• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster question

MidnighToker

Would wearing a thigh rig be considered "going armed to the terror of the people"?

I'm asking this because as I do not yet OC. I still need to get a suitable gun for carrying period. I am in the process of contesting the denial of my CCP right now. With the cold weather coming up and the jackets and such that go along with it, I just don't want to get my balls busted if my hip holster is not "open enough" should my jacket cover it partially.

REDFIVE48

The gun is what would be used to try and justify the charge, the holster has nothing to do with it. Previously people discussed this, it does attract more attention and possibly more MWAG calls, but the holster has nothing to do with the justification for arrest under that common law that needs to be removed from the police bag of tricks. Download the flyer and know your stuff and any interactions caused by a drop leg holster will be the same as any other OC encounter. Good luck getting your CHP issue resolved.

MidnighToker

The gun is what would be used to try and justify the charge, the holster has nothing to do with it. Previously people discussed this, it does attract more attention and possibly more MWAG calls, but the holster has nothing to do with the justification for arrest under that common law that needs to be removed from the police bag of tricks. Download the flyer and know your stuff and any interactions caused by a drop leg holster will be the same as any other OC encounter. Good luck getting your CHP issue resolved.

Thanks man. Figured as much. Knew it would draw more attention, just wasn't sure if they could interpret a "tactical rig" as "threatening". Plus the rig would give me somewhere to carry the flyers with me.

ImJustMylan

:confused: I too have thought about a thigh holster.. It does look very tactical no matter how you think about it. If you're not in a LEO uniform I would just pass on that idea.. I decided to just not get it and go with the Blackhawk Serpa holster. :D

muccione

If you can see ANY part of the gun than its NOT concealed. I use a serpa blackhawk. I do have a CHP but OC 95% of the time. I can still OC with my large Columbia winter jacket.

Who cares if someone is "scared" that you have a tactical rig on. If you walk and act like you have been carrying for years, you will have no problems. Walk confidently. Don't "grip" the handle while walking around. Have a voice recorder, running.

ImJustMylan

.....Who cares if someone is "scared" that you have a tactical rig on. If you walk and act like you have been carrying for years, you will have no problems. Walk confidently. Don't "grip" the handle while walking around. Have a voice recorder, running.

:D My whole take on the tactical holster is that it looks unfamiliar to most. So its draws a lot more attention to people. Having a voice recorder is great but that means you're anticipating that you are going to run into problems. Who willingly wants to be taken as a threat and face possibly being kicked out of an establishment and/or having PD called?

NOT ME....... NOT...........ME :lol:

MidnighToker

If you can see ANY part of the gun than its NOT concealed. I use a serpa blackhawk. I do have a CHP but OC 95% of the time. I can still OC with my large Columbia winter jacket.

Who cares if someone is "scared" that you have a tactical rig on. If you walk and act like you have been carrying for years, you will have no problems. Walk confidently. Don't "grip" the handle while walking around. Have a voice recorder, running.
I guess that it's the "part of the gun showing" that has me asking the question. For example with the Serpa given here...the whole lower portion (in carrying position) is encased in the holster. With just the lower few inches of holster itself showing, is that considered as the "gun" being in plain sight?

I could personally care less what "the general public" thinks of me carrying, but don't need the legal hassle. Have no intention of walking around resting my hand on the butt. That's just asking for it. IMO that's he equivalent of walking with a pocket knife held in your hand. Yeah it's still folded, but you are implying your intent to use it.

:D My whole take on the tactical holster is that it looks unfamiliar to most. So its draws a lot more attention to people. Having a voice recorder is great but that means you're anticipating that you are going to run into problems. Who willingly wants to be taken as a threat and face possibly being kicked out of an establishment and/or having PD called?

Kinda my point. Yes you are legally carrying openly, but if a LEO decides to bust my balls...."innocent until proven guilty" only happens after you are arrested, spend some time in jail awaiting arraignment, hire a lawyer, post bail, then defend yourself in court. (yeah, I know...worst case scenario) Now your innocence now just cost you how much?

I was actually planning on getting a Serpa (whether drop leg or belt). Even when I do get my CCP, I'd prefer to OC. My line of thinking is that if there were a possible threat and you are CC, they do not realize that you are equipped to defend yourself until AFTER you have drawn your weapon. That opens that can of worms. If you are OC'ing, it is known beforehand that you can defend yourself and most likely the threat would never even present itself. There are of course situations where CC is the better option, but just saying in general.

ImJustMylan

......I was actually planning on getting a Serpa (whether drop leg or belt). Even when I do get my CCP, I'd prefer to OC. My line of thinking is that if there were a possible threat and you are CC, they do not realize that you are equipped to defend yourself until AFTER you have drawn your weapon. That opens that can of worms. If you are OC'ing, it is known beforehand that you can defend yourself and most likely the threat would never even present itself. There are of course situations where CC is the better option, but just saying in general.

Agreed ^^^^example: Lets say a 98lb nerd had a 400 million dollar winning lottery ticket in his hands.. No one was around.. Would you knock him out and take his ticket?

Now lets say that he had a Glock on his hip.... Is 400 million dollars worth losing your life? I think not!

Carry24/7

Agreed ^^^^example: Lets say a 98lb nerd had a 400 million dollar winning lottery ticket in his hands.. No one was around.. Would you knock him out and take his ticket?

Now lets say that he had a Glock on his hip.... Is 400 million dollars worth losing your life? I think not!

I don't know for 400 mil I might have to think about it. LOL He's only 98 lbs and its holstered and at least one hand is occupied with the ticket which is more than likely the one on the same side as his weapon. That will slow his draw. Not that I'm a criminal but it is 400 mil.

ImJustMylan

I don't know for 400 mil I might have to think about it. LOL He's only 98 lbs and its holstered and at least one hand is occupied with the ticket which is more than likely the one on the same side as his weapon. That will slow his draw. Not that I'm a criminal but it is 400 mil.

LOL!!!!:lol::lol::lol: Yeah I had to read that again... Im 6'5 290... Im pretty sure i could do it... and get away with the ticket...

On the record.... IM NOT A CRIMINAL OR WOULD ACTUALLY DO THAT

Off the record... IM RICH!!!

MidnighToker

Just a bump for an unanswered question...

If it's just the lower half (assuming a good portion of it) of the holster showing, is that considered as the gun itself being in the open?

ImJustMylan

Just a bump for an unanswered question...

If it's just the lower half (assuming a good portion of it) of the holster showing, is that considered as the gun itself being in the open?

In that same question u could say the top half is showing as it would be in a holster. Its not fully showing but is it concealed?

I've talked to several officers about NC definition of "concealed" and every one had there own ideas of what is "concealed". I still haven't found a statute that identifies what "concealment" is defined as. The word "concealment" seems to be generalized as "covered" (ex. under shirt, under seat, anywhere its not fully visible and easily accessible.) But then again, it is at the Officers discretion as to what they deem as concealed. They can arrest you if they want then leave it to the courts to decide. But I wouldn't even want to go that far.

If they cant recognize that part as being a gun i wouldn't carry in that manner.

aosailor

I usually OC with a serpa holster on the belt. but I have OCed in public with my drop leg holster a few times, a bunch more looks, but no cops....

muccione

Think about this

Cop tells Judge "Yes I walked passed the guy and saw he had a concealed gun".

Judge. If you can see ANY part of the gun how was it concealed? Unless you have x-ray eyes. Case dismissed.

Dreamer

In that same question u could say the top half is showing as it would be in a holster. Its not fully showing but is it concealed?

I've talked to several officers about NC definition of "concealed" and every one had there own ideas of what is "concealed". I still haven't found a statute that identifies what "concealment" is defined as. The word "concealment" seems to be generalized as "covered" (ex. under shirt, under seat, anywhere its not fully visible and easily accessible.) But then again, it is at the Officers discretion as to what they deem as concealed. They can arrest you if they want then leave it to the courts to decide. But I wouldn't even want to go that far.

If they cant recognize that part as being a gun i wouldn't carry in that manner.

You are correct. Nowhere in the NCGS is "concealed" actually defined.

The Attorney General, however, does address the "definition" of "concealed" in a less vague way. In the NC Gun Laws brochure published by the NC AG, if a firearm is carried, transported, or worn in a manner so that it is NOT "readily recognizable as a firearm", then it is considered "concealed" by the AG.

So a 1911 in an IWB holster, work with you rshirt tucking in your pants but th ebutt of the gun sticking out and easily identifiable as such would NOT be concealed, an would be a 100% legal form of OC.

