• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Louisiana require gun registration?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
The reason I ask is a an opinion issued by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit stated that Louisiana has a gun registration scheme under Louisiana, La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 40:1783 (registration of firearms).

Can anyone shed light on this?

John and I are not tracking Louisiana as requiring gun registration.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Yes, Louisiana requires registration of firearms. Or rather, "firearms", as defined in 40:1781, below:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97848

(3) "Firearm" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length; a rifle having a barrel of less than sixteen inches in length; any weapon made from either a rifle or a shotgun if said weapon has been modified to have an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; any other firearm, pistol, revolver, or shotgun from which the serial number or mark of identification has been obliterated, from which a shot is discharged by an explosive, if that weapon is capable of being concealed on the person; or a machine gun, grenade launcher, flame thrower, bazooka, rocket launcher, excluding black powder weapons, or gas grenade; and includes a muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not the firearm is included within this definition. Pistols and revolvers and those rifles and shotguns which have not previously been defined in this Paragraph as firearms from which serial numbers or marks of identification have not been obliterated are specifically exempt from this definition.

NFA stuff, in other words.

georg jetson

Mike, do you have a link to the opinion? I'd like to see the context of this reference.

Edit - I found it here...
http://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/DECA496973477C748525791F004D84F9/$file/10-7036-1333156.pdf

The cite appears in a footnote and it is used improperly. How does this type of misinformation end up in a final judgment from an appeals court? Attorneys not doing their job?

Last edited: