• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Limit in Wyoming

afpskierx

Hello,

I am 20 years old and was given a springfield 1911 .45 pistol from my brother (whom is 28); it was a gift.

I have done lots of research and from what I've found, I CAN legally open carry the pistol in Wy. However, there seems to be some ambiguity.

Could someone please verify this and present the works cited: I would like to view the sources of this information.

P.S. In article 1, section 24 of the Wyoming State Constitution any resident has the right to bear arms in defense of themselves.

How much power does a police officer really have to influence/bend these laws? If a cop wants to give you trouble for say, carrying in a Wal-Mart, or even in a city park (assuming there are no city statutes prohibiting this), can he legally make you leave or remove the weapon from the area?

t3a1s5

Like many other states, there is no statute that "allows you to carry". There are only laws that restrict, and they are few. There are restrictions under concealed carry that are listed in the concealed carry permit statute. These only apply to concealed carry. Open carry is allowable with very few restrictions, courtrooms, jails, etc. Also any private property owner (such as Wal-Mart) may restrict carrying. That's about it. Like any other state, LEO's will vary in their knowledge of the law, but generally are knowledgeable and respectful.

hermannr

Wal-Mart has a stated firearms policy that basically states, whatever the local law is, that is what we will allow. You should not have any problems OC into Wal-Mart, especially if you have a nice holster and act like you are confident you are not doing anything wrong.

Private property owners can restrict in whatever manner they wish, but they have to tell you...and if they tell you, you need to comply.

BTW: OC does not mean in you hand, the weapon needs to be secure, and a good retention holster is the best way to secure it,

XB70

There is no problem open carrying anywhere in Wyoming, except at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center (& firearms museum) in Cody. The liberal bastards who run the place "prefer" that you don't open or conceal carry. That's why I don't go or take visitors there.

I spoke with the guy in charge of public relations and his line of B.S. was pretty funny. He claimed that the museum board was concerned that if a guard happened to see a visitor carrying a gun, he would presume it was a gun removed from one of the displays. I asked this moron if the museum permitted visitors to wear leather. After all, I wouldn't want a guard to think I swtole one of Buffalo Bill's jackets!

There is absolutely no problem with the Cody Police or Park County Sheriff. Same goes for the Wyoming Highway Patrol. I got pulled over by the WHP soon after moving here. My car still had California plates. When the trooper came up to the car I said, "Before we get started, I'd like to point out I have a loaded .45 on the passenger seat."

The trooper looked at the gun and said, "Good thing it's loaded, they're pretty worthless empty!" I received a verbal warning for speed, probably because I had a Wyoming driver's license.

I've open carried in Cody, Powell, Yellowstone National Park, all through Park County, Cheyenne, Casper, Jackson and a bunch of other Wyoming locations without any problems whatsoever. Do you actually think a State that just O.K. ed concealed carry without a permit has problems with open carry?

IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT HOW LEOs REACT TO OPEN CARRY, CALL THE COUNTY SHERIFF, CITY POLICE CHIEF AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR COUNTY ATTORNEY. I routinely "check" with local counterparts whenever I travel out of state on my Wyoming concealed permit

P.S.: I frequent the Costco in Billings, Montana. The Costco corporate policy is "no guns." The Billings Costco has no signs posted and I asked the store manager about the corporate policy. he told me that if he posted the store, he'd lose 50% of his business.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- I frequent the Costco in Billings, Montana. The Costco corporate policy is "no guns." The Billings Costco has no signs posted and I asked the store manager about the corporate policy. he told me that if he posted the store, he'd lose 50% of his business.

Now that is effective "No Guns = No Money" :banana:

hermannr

P.S.: I frequent the Costco in Billings, Montana. The Costco corporate policy is "no guns." The Billings Costco has no signs posted and I asked the store manager about the corporate policy. he told me that if he posted the store, he'd lose 50% of his business.

I do believe you are wrong about Costco. Look carefully at your membership agreement. There is no mention of firearms at all in my membership agreement, and no problem encountered here in WA. Is there something in your membership agreement??? The membership agreement is what YOU have to abide by, not what a manager says.

Just because some secretary from Costco corporate has a letter published on the net that says no firearms, does not mean that Costco has a corporate policy reguarding firearms. That secretary has about as much power in setting Corporate policy as you do as a member.

IMHO Costco actually has no official written policy at all, (I have never found one from any official corporate source) one way or another, as concerns firearms in their stores. I know many people in Western Washington that carry in various Costcos in WW. (including me, except I do go much any more as the closest in now 125 miles since we retired)

Last edited:

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
......... does not mean that Costco has a corporate policy regarding firearms.

IMHO Costco actually has no official written policy at all, (I have never found one from any official corporate source)

https://costco.egain.net/system/self...edArticle=true

Personal Firearms/Guns in Costco Stores

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.