• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daily Press Shocker

2a4all

Is There a Trend Developing?

From today's (10/7/2011) D/P Editorial:

"This is national newspaper week. It's a time created by journalists and newspaper publishing executives to commemorate our craft and to reflect on why we do what we do. Those of us who toil every day writing, producing and delivering a daily newspaper, regardless of the format our readers choose, do it for many reasons. But at the core, we do it for freedom.

History shows us there are two primary pillars to any free society: a free press which is manifested in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the right to bear arms, our Second Amendment.

Virtually every despot in the modern world did two things upon seizing power: confiscate weapons and abolish the free press. Often those who dared to publish were jailed — or executed."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-edt-newspapers-editorial-1007-2-20111006,0,3370958.story

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I am completely gobsmacked!

In 25 years this is, I believe, the first time the DP has actually given the 2nd amendment its due. I wonder what the Tribune people think of this, this...heresy!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Andy Goddard says. Nice kid, but too young to be a spokesman

It's easy to keep them all in their proper files.

Think of the Three Stooges, Andy, Lauri and Mr. Rosasea.
Now Colin is the other one...can't say he's a nice kid though.

TFred

Worth the full read

From today's (10/7/2011) D/P Editorial:

"This is national newspaper week. It's a time created by journalists and newspaper publishing executives to commemorate our craft and to reflect on why we do what we do. Those of us who toil every day writing, producing and delivering a daily newspaper, regardless of the format our readers choose, do it for many reasons. But at the core, we do it for freedom.

History shows us there are two primary pillars to any free society: a free press which is manifested in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the right to bear arms, our Second Amendment.

Virtually every despot in the modern world did two things upon seizing power: confiscate weapons and abolish the free press. Often those who dared to publish were jailed — or executed."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-edt-newspapers-editorial-1007-2-20111006,0,3370958.story
Excellent editorial, I recommend clicking through to read the whole thing.

It really hammers home just how dangerous it is when certain elements of the press are in the government's pocket.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Excellent editorial, I recommend clicking through to read the whole thing.

It really hammers home just how dangerous it is when certain elements of the press are in the government's pocket.

TFred

I wonder if it could be used against them TFred?

There are criteria for press pass holders. With the Va. General Assembly they include this:

The news organization must (i) work
independently of any government, industry, or
institution and (ii) not engage, directly or indirectly,
in any lobbying, political activity, or other activity
intended to influence elections or any matter before
the General Assembly
or before any independent
agency, or any department or other instrumentality of
the Executive Branch

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You mean one could not be a lobbyist and a member of the press corps at the same time? I mean what......ohh... ah, never mind. Gotta go now. :eek: