• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eventful day ocing in my own front yard!!

Johnburns15

Today around 1:30 pm I decided to go out and do some yard work. About half way through a police officer pulls up in front of my house, and within 5 minutes 2 more cars pull in behind him. All 3 exit their cars and make their way toward me.
Me: how are you doing this fine day?
Officer 1: I'm doing great and yourself?
Me: I'm doing good. Is there a problem officer?
Officer 2: I don't know, you tell...
Officer 1: (interrupting officer 2) no, no problem. We had a call about a white male unlawfully carrying a firearm at this location
Me: and you would be referring to me because of the pistol on my right side?
Officer 1: well you are the person the complaint was about, but from what I see, you are not "unlawfully" carrying. I drove by 15 minutes before the call came in and had seen your firearm on your hip at that time also.
Me: then why are you here?
Officer 3: it was a 911 call so we just had to check into it, but you're doing nothing illegal, and I have to get going to another call. Have a good day.
Officer 1: I knew you weren't doing anything illegal when I arrived, but we had to make sure. A "concerned citizen" called in complaining that you were doing yard work and you woke her, and we told her you were allowed to do your yard work, even if it is on a Sunday. And 5 minutes later she made a 911 call stating you were illegally carrying the firearm.
Me: there's nothing illegal with it, maybe she needs someone to explain that to her.
Officer 2: we will send her a letter with the kentucky statutes explaining this to her.

So it wasn't exactly a negative experience, just an uninformed neighbor. LOL. But the only reason I decided to post this was to show that there are alot of LEOs that are educated in the laws, and don't have a problem with ocing. I talked to the 2 remaining officers for nearly an hour about firearms, and that somehow the public needs to be educated on firearms and firearm laws in kentucky.

PistolPackingMomma

Glad they were professional and the encounter went well!!! The little devil on my shoulder thinks you should complain to the officers about a neighbor making false claims and abusing the 911 system...

Johnburns15

Actually me and the first 2 officers did talk about that. And after they'd left my property they both walked across the street.
But yes, it was great that they were very professional about it.