Thread: Florida Carry Sues Over University Parking Lot Gun Ban

Florida Carry Sues Over University Parking Lot Gun Ban

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - October 3rd, 2011.

Florida Carry Sues Over University Parking Lot Gun Ban

Florida Carry, Inc. has today filed a lawsuit against the University of North Florida (UNF), seeking a permanent injunction from enforcing its unlawful ban on firearms and weapons. We also seek a court order to repeal their unlawful regulations, remove all preempted signs, also that UNF pay fines, costs, attorney's fees, and damages. Since 1987 the Florida Legislature has preempted firearms law and issued statewide licenses to carry for self-defense.

Florida Carry filed this case on behalf of Florida Gun Owners and our members. One such member, Alexandria Lainez, is a single mother who has received extensive training in firearms and self-defense to be prepared to protect herself and her young child should that horrible need arise. Alexandria is a full time student at UNF and worries that she has to choose between her family's safety and her education on a daily basis while attending college.

No public college or university has any right to prevent students from having a firearm in their car as long as the firearm is lawfully possessed under state law. Any public college or university which attempts to restrict students’ rights on this issue is subject to being sued under Florida Firearms Preemption law which was amended this year to make the 24 year old statute easier to enforce by organizations like Florida Carry.

Read the Complaint Here

Good deal. In theory, this will be an easy win.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

i really hope this case wins. i had my firearm in my glovebox daily when i was attending UF and i was dreading the day i would be caught. luckly i never was but i dont want future students having to sacrifice safety to attend a school.

if being forced to leave your gun in your car isn't sacrificing safety, I don't know what is.

why did you dread the day being caught? How often do school faculty search your vehicle?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

well like if i was ever pulled over on campus and forgot to remove the firearm from my glovebox and put it somewhere else before the cop actually gets to my car, id be done! luckly it never happened.