• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSP encounter

amlevin

One time as a kid I ran down an empty I-5 at 120

Back then I-5 was mostly empty, even at "commute" hours. Try that today, even in the wee hours of the morning.

As for those that like to make "kamikaze runs" over I-90, they tend to be a "self curing problem". Saw one accident where one left the road and hit a tree while airborne, hundreds of feet from the roadway. If there was just some way to insure that these individuals will be the only casualties of their stupidity I'd say go for it.

TechnoWeenie

yeah i have accumulated at least 3 tickets for about 8 stops now, 2 were speeding, 1 was driving without insurance which i had been given a warning for in one stop, my recent one was around monday evening here in spokane for having my bright lights on, whats he gonna do write me a ticket for running brights even though it was those blue xenons, probably stopping me because my car looks like a drug dealer car View attachment 7052

Ricer with HID bulbs?

He shouldve ticketed you.

HID retrofit bulbs are violation of both FMVSS and state law, as are higher wattage halogen/xenon replacements.

But I guess you don't give a %#&%# that you're blinding people....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the "deferment" idea, but the check is already on it's way to Mount Vernon.

Should of done the deferment. It is the law that once every 7 years you can pay the 'administrative' fee (same as ticket ... roughly) and have the ticket dismissed if you remain ticket free for 6 months. That way it stays off of your insurance.

hermannr

I'm not worried about the insurance, been with State Farm for 45 years, never had a rate increase for a simple ticket, but then I very rarely get any tickets.

One thing funny about State Farm though...I had a V12 XJL Jag years ago...every year they wanted the mileage on that car, even though they never paid a claim on it, (not even glass) and I never had a ticket with it.

I guess they could not understand how I never got a ticket with that car...) Truth of the matter is, my mother was disabled by a stroke at the time, and we used the Jag exclusively to transport her around. The big back doors on that long wheel base XJ made it much easier to get her in and out of the car.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Ricer with HID bulbs?

He shouldve ticketed you.

HID retrofit bulbs are violation of both FMVSS and state law, as are higher wattage halogen/xenon replacements.

But I guess you don't give a %#&%# that you're blinding people....

Because only rich folk with $50,000 luxury cars should get adequate light to drive by on dark country roads, us peons should be happy with 30-year-old technology that only illuminates that deer when it's too late...

:banghead:

amlevin

I'm not worried about the insurance, been with State Farm for 45 years, never had a rate increase for a simple ticket, but then I very rarely get any tickets.

One thing funny about State Farm though...I had a V12 XJL Jag years ago...every year they wanted the mileage on that car, even though they never paid a claim on it, (not even glass) and I never had a ticket with it.

I'm with State Farm also. They're one of the Companies that "forgives" your first ticket or accident without shafting you on the renewal rates.

Also, I get the "mileage request" every year. I get the "low mileage rate" if I don't exceed a given number of miles on my second vehicle. Has nothing to do with claims, just how many miles you drive it each year.

amlevin

From the WSP FAQ's on their Website:

Are high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits legal?
No, in order for a headlight to be legal for use in Washington State, it must conform to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 requirements for headlights. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with FMVSS 108.
Halogen equipment uses an electrical current to heat a metal wire coil filament to incandescence, while the HID conversion kit's light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce light. HIDs require a ballast for operation. Under FMVSS 108 Section S7.7 (replacement light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast).
NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum candlepower by over 800 percent.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/pasfaqs.htm

This "FAQ" also references the Federal Standard.

This covers the "conversions". If the car was designed with the HID lights it conforms to the FMVSS Standard. Just because it's sold at Autozone or O'Reilly's doesn't mean it can be legally used. That's why most of these kits are labeled "For Off Road Use Only".

MilProGuy

I also keep my speed in the limits, I normally use my cruise control to do so, and have never even been stopped when that cruise control is on. That is why it's been something like 15 years since I have had a ticket...