However, a tiny derringer mounted in a belt buckle, so that it looks like it's ornamental (and not a functional firearm) even though you could see 100% of the firearm, would be considered "concealed" because an average person would not know if it was a real gun or just a fancy belt buckle.

A Glock 17 in a Serpa OWB holster, that is covered by an overcoat, but has the bottom 2 inches of the holster sticking out from under the coat WOULD be "concealed".

But a Taurus Judge in a shoulder holster worn OVER a shirt so everyone could see it would NOT be "concealed" even if your arm covered most of the gun, because the parts that would be visible would be "readily recognized" as a firearm...

It's a mess here in NC, and the fact that the ONLY place the definition is addressed is in Case Law and Common Law (and NOT in Statute) makes it even harder for Law-Abiding citizen to stay within the law, and it makes it EASIER for dirty or power-tripping LEOs to twist the law to their benefit in their pursuit of harassment of OCers.

Know the law.
Carry (and USE) a recorder.
Have a lawyer on speed-dial (or at least carry a lawyers business card in your wallet)

Carry on, and good luck!

MidnighToker

You are correct. Nowhere in the NCGS is "concealed" actually defined.

The Attorney General, however, does address the "definition" of "concealed" in a less vague way. In the NC Gun Laws brochure published by the NC AG, if a firearm is carried, transported, or worn in a manner so that it is NOT "readily recognizable as a firearm", then it is considered "concealed" by the AG.

So a 1911 in an IWB holster, work with you rshirt tucking in your pants but th ebutt of the gun sticking out and easily identifiable as such would NOT be concealed, an would be a 100% legal form of OC.

However, a tiny derringer mounted in a belt buckle, so that it looks like it's ornamental (and not a functional firearm) even though you could see 100% of the firearm, would be considered "concealed" because an average person would not know if it was a real gun or just a fancy belt buckle.

A Glock 17 in a Serpa OWB holster, that is covered by an overcoat, but has the bottom 2 inches of the holster sticking out from under the coat WOULD be "concealed".

But a Taurus Judge in a shoulder holster worn OVER a shirt so everyone could see it would NOT be "concealed" even if your arm covered most of the gun, because the parts that would be visible would be "readily recognized" as a firearm...

It's a mess here in NC, and the fact that the ONLY place the definition is addressed is in Case Law and Common Law (and NOT in Statute) makes it even harder for Law-Abiding citizen to stay within the law, and it makes it EASIER for dirty or power-tripping LEOs to twist the law to their benefit in their pursuit of harassment of OCers.

Know the law.
Carry (and USE) a recorder.
Have a lawyer on speed-dial (or at least carry a lawyers business card in your wallet)

Carry on, and good luck!

I guess that's exactly my concern. Especially with the winter months coming, the chance of my jacket dropping to cover the actual butt of the gun raises the question of if it's concealed or not. Yes it is obviously a holster (say a Serpa) that is sticking out the bottom, but is that enough to stand on it's own? Or maybe switch to a Fobus EVO where the barrel is exposed??? (not a fan of that personally)

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Would wearing a thigh rig be considered "going armed to the terror of the people"?

I'm asking this because as I do not yet OC. I still need to get a suitable gun for carrying period. I am in the process of contesting the denial of my CCP right now. With the cold weather coming up and the jackets and such that go along with it, I just don't want to get my balls busted if my hip holster is not "open enough" should my jacket cover it partially.

though I live in Florida and never see OC here, I've seen quite a few people OCing and a though rig on youtube and on the news on OC coverage. It may look a little out there to some people but if it comfortable to you I say go for it. I don't think you'll come off threatening, but some people may look at you like you're wearing those "finger toe" shoes! :shocker:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I got a good deal on a Serpa level-3 thigh-rig holster for my Glock 23 several months ago & jumped on it. Its comfortable, and easy to deploy the handgun from it, and its VERY secure, BUT.... I've found that my cajones aren't quite big enough to carry in this manner outside my home yet :p

papa bear

i don't know if you are being sarcastic. but just saying, i carry a gun, because i am anticipating trouble. i carry a DVR to CMA, in case it happens

DREAMER, i could find it, but do you have the four things necessary to apply to GTTOTP law .

TOKER, you don't need to tell what it is that held you up on your CHP, but is it something that would restrict you from legally carrying. if not, don't worry about do something legal. remember GTTTOP, is actually less likely than being charge with reckless driving, which i have seen people that crossed the fog line being charged with