Thread: I feel like an outcast

I feel like an outcast

I keep running into more and more places with signs that say NO OC or NO WEAPONS like my gun is going to get lose from my holster and attack people like a jungle cat in their store, you have got to be kidding guns made this country free. If you see someone doing something you don't understand instead of being human and ASKING a question they say NO you can't do that here. WHAT GIVES. VG's in Pontiac and MOBIL gas station in Waterford at the corner of Elizabeth Lake Rd. and Hiller both have signs up.....

Banned
    I thought VGs was OK with OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer1892 View Post
    I keep running into more and more places with signs that say NO OC or NO WEAPONS... MOBIL gas station in Waterford at the corner of Elizabeth Lake Rd. and Hiller both have signs up.....
    A gas station? I don't get that. it's outside. You can be in your car and have your passenger pump gas. How can they have 'no weapons' signs that you can see and how can they regulate or impose that. You'd have to get out of the car to read it if you don't have 20/20, I'd think.

Can you elaborate any?
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Banned
    Its got a mini mart inside.

Yeah VG's put up a sign NO WEAPONS AT ALL and the gass station put up a sign that I didn't see until I almost walked in to buy a water that said NO OPEN CARRY

Banned
    Just no open carry? WTF?
    Last edited by stainless1911; 10-03-2011 at 10:38 PM.

It's part of the natural progression of things as OCing becomes more common to a region. To see a glimpse of where we'll hopefully end up, visit the Phoenix Valley area, and take note of how many no guns signs you'll see. Perhaps Phoenix is a bit more extreme because of all the east and left coast liberals who pollute the area worse than the smog by migrating there, but the rule is still the same; make OCing common, and some common gun phobic folks will get their feathers ruffled, then prohibit the practice on their property.

If you want to do something positive about local anti gun businesses on a case by case basis, write them an overly polite and outgoing letter, or email if you can get their address, and offer to meet with them over coffee or something to discuss open carrying, and why you'd encourage them to reconsider.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    It's part of the natural progression of things as OCing becomes more common to a region. To see a glimpse of where we'll hopefully end up, visit the Phoenix Valley area, and take note of how many no guns signs you'll see. Perhaps Phoenix is a bit more extreme because of all the east and left coast liberals who pollute the area worse than the smog by migrating there, but the rule is still the same; make OCing common, and some common gun phobic folks will get their feathers ruffled, then prohibit the practice on their property.

If you want to do something positive about local anti gun businesses on a case by case basis, write them an overly polite and outgoing letter, or email if you can get their address, and offer to meet with them over coffee or something to discuss open carrying, and why you'd encourage them to reconsider.
    I have only seen two "no firearms" signs in my 4+ years of OCing in the GR area. One was at the Federal Express package pick-up in Walker and one was at the Rivertown Mall in Grandville. However, the sign at the mall really was a statement that was hidden in a long list of prohibited behavior that was phrased in such a way that it could be interpreted that guns are welcome. lol
    I believe that OC does arguably induce owners to post property, which could be seen as a negative. However, such signage allows those of us who support the right of lawful citizens to defend themselves with one of the mist efficient means to easily determine where to spend our money. I think that once store owners see the potential loss of income coupled with the fact that signs prohibiting firearms are an open invitation for those who use a gun for the furtherance of criminal behavior because they are almost certain to not face armed, law abiding citizens, any signs present now will come down at some point. But, we need to make it clear that our dollars will go elsewhere in the meantime.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-04-2011 at 12:05 AM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Broken record, but I still agree with Judge Napolitano about "Public Accommodations of Private Property" starting at about 0:55 in...

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Broken record, but I still agree with Judge Napolitano about "Public Accommodations of Private Property" starting at about 0:55 in...

I was watching an episode of "What would you do?" on ABC. One of them involved an actor dressed in drag to go into a coffee shop in I believe it was Cali. This part involved the manager having a problem with the man dressed in drag and eventually kicks him out. The show wanted to see what people would do about such an injustice. To me looking at it from an OCer perspective didn't see the big deal with the man being thrown out for being dressed in drag. Most the people there were outraged that a person could be thrown out simply because they were dressed like a woman. Apparently in Cali if you are dressed in drag it's perfectly fine, but if you have a visible gun everyone must run for the hills and dial 911.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I have a Right To Life and a Right/Duty To Protect That Life which is not Overruled by Private Property Rights.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I was watching an episode of "What would you do?" on ABC. One of them involved an actor dressed in drag to go into a coffee shop in I believe it was Cali. This part involved the manager having a problem with the man dressed in drag and eventually kicks him out. The show wanted to see what people would do about such an injustice. To me looking at it from an OCer perspective didn't see the big deal with the man being thrown out for being dressed in drag. Most the people there were outraged that a person could be thrown out simply because they were dressed like a woman. Apparently in Cali if you are dressed in drag it's perfectly fine, but if you have a visible gun everyone must run for the hills and dial 911.
    What about an OCing Transvestite??? Oh what to do, what to do...
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

+100

my right to self defense (life) is paramount. Corporations have NO rights and to think so is a fallacy, they are nonhuman and the Constitution is for whom? THE PEOPLE, which are humans.... So no corporation has a right to life and liberty as it can't enjoy such. So my right to life/self defense wins in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    I have a Right To Life and a Right/Duty To Protect That Life which is not Overruled by Private Property Rights.

Yeah VG's put up a sign NO WEAPONS AT ALL and the gass station put up a sign that I didn't see until I almost walked in to buy a water that said NO OPEN CARRY
    Well with a sign like that they don't have to worry about armed robberies! No criminal would dare bring a weapon into a gun free zone. I bet that will also reduce their insurance premiums which in turn they can pass on to the customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    What about an OCing Transvestite??? Oh what to do, what to do...
    Haha very true. A liberals head might explode thinking about that one.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Haha very true. A liberals head might explode thinking about that one.
    http://www.pinkpistols.org/index2.html

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Being a transvestite doesn't mean you are gay....although it probably doesn't help.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post

I'm living in Waterford now as of Saturday... perhaps I'll do some investigating when I have a minute.

Banned
    Waterford isnt bad. Theres even an OC welcome MOC sticker on the door of Mega Pawn 3 / Guns N' More.

Being a transvestite doesn't mean you are gay....although it probably doesn't help.
    If they are gun onwers, and lawful citizens then I really don't care.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Yeah Stainless that place is like my second home

Being a transvestite doesn't mean you are gay.
    I didn't say it did. My inclusion of the link was directed at the idea that a liberal's head might explode over the idea of a segment of society that is traditionally considered "liberal" carrying guns.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I didn't say it did. My inclusion of the link was directed at the idea that a liberal's head might explode over the idea of a segment of society that is traditionally considered "liberal" carrying guns.

Bronson
    Oh I know, I was just making a funny.

Banned
    Yeah Stainless that place is like my second home
    We'll prolly cross paths there one day then. Im in there often making payments.