• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Police Department stop #12 for me

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. The police are our protectors, and deserve our unconditional cooperation and support in everything they do.

Of course! the officer retaliated. Of course! the officer pushed back as hard as he could in the face of a refusal to submit to his authority and comply with his wishes. There was nothing at all wrong with this.

The fact the other officer stood by and let it all happen is proof there was nothing wrong with the officer's actions. Everybody knows that police take a very dim view of the very, very few rights-violator cops and will instantly interrupt even the slightest suggestion of a violation. I'll wager internal affairs won't even investigate this encounter, which would be more proof that it was by-the-book and proper.

/sarcasm

NHCGRPR45

Right after I was disarmed, you will hear the LEO on the recording demand I.D. saying that I have to have it on me, saying we dont know who you are, youre a John Doe. I protest and tell him that Michigan isnt a "stop and identify state" and that in order to for me to have to identify myself I they must cite me for some code violation. In the background you will hear his partner reminding him that I said I didnt have a license of the bicycle. So at that point the primary LEO said he was going to cite me for the bicycle violation so as to force me to identify myself.

How very investigative of him! Making rule and procedure AND codes up as he goes!

Do we need a bicycle OC event? If I had a good place to park I'd be up for it!

IN! But i'll have to ride on somebodies handle bars! EESSH I can feel laser beams of LEOS eyes already! Hey CMDR, you can come and ride your bike around in my parking lot at the BLVD and Michigan ave anytime you want to! Then there will be at least 1 armed person who is LEGAL! I work saturday and sun 7am to 10 pm I have free water for you and a bathroom! love to see ya!:banana:

alphamale

Iceman has much more patience than I.

This was removed from city code back in 2008 and this Officer has no clue? Sounds like he knew and may be in the arena of harassment, and the mere fact iceman has been pulled over this many times starts to sound like the California Walkman case.

OK, found it... actually an article about it because IT WAS REMOVED from the municipal code and made VOLUNTARY. Don't buy the license just yet!!!

http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2009/05/07/hearing-for-new-detroit-bicycle-registration/

http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2008/07/28/committee-votes-to-drop-bike-license-fines/

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
What was the reason for the stop? If the stop was unlawful, everything done after that would be fruit from the poisonous tree and inadmissible, Correct?

Gunslinger

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. The police are our protectors, and deserve our unconditional cooperation and support in everything they do.

Of course! the officer retaliated. Of course! the officer pushed back as hard as he could in the face of a refusal to submit to his authority and comply with his wishes. There was nothing at all wrong with this.

The fact the other officer stood by and let it all happen is proof there was nothing wrong with the officer's actions. Everybody knows that police take a very dim view of the very, very few rights-violator cops and will instantly interrupt even the slightest suggestion of a violation. I'll wager internal affairs won't even investigate this encounter, which would be more proof that it was by-the-book and proper.

/sarcasm

Respect my authoritie! Where the moron cops on trikes like Cartman? You are lucky you weren't gunned down for not displaying the subject mentality our "protectors" demand. Were the swat clowns called? If not, you got off lucky with just an unlawful ticket.

wrightme

Right after I was disarmed, you will hear the LEO on the recording demand I.D. saying that I have to have it on me, saying we dont know who you are, youre a John Doe. I protest and tell him that Michigan isnt a "stop and identify state" and that in order to for me to have to identify myself I they must cite me for some code violation. In the background you will hear his partner reminding him that I said I didnt have a license of the bicycle. So at that point the primary LEO said he was going to cite me for the bicycle violation so as to force me to identify myself.

And then they did.

WHY did you add the portion in red......

wrightme

I asked him was I being detained and he said “No” but when I asked him whether I was free to go he said “No” and kept insisting that I answer his questions. I refused to disclose whether I had a CPL and explained to him that I didn’t need one to OC. He became very agitated and vocally regretted his “soft shoe” approach saying that perhaps if he had approached me being an A-hole he would’ve gotten better results. He said “I’m going to ask you one more time, then we‘re going to have to do this the hard way.”

Once he answered the first question, the second was redundant. Shoulda left when he indicated that you were NOT being detained.

Badger Johnson

Once he answered the first question, the second was redundant. Shoulda left when he indicated that you were NOT being detained.

The only logical conclusion is that these policemen did not know the meaning of 'being detained'. I don't think any other LEO in the US would say 'you are not being detained, and yes you cannot go', or words to that effect. Not being detained means to EVERYONE in the system that you are free to go but I believe it's safer to ask "am I free to go", to be sure you don't get shot in the back'. (sorry, it's pretty clear that this was a real danger in this instance)

I thought this kind of thing only happened in Rambo movies. :(

Last edited:

Venator

The only logical conclusion is that these policemen did not know the meaning of 'being detained'. I don't think any other LEO in the US would say 'you are not being detained, and yes you cannot go', or words to that effect. Not being detained means to EVERYONE in the system that you are free to go but I believe it's safer to ask "am I free to go", to be sure you don't get shot in the back'. (sorry, it's pretty clear that this was a real danger in this instance)

I thought this kind of thing only happened in Rambo movies. :(

That's one of the reasons the OP wears a bullet resistance vest when riding in Detroit.

cmdr_iceman71

What was the reason for the stop? If the stop was unlawful, everything done after that would be fruit from the poisonous tree and inadmissible, Correct?

That is a very good question because as I wrote in my original post, they approached me and were rather amiable, the driver using his "homeboy" voice and demeanor to get me to let my guard down. But I was in no mood to talk with the police I just wanted to cycle. The very first question out of my mouth was "Am I being detained?" And the LEO who was driving took immediate offense and basically claimed I was overreacting and needed to calm down. He said "Dang, I’m just asking you a question." After refusing to answer any of the LEOs questions I asked "Am I free to go?" he replied "No." Bottom line he never articulated why he effected the stop. It was only after it became apparent that I wasn’t going to identify myself nor share whether I had a valid CPL did he begin frantically looking for a code violation.

But as a law-abiding citizen I wasn't about to bow and scrape before this LEO in exchange for my liberty or property.

Venator

That is a very good question because as I wrote in my original post, they approached me and were rather amiable, the driver using his "homeboy" voice and demeanor to get me to let my guard down. But I was in no mood to talk with the police I just wanted to cycle. The very first question out of my mouth was "Am I being detained?" And the LEO who was driving took immediate offense and basically claimed I was overreacting and needed to calm down. He said "Dang, I’m just asking you a question." After refusing to answer any of the LEOs questions I asked "Am I free to go?" he replied "No." Bottom line he never articulated why he effected the stop. It was only after it became apparent that I wasn’t going to identify myself nor share whether I had a valid CPL did he begin frantically looking for a code violation.

But as a law-abiding citizen I wasn't about to bow and scrape before this LEO in exchange for my liberty or property.

Well it sounds like the stop was for the gun. Your recording should bear out that the citation was for not IDing and the stop was unlawful to begin with.

But since it appears there is no license requirement for a bike it should be dismissed.