• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I feel like an outcast

Racer1892

I keep running into more and more places with signs that say NO OC or NO WEAPONS like my gun is going to get lose from my holster and attack people like a jungle cat in their store, you have got to be kidding guns made this country free. If you see someone doing something you don't understand instead of being human and ASKING a question they say NO you can't do that here. WHAT GIVES. VG's in Pontiac and MOBIL gas station in Waterford at the corner of Elizabeth Lake Rd. and Hiller both have signs up.....

Badger Johnson

I keep running into more and more places with signs that say NO OC or NO WEAPONS... MOBIL gas station in Waterford at the corner of Elizabeth Lake Rd. and Hiller both have signs up.....

A gas station? I don't get that. it's outside. You can be in your car and have your passenger pump gas. How can they have 'no weapons' signs that you can see and how can they regulate or impose that. You'd have to get out of the car to read it if you don't have 20/20, I'd think.

Can you elaborate any?

Racer1892

Yeah VG's put up a sign NO WEAPONS AT ALL and the gass station put up a sign that I didn't see until I almost walked in to buy a water that said NO OPEN CARRY

Michigander

It's part of the natural progression of things as OCing becomes more common to a region. To see a glimpse of where we'll hopefully end up, visit the Phoenix Valley area, and take note of how many no guns signs you'll see. Perhaps Phoenix is a bit more extreme because of all the east and left coast liberals who pollute the area worse than the smog by migrating there, but the rule is still the same; make OCing common, and some common gun phobic folks will get their feathers ruffled, then prohibit the practice on their property.

If you want to do something positive about local anti gun businesses on a case by case basis, write them an overly polite and outgoing letter, or email if you can get their address, and offer to meet with them over coffee or something to discuss open carrying, and why you'd encourage them to reconsider.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
It's part of the natural progression of things as OCing becomes more common to a region. To see a glimpse of where we'll hopefully end up, visit the Phoenix Valley area, and take note of how many no guns signs you'll see. Perhaps Phoenix is a bit more extreme because of all the east and left coast liberals who pollute the area worse than the smog by migrating there, but the rule is still the same; make OCing common, and some common gun phobic folks will get their feathers ruffled, then prohibit the practice on their property.

If you want to do something positive about local anti gun businesses on a case by case basis, write them an overly polite and outgoing letter, or email if you can get their address, and offer to meet with them over coffee or something to discuss open carrying, and why you'd encourage them to reconsider.

I have only seen two "no firearms" signs in my 4+ years of OCing in the GR area. One was at the Federal Express package pick-up in Walker and one was at the Rivertown Mall in Grandville. However, the sign at the mall really was a statement that was hidden in a long list of prohibited behavior that was phrased in such a way that it could be interpreted that guns are welcome. lol
I believe that OC does arguably induce owners to post property, which could be seen as a negative. However, such signage allows those of us who support the right of lawful citizens to defend themselves with one of the mist efficient means to easily determine where to spend our money. I think that once store owners see the potential loss of income coupled with the fact that signs prohibiting firearms are an open invitation for those who use a gun for the furtherance of criminal behavior because they are almost certain to not face armed, law abiding citizens, any signs present now will come down at some point. But, we need to make it clear that our dollars will go elsewhere in the meantime.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Broken record, but I still agree with Judge Napolitano about "Public Accommodations of Private Property" starting at about 0:55 in...

[video=youtube;GP1Wgkh5MeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1Wgkh5MeE[/video]

xmanhockey7

Broken record, but I still agree with Judge Napolitano about "Public Accommodations of Private Property" starting at about 0:55 in...

[video=youtube;GP1Wgkh5MeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1Wgkh5MeE[/video]

I was watching an episode of "What would you do?" on ABC. One of them involved an actor dressed in drag to go into a coffee shop in I believe it was Cali. This part involved the manager having a problem with the man dressed in drag and eventually kicks him out. The show wanted to see what people would do about such an injustice. To me looking at it from an OCer perspective didn't see the big deal with the man being thrown out for being dressed in drag. Most the people there were outraged that a person could be thrown out simply because they were dressed like a woman. Apparently in Cali if you are dressed in drag it's perfectly fine, but if you have a visible gun everyone must run for the hills and dial 911.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was watching an episode of "What would you do?" on ABC. One of them involved an actor dressed in drag to go into a coffee shop in I believe it was Cali. This part involved the manager having a problem with the man dressed in drag and eventually kicks him out. The show wanted to see what people would do about such an injustice. To me looking at it from an OCer perspective didn't see the big deal with the man being thrown out for being dressed in drag. Most the people there were outraged that a person could be thrown out simply because they were dressed like a woman. Apparently in Cali if you are dressed in drag it's perfectly fine, but if you have a visible gun everyone must run for the hills and dial 911.

What about an OCing Transvestite??? Oh what to do, what to do...

alphamale

+100

my right to self defense (life) is paramount. Corporations have NO rights and to think so is a fallacy, they are nonhuman and the Constitution is for whom? THE PEOPLE, which are humans.... So no corporation has a right to life and liberty as it can't enjoy such. So my right to life/self defense wins in my mind.

I have a Right To Life and a Right/Duty To Protect That Life which is not Overruled by Private Property Rights.

budlight

Yeah VG's put up a sign NO WEAPONS AT ALL and the gass station put up a sign that I didn't see until I almost walked in to buy a water that said NO OPEN CARRY

Well with a sign like that they don't have to worry about armed robberies! No criminal would dare bring a weapon into a gun free zone. I bet that will also reduce their insurance premiums which in turn they can pass on to the customers.

Evil Creamsicle

I'm living in Waterford now as of Saturday... perhaps I'll do some investigating when I have a minute.