• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Xd on a bike

Nm428

Can I ride with my xd 9 on my hip on my motorcycle? I live in mobile, al and believe it's against the law to have a pistol in a vehicle. Any legal advice? Police here are pretty strict and sometimes known to be incorrect about laws

Daylen

If you read 13A-11-74 and -75 carefully I think you will find that "No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle.. ..without a license therefor as hereinafter provided." No mention of a requirement to conceal the pistol. I'm not sure if a permit would be needed, one should look up in statutory language what the interpretation of "in any vehicle" would mean.

tcmech

I have noticed no one rides my back fender when I have the glock hanging off the hip. Hope you won't have any problems carrying while you ride, I am fortunate to live in Virginia where there are no such silly rules regarding carrying in vehicles.

ALOC1911

If the police say you must a have a license to openly carry a pistol while riding a motorcycle, which is a vehicle, then I want them to explain and demonstrate how it's possible to be "in" a motorcycle. The law plainly says "in a vehicle" not on a vehicle.

Daylen

If the police say you must a have a license to openly carry a pistol while riding a motorcycle, which is a vehicle, then I want them to explain and demonstrate how it's possible to be "in" a motorcycle. The law plainly says "in a vehicle" not on a vehicle.

In legislative speak words like "in" can actually include many more descriptive meanings such as "on". Hence why I suggested finding out what such a statement really means.

AL Ranger

I carry open while riding my bike throughout the state as many others do. You need a license for vehicle carry as the license is for...in a vehicle or concealed on your person. A motorcycle is defined as a vehicle in the law. The license used to be for "concealed in a vehicle or on your person" but this changed with the Montgomery bus boycott in 1956. Boycotters in carpools started open carrying guns in a vehicle (legal at the time) to stop the police from harassing them. The law was changed to make it illegal for them to carry in a vehicle without a license.

As a history note, all of Alabama's licensed carry is due to racism. Concealed carry was against the law to stop Indians, slaves and abolitionists from hiding guns. Concealed carry licenses were then set as "may issue" by the sheriff's so they pick and choose who to give them to (meaning whites only). The concealed carry license was changed in response to the bus boycotts which lead to a loss of revenue for the city. That is why the carpoolers and others were harassed by police to get back on the buses and why they started arming themselves while in cars.

Eddie Fulmer

I OC everytime I ride my bike. Mostly here in Tuscaloosa with no problems. Going on a ride this week through Miss and Nawleans down on the coast. Will let you know if anything happens. :0)