• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daily Press Shocker

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-tamara-order-1002-20111001,0,2421162.column

I've been reading the Daily Press for about 25 years, and for about the first 20 or so, it was a predictably knee-jerk anti gun newspaper. Its headquarters were in Chacago, which was about all one needed to know. Many of their editorials were quite condescending, as if the editors were missionaries to the primitive Southland, sent to educate us poor, benighted and backward rubes. For many years, one of their chief columnists was one Jim Spencer, who never met a gun he didin't hate, no matter the circumstances. In more recent years, the paper has become notably more centrist (which is to say "far right" in the minds of most other journalists). A few years back, Ms. Dietrich made mention in a column that she was considering getting a CCW herself. That alone would have been apostasy during the paper's old regime. Now this. Good Lord, next they'll start running an "Armed Citizen" column just like the NRA magazine.

And I'll bet Tamara DOES have a CCW by now.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
That is certainly surprising.

Yeah the Daily Press has always had a "professional agitator" on staff as a columnist. Jim Spenser filled that role for many years, and now those duties are split by Dietrich and David Squires.

2a4all

Tamara's position in today's (10/2/2011) D/P isn't new for her. She's established herself as pro-gun as an option for self defense. However, she's also been critical of several recent rulings by local Commonwealth's Attorneys on this issue, and occasionally skims some facts. I've raised an eyebrow myself on some of those same cases.

In general though, the D/P has moved to a position that "Guns aren't always bad.".

apollosmom

Hades done gone and froze over?

Like y'all, I almost fell outa my chair this morning when I got to the bottom of Frau Tammy's Sunday column. Maybe she figured out that when seconds counted in this case, law enforcement was only a day away. Seriously, maybe we should invite her to the next dinner...seems to me when Ashley Kelly attended a dinner in Yorktown a few years back, she has been fairly even-handed in her reporting after spending the evening talking with Sheriff Danny Diggs, T33J and myself.

Will be interesting later this week when David Squires posts his "Bobby Scott"-approved talking points in rebuttal.

mobeewan

Daily press is owned by Tribune. The reporters definately seem to be a bunch of liberals, but I've noticed over the past months that the editors seem more conservative based on their "where the paper stands" op ed's that have been appearing on the editorial pages. Couldn't believe it when I noticed the first conservitave leaning op ed a few months ago, but they keep comming. I just keep thinking - "Wow I can't believe it Tribune is going to fire them! but they haven't yet. Go figure.

Badger Johnson

OMG, I have a humongous and unwieldy vocabulary and regularly get over 500 in Scrabble and I had to look up that word. Congrats, that's a first, lol.

Apostasy is the formal disaffiliation from or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person

It's a bit off from the formal meaning but for some dogma and religion are the same.

45acpForMe

It is a pretty normal article until the last three lines. We have been preaching this for years!

... to buy a handgun, learn how to use it, then keep it close at all times.
Crystal Ragin was found with a cell phone in her lifeless hand.
A pity she didn't have something more substantial.

It brought to mind my favorite gun commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJnwEO4rBw

Having two daughters that are trained to shoot I hope they aren't legislated/policied/regulationed away from having it when/if they need it.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
OMG, I have a humongous and unwieldy vocabulary and regularly get over 500 in Scrabble and I had to look up that word. Congrats, that's a first, lol.

Apostasy is the formal disaffiliation from or abandonment or renunciation of a religion by a person

It's a bit off from the formal meaning but for some dogma and religion are the same.

Maybe I just shoulda said heresy. In any event, for many practitioners, leftism is indeed like a religion, hence my use of religious terminology.

And yeah, in school I was one of those aggravating eggheads who knew all the 50 cent words. I'm not trying to stump anyone here, guys. I just have some sort of Scrabble-ready brain.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maybe I just shoulda said heresy. In any event, for many practitioners, leftism is indeed like a religion, hence my use of religious terminology.

And yeah, in school I was one of those aggravating eggheads who knew all the 50 cent words. I'm not trying to stump anyone here, guys. I just have some sort of Scrabble-ready brain.

Nevertheless you do enjoy a little sesquipedalianism every now and then and that is only half a yard.

Have to wonder if John Browning ever used words of that size. :lol:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
What would Andy Goddard think?

The operative question is WHO CARES what Andy Goddard says. Nice kid, but too young to be a spokesman for any organization. When he is middle-aged, he will look back and say "Man, was I ever snookered! I hope none of my friends or family still remember that embarrassment."

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Nevertheless you do enjoy a little sesquipedalianism every now and then and that is only half a yard.

Have to wonder if John Browning ever used words of that size. :lol:

Well, Grapeshot, except for the fact that sesquipedalianism tends to obfuscate pellucidity, it is otherwise a rather pleasant pasttime.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, Grapeshot, except for the fact that sesquipedalianism tends to obfuscate pellucidity, it is otherwise a rather pleasant pasttime.

LOL - ya got me on the last one - had to visit Noah.

Made it a good day though as I learned something.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The operative question is WHO CARES what Andy Goddard says. Nice kid, but too young to be a spokesman for any organization. When he is middle-aged, he will look back and say "Man, was I ever snookered! I hope none of my friends or family still remember that embarrassment."

Just to be pedantic, Andy Goddard is the middle-aged father of Colin Goddard.

And here's hoping that he is in fact making the statement you predicted he would.

And that his son does likewise.

As for you and Grapeshot trading vocabulary - I remind you that whenever possible one must eschew obfuscation.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just to be pedantic, Andy Goddard is the middle-aged father of Colin Goddard.

And here's hoping that he is in fact making the statement you predicted he would.

And that his son does likewise.

As for you and Grapeshot trading vocabulary - I remind you that whenever possible one must eschew obfuscation.

stay safe.

That we all espouse pellucidity was I believe Dutch Uncle's not so subtle, pragmatistic point.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Actually Grape, as I think about it, I didn't use a long, multisyllabic word. Aposatsy is only 4 syllables. If you consider that "long" then if I were to use a word like "damnyankee" you'd be scratching your head at all those letters, and "muzzleloader" would put you right over the edge!

And sorry about confusing Colin with Andy. My bad.

Last edited: