• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moronic actions by another school board?

beebobby

Any organization that wraps itself in the flag or the Constitution to push its agenda needs to be scrutinized. I think they crossed the line when they added their own talking points instead of just handing out copies of the documents without commentary.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone know the actual texts of the opinions and viewpoints that the school board objected to?

Some were mentioned in the article. What I object to is that the opinions of one group of men (our Founding Fathers) are acceptable when distributed in "pure" form, but when the opinions of other groups of men are added, it somehow becomes unpure. What should be done is to examine varying opinions and discuss their relative merits. It's what we did during our Jr. and Sr. years in H.S. Both teachers interjected their own opinions right along with the varying opinions we discussed in class.

When kids are spoonfed what to think, or are kept away from dissenting opinions, they don't learn a damned thing. It's only when exposed to dissenting opinions that they learn to discriminate between the fluff and the bullhocky. People wonder how, given the massive amounts of money our country spends on education that it's even remotely possible.

It would be interesting to see what the fuss is all about. Is it legitimate or are politics getting in the way?

Politics always get in the way. Doesn't mean the underlying issues aren't legitimate. In this case, however, the issues appear to be illegitimate.

Strange course of action for a school board.

MilProGuy

It looks to me like the doners are providing thought-provoking material with the relevant Constitution and Declaration of Independence along with several key writings from pivitol points in our American History.

But, then, liberals really don't want the school systems to produce critical thinkers who are well versed in the Constitution and how it's application over the years has morphed into something that seems to be working against the individual and for a bigger and growing government no longer by the people, for the people and of the people.

Two very well-stated points.

Last edited:

frommycolddeadhands

Back in my day...

I've only been out of high school for a little over a decade, and I find it hard to believe that things have changed this much. We didn't have pocket sized pamphlets handed out in school. We didn't need to because the classroom had GIGANTIC poster sized reprints of the Declaration of Independence, and The Bill of Rights. The same thing was printed in our textbooks, and we had to take tests and pop quizzes on them, and have class discussions on what the Bill of Rights was and what it means.

It just so happens that I did have a miniature version of the US Constitution (which gathered dust on a bookshelf for many years) but it was distributed by the Boy Scouts during 'citizenship' week when I was, oh, I think nine or ten years old. (At the time I had only a vague idea of what the Constitution was, so it got set aside until I found it years later)

Of course, liberals would probably condemn my high school as a breeding ground for terrorists seeing as how the teachers brought in firearms at least once a year for demonstrations-- Historical muzzle loaders in History class, along with a demonstration of how they were loaded and fired with paper 'cartriges', semi-automatic pistols in JROTC for firearms safety lessons (from a much beloved Vietnam veteran who was our instructor), not to mention the fact that students actually touched (GASP!!) M-1A1 rifles during drill practice and actually FIRED (DOUBLE GASP!!) .117 daisy may pellet rifles every day after school for 2 hours because we actually had a competitive rifle team. (State Champs, btw)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I don't think schools should be a segway for any political organization to preach their message. If I had a kid, and they brought home a copy of the Constitution with an Apollo Alliance stamp on it, that sucker would go straight into the fireplace, and I reckon if I don't want liberal agencies stamping things on school material, I probably shouldn't suppor the 9/12-ers doing it either.

BaconMan

Any organization that wraps itself in the flag or the Constitution to push its agenda needs to be scrutinized. I think they crossed the line when they added their own talking points instead of just handing out copies of the documents without commentary.

Ditto....if they were to just donate the Constitution booklets they would have had less issues....once folks start adding opinions and viewpoints, that's when all heck breaks loose....:eek:

HandyHamlet

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Yes, I see your post #22... and #30 for that matter.

What prey tell does any of that have to do with all the tea in China?

See post #20, 21, 26 AND #29.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Should they include the Federalist papers and Anti-Federalist papers along with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution? What about the English Bill of Rights? Should they be required to point out the differences in language from certain carryovers and hypothesize on why? Should Thomas Jefferson's opinion be given equal or greater weight than Alexander Hamilton's?

Or should we just teach our kids ourselves or pick a private school that teaches them how we want which is only possible if we get the government the hell out of the school business?

Last edited:

georg jetson

Should they include the Federalist papers and Anti-Federalist papers along with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution? What about the English Bill of Rights? Should they be required to point out the differences in language from certain carryovers and hypothesize on why? Should Thomas Jefferson's opinion be given equal or greater weight than Alexander Hamilton's?

Or should we just teach our kids ourselves or pick a private school that teaches them how we want which is only possible if we get the government the hell out of the school business?

These are very good questions... and should be resolved at the local level. Most certainly the fed should not have it's hand in education. It also lacks the authority.

It's my belief that as OCers, it should be the highest priority for us to affect the dismantling of the Dept. of Education. It's brainwashing techniques such as "No Child Left Behind", are in direct conflict with our mission.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ditto....if they were to just donate the Constitution booklets they would have had less issues....once folks start adding opinions and viewpoints, that's when all heck breaks loose....:eek:

Trust me: Teachers have no qualms whatsoever about adding their own liberal opinions and viewpoints. This was an attempt to insert some mainstream opinions and viewpoints into the mix.

Please recall this began with G.B. Shaw: "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. Prov. People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching. (Used to disparage teachers. From George Bernard Shaw's Man and Superman.) Bob: I'm so discouraged. My writing teacher told me my novel is hopeless. Jane: Don't listen to her, Bob. Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach." - Source

It's meant to slight teachers, but it has it's roots in some serious blowback against the unrealistic idealism that often creeps into groups of people for whom immediate, realistic feedback is often lacking.

Thankfully, not all teachers are susceptible. Many learned to think on their own anyway. Fortunately, they're easy to identify -- they're the ones who threaten to deny tenure to others if they don't swallow the liberal swill hook, line, and sinker.