• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Approved Training Requirements?

LaBomba

I have been away for most of the summer. Did they ever finalize what will, FOR CERTAIN, qualify as the training requirement for the permits?

It's bad Sig, real bad. Includes an ESSAY question. Will find the thread/link for you, hold on.

HandyHamlet

It's bad Sig, real bad. Includes an ESSAY question. Will find the thread/link for you, hold on.

Lets not overexaggerate. It's not that bad. The vampire bat blood is a bit tricky to get ahold of in Wi...

[video=youtube;_zj3RTpeYG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zj3RTpeYG8[/video]

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

I have been away for most of the summer. Did they ever finalize what will, FOR CERTAIN, qualify as the training requirement for the permits?

DD214, Hunter Safety, Any permit/license from another State even if expired and most of the training you see advertised locally so long as the instructor is certified by a State or National organization which certifies its instructors. AACFI, NRA, Appleseed, etc.. Most of the local trainers are teaching Utah Permit classes so they are certified by the State of Utah.

MKEgal

Reality:
No, DOJ hasn't actually published anything saying that they're accepting training that's listed/described so clearly in the new law. Hopefully they'll do that before 01NOV... of course, we expected the applications to be available 01SEP as required, so don't hold your breath.

Practicality:
IK covered it pretty well.
If you want to read it yourself, there's a PDF of the new law down there in my SIG.
IIRC, training requirements start on pg. 8, right-hand column.

Captain Nemo

Took this off the DNR website. It will be interesting to see what the DoJ information says re: internet training.

CD-ROM/Internet Hunter Education Courses
The Department offers an optional method of certification for those that prefer a program other than the traditional hunter education course. If you would like to attend one of these courses, you must:

Pre-register with the instructor who is holding an Internet/CD-ROM certification field day course. As soon as an instructor plans a course, we will post it on our Upcoming Classes right away. TYPE: HUNTER CD/INTERNET. (If you leave the county blank, it will display all classes being held throughout Wisconsin. If you want to search only your county, enter your county in the County Search Field.)
The instructor will advise you where to obtain either the CD-ROM (if you do not have internet access) or provide you the internet address for the book portion of the course. You must complete the CD-ROM or Internet course before attending the field day.
Print the quizzes and bring them with you to the field day.
Attend the special field day specifically designed for this program. At the conclusion of the field day, you will take two exams; one written, and one practical.
Course Objective
To reduce the potential for hunting accidents, injuries and fatalities; to reduce the potential for conflict between hunters, landowners, and other resource users; and to promote safe, responsible, and ethical use of the environment and our resources.

Course Content
Our hunting heritage, hunting firearms, and equipment.
Understanding firearms; basic safety rules for hunters and shooters.
Proper care, cleaning, and storage of firearms and equipment.
Marksmanship fundamentals.
Responsibilities of hunters for our environment, wildlife, landowners, and others.
Wildlife identification and habits. USGS Waterfowl Identification guide (exits DNR site).
Field care of harvested game.
Handling outdoor emergencies.
Wildlife management; law enforcement and the student's role in the future of hunting.
How hunting accidents are caused and how they can be prevented.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Took this off the DNR website. It will be interesting to see what the DoJ information says re: internet training.

CD-ROM/Internet Hunter Education Courses
The Department offers an optional method of certification for those that prefer a program other than the traditional hunter education course....
There are none of these CD-ROM/Internet Hunter Education Courses scheduled at this time.

Interceptor_Knight

...Attend the special field day specifically designed for this program. At the conclusion of the field day, you will take two exams; one written, and one practical.

As you can see, this includes some amount of face-to-face training also... It is not internet only training.

HandyHamlet

[video=youtube;l2wlvZDdlJ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2wlvZDdlJ4[/video]

bowdownmaster.gif

Captain Nemo

I must be somewhat masochistic to be sucked into some of these diatrides. Of course there isn't any DNR training going on currently. They are over for the year. aif anyone would take the time to read the DNR website they will notice that hunter's training is conducted only two times a year. Yesit is too late for obtaining a hunter's education certificate for the Nov. 1 rush but there will be applications made after Nov. 1. The point I was making was in conjunction with the MD internet training. How will (can) the DoJ invalidate the MD internet training without jeopardizing the DNR training which will be sanctioned by statute? It is true the DNR internet training requires a "field" day whhich the MD training does not, but that is a moot point because, by statute, hands on requirements can not be a reason for approval or rejection of a permit application. The common denominator in my posst is "internet".

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I must be somewhat masochistic to be sucked into some of these diatrides. Of course there isn't any DNR training going on currently. They are over for the year. aif anyone would take the time to read the DNR website they will notice that hunter's training is conducted only two times a year. Yesit is too late for obtaining a hunter's education certificate for the Nov. 1 rush but there will be applications made after Nov. 1. ....
Unless I am misreading this website, I count 7 Hunter Safety Education classes starting this month and ending before Nov.1st. https://hfwolf.centraltechnology.net/wdnr/laam.nsf/publicHSClasses?OpenForm&Seq=4