...can't say he's a nice kid though.

Worth the full read

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    From today's (10/7/2011) D/P Editorial:

"This is national newspaper week. It's a time created by journalists and newspaper publishing executives to commemorate our craft and to reflect on why we do what we do. Those of us who toil every day writing, producing and delivering a daily newspaper, regardless of the format our readers choose, do it for many reasons. But at the core, we do it for freedom.

History shows us there are two primary pillars to any free society: a free press which is manifested in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the right to bear arms, our Second Amendment.

Virtually every despot in the modern world did two things upon seizing power: confiscate weapons and abolish the free press. Often those who dared to publish were jailed or executed."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opini...,3370958.story
    Excellent editorial, I recommend clicking through to read the whole thing.

It really hammers home just how dangerous it is when certain elements of the press are in the government's pocket.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Excellent editorial, I recommend clicking through to read the whole thing.

It really hammers home just how dangerous it is when certain elements of the press are in the government's pocket.

TFred
    I wonder if it could be used against them TFred?

There are criteria for press pass holders. With the Va. General Assembly they include this:

The news organization must (i) work
    independently of any government, industry, or
    institution and (ii) not engage, directly or indirectly,
    in any lobbying, political activity, or other activity
    intended to influence elections or any matter before
    the General Assembly
    or before any independent
    agency, or any department or other instrumentality of
    the Executive Branch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast