Thread: Want out of Denver!

Want out of Denver!

Well, I have until Oct 7th to give my 2 month notice to my landlord if I'm gonna vacate or stay. Thing is I'm currently in the PDR of Denver, which a lot of you guys already know. Currently, I pay $535/mo base rent in the DTC area which is unheard of! They will increase rent another $65 if i renew, which is BS to me (good way to drive tenants away!) It's a decent place with washer/dryer, wood burning fireplace, dishwasher, central air, etc. But it's still Denver. I've been getting some alarmed looks recently from my neighbors this past week! I've been on vacation all week, so every single day I was bringing cased rifles in and out. Pistols in range bags in and out to/from home to car. Denver police making daily runs. Never saw a Denver cop around here prior to my vacation. PDR residents don't like that and I know I'm well within my rights! Been doing a lot of range time, plus National Forest, and some smithing trying to diagnose some family members gun issues, so hence lots of guns!

I think it's time for me to move! To a more OC friendly town! I would love to move to Monument or the Springs if I can find a job down there! And an affordable place. I've been here in the Metro area all my life, it's time for a change! Also, I wouldn't mind having an OC friendly housemate. It's just time for me to get out of here! I want to start fresh, new job, new place to live, new friends, and an OC friendly town!

Please keep remarks respectable! I would like to make this move in life. I just feel like I'm not getting anywhere in Denver or the Metro area, plus it's time for a change. It doesn't hurt for one to expand on his horizons!
    Last edited by Keens; 10-03-2011 at 12:17 AM.

The cheapest 1 BR I found here in the Springs that wasn't a dive was $550. I currently pay $905 for my 1 BR, but that includes extra for a storage garage as well as a covered carport. It's $795 for just the rent, but it's in a nice complex, with pool, jacuzzi, and a great gym.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

scubabeme
    What skill sets do you possess for job hunting purposes? (likely help to determine location). I can't speak to jobs in CS, but I'm sure someone on here can.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    The cheapest 1 BR I found here in the Springs that wasn't a dive was $550. I currently pay $905 for my 1 BR, but that includes extra for a storage garage as well as a covered carport. It's $795 for just the rent, but it's in a nice complex, with pool, jacuzzi, and a great gym.
    I always thought the CS area was cheaper than the Denver metro area. I've noticed on Craigslist some good prices, around the $450 (for a dive) to about $600 for what appears to be a decent place. I'm just gonna have to go down there and see for myself. I'm not too picky, just want a safe area and a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by scubabeme View Post
    What skill sets do you possess for job hunting purposes? (likely help to determine location). I can't speak to jobs in CS, but I'm sure someone on here can.
    I've done lots of different things! Been a mechanic, a tile installer, a purchasing and inventory manager, worked for Fed Ex as a driver, among other things. I have some college, no degree. I'm quick to learn new skills though. As long as I'm happy and it pays the bills and leaves some left for savings, I'm fine with whatever.

Well, there's lots of apartment complexes, here. I've looked at more than 20 of them, and recently moved from one that I thought was the heat but was problematic to one that's actually very good.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    I always thought the CS area was cheaper than the Denver metro area. I've noticed on Craigslist some good prices, around the $450 (for a dive) to about $600 for what appears to be a decent place. I'm just gonna have to go down there and see for myself. I'm not too picky, just want a safe area and a garage.
    You can get a nice place, 1br, in the $600-750 range in several desireable spots in town. Stay north and away from Murray Ave and the Fountain area further south. Jobs are where you find them. What are you doing now, and why wouldn't you consider just commuting to it from COS?
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Well, there's lots of apartment complexes, here. I've looked at more than 20 of them, and recently moved from one that I thought was the heat but was problematic to one that's actually very good.
    Ok, that'd be just funny if he moved into your old place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    You can get a nice place, 1br, in the $600-750 range in several desireable spots in town. Stay north and away from Murray Ave and the Fountain area further south. Jobs are where you find them. What are you doing now, and why wouldn't you consider just commuting to it from COS?
    I plan on the northern part of the COS. No way am I gonna commute 2 hours a day!

Wheat Ridge is very nice, Jefferson County. But truth be told anywhere is better than Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by jmar254 View Post
    Wheat Ridge is very nice, Jefferson County. But truth be told anywhere is better than Denver.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Ok, that'd be just funny if he moved into your old place.
    Yikes!

Yeah, Keens - stay away from any properties managed by "Griffis Blessing."

Out of time!

Looks like I'm just going to have to stay for another year. I've looking for a while and have not found anything decent for my price range. Plus I figure it is going to take some time to find a decent job in this economy. I still am getting a great deal for my area, about $250/mo less than they advertise for same apartment in my complex! That's savings for some new toys vs moving out and paying more! Now I just need to get rid of renting a washer and dryer ($35/mo I rent them from apt) and get my own. Anyone have a set I can buy for around $100 or free??!! . I do really want out of Denver (I'm basically right on the border!) but the timing is just not right for now. I sign a new lease on Sat
    Last edited by Keens; 10-05-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    Looks like I'm just going to have to stay for another year. I've looking for a while and have not found anything decent for my price range. Plus I figure it is going to take some time to find a decent job in this economy. I still am getting a great deal for my area, about $250/mo less than they advertise for same apartment in my complex! That's savings for some new toys vs moving out and paying more! Now I just need to get rid of renting a washer and dryer ($35/mo I rent them from apt) and get my own. Anyone have a set I can buy for around $100 or free??!! . I do really want out of Denver (I'm basically right on the border!) but the timing is just not right for now. I sign a new lease on Sat
    Can't help ya there, but I can tell ya that I spend about $10/month at a laundromat.

Sorry but is it Denver that banned OC or was it some other city in CO. Or am I confused.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Sorry but is it Denver that banned OC or was it some other city in CO. Or am I confused.
    Confused you may be, but not about this. Yes, Denver bans OC.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Confused you may be, but not about this. Yes, Denver bans OC.
    Which is very dumb.... But at least CO is a "Shall issue" CCW, so at least you can carry a firearm with the proper "card."

Peace,

RebelWolf

This problem could be divided into two layers. The Colorado Contstitution -which is the supreme law of Colorado - declares that the right of no person to keep & BEAR arms (publicly) in defense of their person shall not (never, nunca) be brought into question. Denver arrogantly ignores this element of Colorado law.

"Home rule" principles notwithstanding - Colorado LAW may not be so arrogantly ignored.
    This problem will eventually be rectified by Colorado Supreme Court.

The second layer- from my perspective anyway - if you have a CO CHP and can carry concealed - you are in good shape. If your employment in Denver is significantly beneficial to forestall a relocation to say Colorado Springs - then maybe you should ride this one out.

OC is a political movement for the most part. Advocates of constitutionally protected civil rights such as the right to BEAR ARMS - do so to send a message to the sheep.

A person needs to do what that person believes is necessary to ensure their saftey when in public.

If you really feel that your personal safety is at risk by not being able to OC - then you should relocate to maybe Colorado Springs. If your job is of such a high value to you that exchanging it for another is not a viable option, you should stay where you are - I think.

I've been wondering, how is it that Denver can do something that is so obviously, blatantly unconstitutional?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelWolf View Post
    Which is very dumb.... But at least CO is a "Shall issue" CCW, so at least you can carry a firearm with the proper "card."

Peace,

RebelWolf
    I'm looking at doing an internship in Denver (not likely I'll take it OC or not). But I am too young to get a carry permit in CO so I couldn't carry concealed. CO needs to get a preemption preventing such B.S. and if they already have one get a better one.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by Amb View Post
    I've been wondering, how is it that Denver can do something that is so obviously, blatantly unconstitutional?
    Same reason Heller passed with a narrow 5-4 margin: Some judges rightly interpret the law as it's written. Other judges wrongly feel it's their duty to twist the law to further their own agenda.

Colorado's Supreme Court hung on a decision that should have overwhelmingly overturned Denver's ban on open carry. By state law, a hung decision is considered to affirm the lower court from which the appeal originated.

Sadly, some judges get it. Some don't.

Read more, here.

The OP's link to the actual decision no longer works. Apparently they keep them on their website for just 5 years, even though the cost would have been less than 1 cent in terms of the going rate for hard drive storage. Conspiracy? Or just flawed policy preventing citizen access to monumental(ly flawed) decisions?
    Last edited by since9; 10-08-2011 at 02:26 AM.