.;)

The cruise control has been a part of my modus operandi since getting my last speeding ticket 26 years ago!

If that function went out on my car tomorrow, I'd have it repaired post haste. :dude:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
From the WSP FAQ's on their Website:

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/pasfaqs.htm

This "FAQ" also references the Federal Standard.

This covers the "conversions". If the car was designed with the HID lights it conforms to the FMVSS Standard. Just because it's sold at Autozone or O'Reilly's doesn't mean it can be legally used. That's why most of these kits are labeled "For Off Road Use Only".

I don't fully agree with WSPs FAQ given the RCWs I have read 46.37.xxx, but I won't take this thread off topic on this subject. Thank you for the link.

TechnoWeenie

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc.) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc.) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.

Are high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits legal?

No, in order for a headlight to be legal for use in Washington State, it must conform to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) 108 requirements for headlights. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with FMVSS 108.

Halogen equipment uses an electrical current to heat a metal wire coil filament to incandescence, while the HID conversion kit's light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce light. HIDs require a ballast for operation. Under FMVSS 108 Section S7.7 (replacement light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast).

NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum candlepower by over 800 percent.

TechnoWeenie

Because only rich folk with $50,000 luxury cars should get adequate light to drive by on dark country roads, us peons should be happy with 30-year-old technology that only illuminates that deer when it's too late...

:banghead:

Then get projectors, or auxiliary driving lamps.

Metalhead47

Then get projectors, or auxiliary driving lamps.

Which don't work nearly as well, and are also illegal (can't have more than 4 white lights on the front, so extra driving lamps are illegal with foglamps).

Or how bout the gov't just keeps its regulations off my private property? One fool with his halogen or even sealed beam hi-beams on coming my way is more blinding than a dozen penguins with ebay HID kits.

amlevin

The cruise control has been a part of my modus operandi since getting my last speeding ticket 26 years ago!

If that function went out on my car tomorrow, I'd have it repaired post haste. :dude:

Ditto here. Only caution is to make sure to turn it off or reset the speed when there is a sudden change in speed limits. Of course this usually becomes obvious when your suddenly passing everyone around you.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I believe the regulation is no more than 4 white lights "operating at the same time".

Lighting requirements and restrictions are found in RCW 46.37.xxx

If I remember correctly. You have 2 headlights, 2 aux lights (fog less an x" from road), and 2 spot/passing lights (higher than x" from road).

amlevin

Lighting requirements and restrictions are found in RCW 46.37.xxx

If I remember correctly. You have 2 headlights, 2 aux lights (fog less an x" from road), and 2 spot/passing lights (higher than x" from road).

Anyway you read it it is just another law that is rarely enforced or when it is, it's done so irregularly.

TechnoWeenie

Which don't work nearly as well, and are also illegal (can't have more than 4 white lights on the front, so extra driving lamps are illegal with foglamps).

Or how bout the gov't just keeps its regulations off my private property? One fool with his halogen or even sealed beam hi-beams on coming my way is more blinding than a dozen penguins with ebay HID kits.

driving lamps are not to be used with fog lamps anyway (read the law). Auxiliary passing lamps are a different story.

hermannr

That is funny. Back in 1980 my dad needed a new car, but could not afford one, so my wife and I went down and purchased a new Chevy for dad and gave it to him. (I am not a Chevy fan, but dad was). It had cruise control and a lot other options dad would not have purchased.

He asked us why we bought such an optioned out car, as we knew he did not need all of that stuff, especially the cruise control. Well, back then Chevy put the cruise on the turn signal stalk and it was easy to hit it with your knee and break it when you got in and out of the car. You were supposed to tilt the steering wheel out of the way first so you would not break it. (another option dad never had before)

About 6 months after he got that car he comes to us...the cruise control is broken, can you fix it...6 months and he couldn't live without it . The Chevy dealer fixed it, told him what was happening, he started using the tilt feature..no more problems.

Last edited: