Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: I Need Help With My Parents...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sapin
    Posts
    23

    I Need Help With My Parents...

    Hello everyone.

    I have a slight dilemma involving my parents. So my mother is pretty much anti-gun, but my father and I absolutely love firearms, since we own many, and our right to own them. HOWEVER BOTH of my parents are totally against open carry. In fact, we got into a huge argument about the need for open carry. My parents argued that it "attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target", while I argue that the carrying of firearms, openly or concealed, deters crime, and saves people from being robbed or murdered by some tyrannical nutjob. I'm shocked... How can someone, like my father, LOVE firearms, but disagree with his right to carry them!??? We live in Tucson Arizona, in fact, we live less than 10 miles from that mass shooting spree at that Safeway parking lot where Jared Loughner took the lives of >6 innocent people and injured >14 others(I think those were the numbers). In fact, I attend the SAME Community College Jared Loughner himself attended, so violent crime isn't nonexistent out here. I argue that if at least one person among that crowd had a firearm, Jared Loughner most likely wouldn't have killed as many people as he did, but my parents STILL think it would have ended up worse if someone else, even a good guy, had a firearm for self-defense. I explain to them; that's why you spend a lot of time at the range, removing your firearm from it's holster, and target shooting at several yards etc. Unfortunately they ALWAYS cut me off so I never have enough time to argue my point.
    I need help convincing my parents that open carry can be a good thing as long as you remain a respectable and friendly person, while taking the responsibility of integrity, abide by state and federal laws, and most importantly: TRAIN intensively to effectively defend yourself, and/or those around you from Unlawful deadly physical force and/or robbery.
    Btw I'm 19 and I OC almost everywhere I go, however I've temporarily stopped because I don't want to disobey my parents.
    Any advice for me?

    Once again I want to RESPECTIVELY argue in favor of Open carry/Conceal carry, but I do NOT want to disobey my parents.
    Thank you in advance!

    (Smith & Wesson Sigma .40 cal. (SW40VE) is my carry handgun for those wondering)

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    HOWEVER BOTH of my parents are totally against open carry. In fact, we got into a huge argument about the need for open carry. My parents argued that it "attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target", while I argue that the carrying of firearms, openly or concealed, deters crime, and saves people from being robbed or murdered by some tyrannical nutjob.
    I'm 48, and my parents were somewhat along the same lines, Lol.

    I argue...
    Doesn't work, does it? I simply joined them for dinner one night while OCing. The didn't even know I was carrying until I went to the restroom. When they observed it was no big deal, they warmed to future such foreys.

    ...that if at least one person among that crowd had a firearm, Jared Loughner most likely wouldn't have killed as many people as he did...
    Thing of it is, at least one person was carrying. Problem was, he wasn't in the crowd, but in an adjacent grocery store. When the shots rang out, he came out running, but Jarend had already been tackled by the time he arrived to pin down one of the nutjob's flailing limbs.

    I need help convincing my parents that open carry can be a good thing...
    Stop trying so hard. Just point them here.

    Btw I'm 19...
    Then tell them: "Mom, Dad, I love you both. You've done well, and now I am a man. While I respect your advice, please respect my will and my right to choose my own path from here on out. Thanks."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sapin
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I'm 48, and my parents were somewhat along the same lines, Lol.



    Doesn't work, does it? I simply joined them for dinner one night while OCing. The didn't even know I was carrying until I went to the restroom. When they observed it was no big deal, they warmed to future such foreys.



    Thing of it is, at least one person was carrying. Problem was, he wasn't in the crowd, but in an adjacent grocery store. When the shots rang out, he came out running, but Jarend had already been tackled by the time he arrived to pin down one of the nutjob's flailing limbs.



    Stop trying so hard. Just point them here.



    Then tell them: "Mom, Dad, I love you both. You've done well, and now I am a man. While I respect your advice, please respect my will and my right to choose my own path from here on out. Thanks."
    Problem is I still live at home with them and they have this "You'll do whatever I tell you to do" attitude

  4. #4
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    Problem is I still live at home with them and they have this "You'll do whatever I tell you to do" attitude
    Not to be a jerk but if you are mature enough to carry you're mature enough to move out.

    Guns/weapons are usually an emotional issue and all the statistics that we an provide you will be of no use. Only advice that may work is for you to take them to an OC event where they can see people other than you carrying. That way they're getting a third party viewpoint. When it comes to me and my son I'm always right whether I am or not. It's a parent thing.

    Last edited by sharkey; 10-04-2011 at 04:25 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    well,,,

    have your folks read this link..
    Why 'Open Carry' Gun Laws Work

    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    Problem is I still live at home with them and they have this "You'll do whatever I tell you to do" attitude
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Not to be a jerk but if you are mature enough to carry you're mature enough to move out.

    Guns/weapons are usually an emotional issue and all the statistics that we an provide you will be of no use. Only advice that may work is for you to take them to an OC event where they can see people other than you carrying. That way they're getting a third party viewpoint. When it comes to me and my son I'm always right whether I am or not. It's a parent thing.
    Str3ngthz, I too still live at home with my folks because I am physically disabled to the point that I can't hold a job, I understand and agree with your desire to obey your parents. My folks didn't take it well when I started to stand up for what I believed in at your age. Some matters aren't important enough to strain the parent/child relationship with. Others are and I stood my ground. I'm 26 now and my mother Is still an anti but respects that it is my right. My father is neutral and doesn't mind if I oc in public with him.

    I tried to persuade them with logic and facts, but that doesn't work. At the end of the day it took them observing me going about my days as a responsible, law abiding, gun toting, US citizen. So stand up for your rights. Don't argue, just do it. (As if they haven't fed you that last sentence over and over.)

    Btw, I too carry a SW40VE. Inexpensive, reliable, hits a silhouette.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sapin
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Not to be a jerk but if you are mature enough to carry you're mature enough to move out.

    Thanks man. The only problem is I make a slave wage $8/HR and I attend college full time, so there is no way, at that wage, I'll ever be able to move out.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    Thanks man. The only problem is I make a slave wage $8/HR and I attend college full time, so there is no way, at that wage, I'll ever be able to move out.
    Here's the deal I made with my parents: while in your house, I abide by your rules of the house. Your control over me ends at the doorway. I will not carry while inside or doing yard work if you so wish, but my life is precious to me and I will carry to protect myself while I am away from the house.

    Actualy, I moved away from my parents on 8$/hr myself, couldn't stand them trying to control my every action. Had to get a roomate to share rent and missed quite a few meals in between paychecks. But my parents finally understood that I was my own man, not their baby. Not saying you should mind you, but that's what it took for my parents. I also didn't go to college right away, so I was able to work more than you would be abke to.

    Also, I still went out for dinner with them feom time to time and the first time they didn't even notice it till we got up to leave.

    Don't try to convince them to carry, just assert your right to carry for yourself. At first at least.

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  9. #9
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    Here's the deal I made with my parents: while in your house, I abide by your rules of the house. Your control over me ends at the doorway. I will not carry while inside or doing yard work if you so wish, but my life is precious to me and I will carry to protect myself while I am away from the house.

    Actualy, I moved away from my parents on 8$/hr myself, couldn't stand them trying to control my every action. Had to get a roomate to share rent and missed quite a few meals in between paychecks. But my parents finally understood that I was my own man, not their baby. Not saying you should mind you, but that's what it took for my parents. I also didn't go to college right away, so I was able to work more than you would be abke to.

    Also, I still went out for dinner with them feom time to time and the first time they didn't even notice it till we got up to leave.

    Don't try to convince them to carry, just assert your right to carry for yourself. At first at least.

    Sent using tapatalk
    This!

    Abide by their rules while on their property, whether you live there or not. Once you are outside of their property, you are on your own.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    I've been in more or less that same position, except it was with my girlfriend (at the time) instead of my parents.

    Try starting with concealed carry. It's generally less "threatening" to a person who is anti or neutral.

    Also never argue. Ask questions. "Don't you think....", "Isn't it best if...", "Do you believe...", "Is it right that...", etc. When you ask questions, you get their emotions working for you, and you can sometimes even convince them that it's their idea. (Though probably not in this case.)

    One thing that helped convince my GF was that I simply carried around her for a couple weeks, then, when she was in a good mood, told her that I had been carrying the last 2 weeks (or w/e time frame you decide is right).
    Last edited by Oramac; 10-05-2011 at 05:25 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    56
    Hehe

    If that's all it takes to get the kid to find a job and move out of the house....I'll have to remember that one when it's time for my kid!

  12. #12
    Regular Member DangerClose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The mean streets of WI
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    I argue that if at least one person among that crowd had a firearm, Jared Loughner most likely wouldn't have killed as many people as he did, but my parents STILL think it would have ended up worse if someone else, even a good guy, had a firearm for self-defense. I explain to them; that's why you spend a lot of time at the range, removing your firearm from it's holster, and target shooting at several yards etc. Unfortunately they ALWAYS cut me off so I never have enough time to argue my point.
    I'd ask how an armed, lawful citizen could possibly make things worse when an armed, unlawful crazy guy is loaded for bear and killing everyone he wants to. What, the two would have a big shootout and some innocent person might get hit? The innocent people are already getting hit.

    They must think police get magical gun training and are magical sharpshooters. Who can stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun.

    What does your dad think about hunting? If he's ok with hunting, I'd ask him if it's ok that you carry your gun as long as you wear blaze orange.

    If they ALWAYS cut you off, then ask them to not cut you off. If they continue to cut you off, then I'd start not discussing subjects with them they cut me off on.

    I notice you said your parents don't like open carry because it attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target -- which is actually a fair point. Is there a reason you don't just CC then? Age limit in Arizona or something? Or maybe you wrote "open carry" but meant "open or concealed carry" they don't like. Regardless, if they pull the "it draws attention and makes you a target" reasoning, then just say, "Fair enough. How about concealed carry then? It draws zero attention." If they start hemming and hawing, go from there, I guess.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sapin
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    I'd ask how an armed, lawful citizen could possibly make things worse when an armed, unlawful crazy guy is loaded for bear and killing everyone he wants to. What, the two would have a big shootout and some innocent person might get hit? The innocent people are already getting hit.

    They must think police get magical gun training and are magical sharpshooters. Who can stop a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun.

    What does your dad think about hunting? If he's ok with hunting, I'd ask him if it's ok that you carry your gun as long as you wear blaze orange.

    If they ALWAYS cut you off, then ask them to not cut you off. If they continue to cut you off, then I'd start not discussing subjects with them they cut me off on.

    I notice you said your parents don't like open carry because it attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target -- which is actually a fair point. Is there a reason you don't just CC then? Age limit in Arizona or something? Or maybe you wrote "open carry" but meant "open or concealed carry" they don't like. Regardless, if they pull the "it draws attention and makes you a target" reasoning, then just say, "Fair enough. How about concealed carry then? It draws zero attention." If they start hemming and hawing, go from there, I guess.
    Yes in AZ you have to be 21 to CC and 'm only 19. Thanks for the input by the way. And my dad LOVES hunting as much as I do. But I agree with you and everyone else. I'll just do it until they get over it.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,629
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    ...snip...
    I notice you said your parents don't like open carry because it attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target -- which is actually a fair point.
    ....snip.....
    How about concealed carry then? It draws zero attention." If they start hemming and hawing, go from there, I guess.
    Neither a valid nor fair point at all. At best it is repeating an urban myth. In my years following these threads, only 2 have ever been reported - one was proved false and the other appears to have been set up by the victim for a gun snatch.

    Standard challenge: Show me one (1) verifiable cite where an OCer has ever in modern times either been preemptively taken out or had his/her gun snatched (LEOs, security and military excluded) any where in these United States. Will it happen sometime somewhere? Probably, but when it does the percentage ratio of such will look a lot like .00001%.

    CCers on the other hand look just like any other member of the flock = a potential victim and are IMHO much more likely to be faced with a decision that portends harm to someone. OC sends the message that you are NOT an easy mark - that there is no free lunch here to the BGs.

    To the OP - understand you dilemma - you want to carry, but want to honor your parents wishes. You offer logic/fact - they respond with emotion. Hope you can convince them that you are both right and responsible - otherwise you have some difficult choices to make and those will be entirely up to you. Nobody can really decide for you. Best of luck.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Well, I'm not in your age bracket, (we just went to a grandson's wedding) but I will give you a view from an old person's perspective, OK?

    It does not matter how old you are, 4 or 40, you will always be your mother's ""baby", especially if you are the youngest in a large family. It is a form of denial...They do want to see themselves growning older, and as they see their youngest grow, they suppress that they also are growing older. Basically a woman thing, but some men have this problem too.

    A second thing is like my wife and I were both "good kids" when we were young. Never in trouble with the law, or at school and we didn't go off and do dumb things. When you are a "good kid" your parents leash on you is usually quite loose, and you will tend to do the same with your own kids. It is a trust thing. Our rules at home with our five daughters was respect your mother, no backtalk allowed, keep your own space (room) clean and do your chores. If they did that, we did not interfere with their social life.

    Granted some parents are very controlling (again, especially mothers, but can be either or both). A lot of it has to do with how they were raised, and how wild their parents were. We had one "wild child" and she is extremely strict with her three boys.

    So, now, what to do about your particular problem. I would suggest you read: http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/ragingag...elfdefense.htm

    Try to figure out where your parents are in this writing and discuss (not argue) what is in the article. I would see where they place themselves, you may be able to find out why they really do not want you to carry. remember, "argue" will never work,,,OK?

  16. #16
    Regular Member DangerClose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The mean streets of WI
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Standard challenge: Show me one (1) verifiable cite where an OCer has ever in modern times either been preemptively taken out or had his/her gun snatched (LEOs, security and military excluded) any where in these United States.
    Why are LEOs and security excluded? Don't criminals know they are armed and may neutralize them first because of it?

    Regardless of that, "attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target" also referred to regular people and cops. In many areas, OC gets you hassled; sometimes majorly hassled.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    why they really do not want you to carry.
    A very good point. To paraphrase an excellent book on selling (which is basically what you're doing):

    "Most people have two reasons they are against buying a product [in this case, accepting a viewpoint]. The real reason, and the reason that sounds good. They will almost always stick like glue to the one that sounds good, but will not be convinced until the real reason is addressed. I've [Frank Bettger] found that complimenting their reason and then asking for an additional reason works well to find the true reason they are against it. For example, 'You make a very good point, Mr. X. Now, in addition to that isn't there some other reason you're hesitant to buy such and such?'" - ["How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling" - Frank Bettger]

    The phrase "in addition to that" is key here. It helps maintain that they are right in their "sounds good" reason, but also allows them to state their real reason.
    Last edited by Oramac; 10-06-2011 at 04:56 PM.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,629
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    Why are LEOs and security excluded? Don't criminals know they are armed and may neutralize them first because of it?

    Regardless of that, "attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target" also referred to regular people and cops. In many areas, OC gets you hassled; sometimes majorly hassled.
    One, because that is the way the original challenge was written. Two, because LEOs, security, and military are in the business of making an offensive response; whereas we are defensively inclined.

    I was talking about "target" as a physical attack/shooting.

    Insofar as being hassled (verbally?), that seemed outside of what the OP's discussion entailed. Even if included, are we to hide our guns for fear of some minor discomfort? I don't argue with unreasonable people - I just walk away. If the discomfort becomes great enough, I have a lawyer that says I can be compensated accordingly.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    Why are LEOs and security excluded? Don't criminals know they are armed and may neutralize them first because of it?

    Regardless of that, "attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target" also referred to regular people and cops. In many areas, OC gets you hassled; sometimes majorly hassled.
    Those folks are excluded because they spend a great deal of their time intentionally interacting with BGs and intentionally being in places where BGs are expected to be.

    Us "regular folks" generally try to operate with the "3 stupids" rule - don't go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things. We drive around the "bad" part of town instead of driving down the worst street in town with the doors unlocked and the wndows rolled down. When we hear gunshots we generally hunker down behind available cover or leave the area instead of rushing straight towards the sound of the guns. When it looks like a difference of opinion will escalate into a physical confrontation we generally try to defuse, de-scalate or depart instead of striking an authoritative pose, start issuing orders in our "command voice" and otherwise challenging the other party to put up or shut up.

    As for your statement that OCing in many areas gets the person hassled - well, that's an issue we address as it happens. And that's part of the reason there is a "community" of OCers as opposed to a bunch of folks out there on their own with no support. OCing where it is legal should not automatically result in getting hassled because the person doing the hassling does not like the notion of OCing. It goes back to the root of gun control itself -- little to do with guns and everything to do with control.

    stay safe.

    PS - I was writing this while Grapeshot posted his response.
    Last edited by skidmark; 10-06-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    Hello everyone.

    I have a slight dilemma involving my parents. So my mother is pretty much anti-gun, but my father and I absolutely love firearms, since we own many, and our right to own them. HOWEVER BOTH of my parents are totally against open carry. In fact, we got into a huge argument about the need for open carry. My parents argued that it "attracts the wrong attention and makes you a target", while I argue that the carrying of firearms, openly or concealed, deters crime, and saves people from being robbed or murdered by some tyrannical nutjob. I'm shocked... How can someone, like my father, LOVE firearms, but disagree with his right to carry them!??? We live in Tucson Arizona, in fact, we live less than 10 miles from that mass shooting spree at that Safeway parking lot where Jared Loughner took the lives of >6 innocent people and injured >14 others(I think those were the numbers). In fact, I attend the SAME Community College Jared Loughner himself attended, so violent crime isn't nonexistent out here. I argue that if at least one person among that crowd had a firearm, Jared Loughner most likely wouldn't have killed as many people as he did, but my parents STILL think it would have ended up worse if someone else, even a good guy, had a firearm for self-defense. I explain to them; that's why you spend a lot of time at the range, removing your firearm from it's holster, and target shooting at several yards etc. Unfortunately they ALWAYS cut me off so I never have enough time to argue my point.
    I need help convincing my parents that open carry can be a good thing as long as you remain a respectable and friendly person, while taking the responsibility of integrity, abide by state and federal laws, and most importantly: TRAIN intensively to effectively defend yourself, and/or those around you from Unlawful deadly physical force and/or robbery.
    Btw I'm 19 and I OC almost everywhere I go, however I've temporarily stopped because I don't want to disobey my parents.
    Any advice for me?

    Once again I want to RESPECTIVELY argue in favor of Open carry/Conceal carry, but I do NOT want to disobey my parents.
    Thank you in advance!

    (Smith & Wesson Sigma .40 cal. (SW40VE) is my carry handgun for those wondering)
    You're 19 and you still worry about obedience? Until you are your own person and take full responsibility and authority for yourself and your actions I would suggest CC or NC. OC, CC or NC is a choice and thus opinion, not fact; meaning none are correct or incorrect. An argument can not be "won" as such. The only argument that can be won on the subject is about the legality, constitutional protections, natural right and/or privilege of OC, CC or NC.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  21. #21
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    There are essentially two facets to the OP's dilema.

    (1) He is serious about exercising his constitutionally guaranteed right to bear his holstered handgun. "Bearing" infers carrying openly displayed in public - not hidden.


    (2) The disarmament mentality that is ever-present in "civilized" society argues that being passive (sheeply) incourages passivity ( sheepliness), which in turn produces peace.

    Unfortunately, that premise doesn't hold water. Cemetaries are filled with the advocates of passivity.

    The visible presence of a peacefully holstered firearm worn in a nonthreatening mannner will deter opportunistic predatory criminal behavior.

    I was 43 when I first started carrying a handgun routinely, and that was illegal in Texas at that time. Under Arizona law it is legal. That being the case Mom & Dad need to respect the law, and their son's adult status.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    ,,,Mom & Dad need to respect the law, and their son's adult status.
    I disagree.

    He is living under Mom & Dad's roof. They own the house (maybe along with the bank) and they can set any rules they want to about what anyone does under their roof. OK, we all know they can't set rules to make folks break the law - let's not get crazy picking nits. But if they say no OC, or even no firearms, then the OP should follow their dictate.

    Once the OP gets out on his own he can set up his own rules for both what he does inside and outside his own place - including telling his parents that if they do not bring their own guns they can't come to his house. (Yes, that is hyperbole, in case you were wondering.)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,797
    I see a few problems:

    1) When you live at home you follow your parents rules. Personally I joined the military less than two weeks after graduating to get out of my parents house because I didn't want to deal with their rules (I've planned on joining the military since I was about the age of four, they just sped up how close I set my BMT date to my HS graduation date).

    2) You're 19 and still live at home. While you will always be your parents' "kid" these two things really don't help. Now some parents will always view their kid as unable to think for theirselves, for most parents they treat their kids more as adults after they have moved out and aren't so close to the age of 18. Now as you get older they will likely come to treat you as an adult more, but moving out will still play a big part in it (and yes I understand why you feel that you can't currently move out).

    3) Anti-gun mom. Your mom has likely tried to sway your dad to her side at some point (and he has likely tried to do the same to her). Chances are that while he got her to accept the guns in the house and what not, she has also likely managed to sway your dad a bit in regards to why she doesn't like guns. At which point when you combine this with #2 and the fact that parents typically show a united front to their kids even if they don't agree, and chances are you're not going to make any headway.

    So all in all you likely need to move out and "mature" some more in your parents eyes before you can make any real headway. Of course this could be wrong and you might be able to convince them while living at home, but without knowing your parents it's hard to say.

  24. #24
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    When I was younger, you either voluntarily went into the military for 3 or more years, or you involuntarily went in for two years of active duty and 6 years of reserves, I chose to go in voluntarily.

    This option is also open to you if you are half way intelligent and half way fit. It can be a pain in teh behind, but you will go places you never would and get experience that will help you find good employment later. (or maybe even give you an idea to start your own business).

    If you do decide to go this route, figure out what you really want to do with your life, and work at getting into that field in the Military. They will train you, and you will get experience in that field...making you more valuable to an employer if you should decide to work for someone else, and make it easier for you if you should decide to have your own business.

    Do your own research, DO NOT listen only to a recruiter. The recruiter has a quota to fill and he/she will PUSH you to the opening that is in their best interest, not especially your best interest. You cannot "study" for the AFQT, but it is very important that you do the best you can on that first test. High scores open doors...

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran Verd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lampe, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by str3ngthz View Post
    Thanks man. The only problem is I make a slave wage $8/HR and I attend college full time, so there is no way, at that wage, I'll ever be able to move out.
    Goodness... where do you live? I support a family (wife and three kids) with a mortgage and I only get $10/hour (40 hour work week too, no OT)!
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •