Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video games

Video games

Who here likes to play video games? Personally I love video games, everything from Command & Conquer to Call of Duty to Elder Scrolls.

Very much looking forward to this holiday season, even if it's going to bankrupt me.

Posted using my HTC Evo

If simulations like Flight Simulator and X-Planes, and some of the racing stuff are "video games," then I'm in. I think some first-person shooter games can be fun, but only if you're competing on the basis of rapidity and accuracy. It's no fun when you're killed all the time and never get through to the higher levels. I know, that's not realistic...

I've played several X-Box 360 and PS2 games, mostly with my crew while in Iraq during down time, but I'm not much of a fan.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I love playing my xbox 360 for rpgs and fps's, but I much prefer to play tabletop rpgs which are old school pencil and paper games like D&D and whatnot.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

I'm a pretty big nerd =P I play a lot of PC games...Mostly Starcraft 2, Heroes of Newerth, and random other things. I've been a big MMO player since '95, playing Meridian 59, then Ultima Online, then Dark Age of Camelot, then WoW...with lots of betas in between lol.

Can't wait for Skyrim and Diablo 3 <3

Another flight simulator fan here, hence the name N605TW. Microsoft Flight Simulator 9, FSX, IL2 series, and DCS Black Shark.
    The only first person shooter I like to play these days is Team Fortress 2. The game play is addictive and the characters are hilarious.

@Since9 sims definitely count! I'd love to "play" some hardcore Flight sims. But only if I have the equipment. It's not really worth playing without at least a quality flight stick and they're expensive. But I'd love to have an enthusiast setup, would be awesome.

I do play YSFlight though, it's a low end sim and can be easily played using a PS3 controller.

I also enjoy board games, such as risk and settlers and the more complicated strategy games. I'm pretty good with Monopoly. Always fun to play a game with someone that thinks they're good and tell them I hadn't played in a while. They think they'll win, but in the end I typically end up winning.

Would love to play some military table top games too.

Posted using my HTC Evo

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Me and the kids love playing COD on xbox 360. I found it is also a good way to interreact and learn about who your kids friends are.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Huge flight sim monkey here. FSX back to 98. IL2 an my favorite sim Falcon 4.0 (yes I have the cougar HOTAS and the pedals for it.). Also play some call of duty mw2, mechwarrior 4 and warhammer dawn of war 2. Waiting to get the new space marine game. I used to play everything from doom to asherons call.

I like video games as well. I typically play first-person shooters or football. I also like a few RPGs such as the Fabke series. I have an Xbox360
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I started and beat Gears of War 3 this weekend and have started to replay it on insane. I also just picked up Rage yesterday. Here's some of the other games that I play:

Runescape
    World of Warcraft
    Fallout series
    XCOM series (UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown and Apocalypse are my two fav)
    Warcraft/Starcraft
    Halo
    CoD
    Might and Magic (VI and VII)

And a bunch of others. But I would say that list is my most common games that I switch between. I'm currently waiting on the new CoD and two Halo games to come out and already have them pre-ordered. Yes I'm a bit of a nerd and still love to play old games (I even got my SNES up and running and have been playing it too).

Waiting for Borderlands II.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Who here likes to play video games? Personally I love video games, everything from Command & Conquer to Call of Duty to Elder Scrolls.

Very much looking forward to this holiday season, even if it's going to bankrupt me.

Posted using my HTC Evo
    Buy stuff on Steam sales days. Play games all year for cheap.

I've been trying to get through my backlog of games. Thus far this year I've beaten:
    Mass Effect
    Max Payne 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    The Wonderful End of the world
    Toki Tori
    Portal 2 (single player and co op, though not the new DLC yet)
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    Counter Strike: condition zero
    Call of Duty4: Modern Warfare
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Half Life: Opposing Force
    Half Life: Blue Shift
    Sam and Max Season 1
    Sam and Max Season 2 (episodes 1 & 2)

In progress or temporarily set aside:
    AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    The Ball
    Borderlands
    Bully
    Darksiders
    Mirror's Edge
    Super Meat Boy

Sometimes fire up to play:
    Team Fortress 2
    COD MW2

And I've got a bunch more in queue
    Last edited by Tawnos; 10-05-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    I love me some SNES and Sega Genesis games. I even occasionally play some of those newfangled PSone and Nintendo 64 games. I consider that era the height of console game design.

Also, if you love older computer games, check out gog.com

I play battlefield 2 a lot. I've looked forward to Battlefield 3 for 6 years, just to find out EA has ruined my favorite series of games. Battlefield 3 is just another Call of Duty for all the console kids.

“The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone Baritone View Post
    I love me some SNES and Sega Genesis games.

I guess you would like my Vectrex? Original owner...
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 10-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I've been a "hardcore" FPS gamer since Delta Force came out back in 1999.

I love FPS, RPG, and MMO games; currently my favorites are; Battlefield 3 Beta (I hate Origin, preferred it if EA/DICE used steam.), Star Trek Online, and Second Life (fun little addictive social MMO, oh and it's free so it's double awesome ^.^).

Since a couple others have listed their games, I'll list what I can remember, since I have four large tote boxes full of PC games.

Delta Force
    Delta Force 2
    Delta Force: Task Force Dagger.
    DF: Land Warrior.
    DF: Black Hawk Down w/ Team Sabre.
    DF: Extreme.
    COD 1, w/ expansions.
    COD 2.
    CoD 4.
    CoD 5.
    CoD 6/MW2.
    CoD 7/Black Ops.
    Crysis 1/2.
    Battlefield 1942, vietnam, 1943, 2142, and of course 2.
    Battlefield Bad Company 2.
    Fall Out 3 w/ New Vegas.
    The Half-Life Series.
    World of Warcraft.
    The Warhammer PC Series.
    Command & Conquer series.
    Minecraft :P

Can't think of the others... But I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars buying every decent game brand new in it's time over the past 12 years. Not to mention my overly expensive custom, and hand built, Gaming rig, which is already out of date by three months >.<, the spec to it I'll just elave out to save space in the post ^~^.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post

Posted using my HTC Evo
    Absolutely love them.

My first system was an Atari 2600 followed by a ColecoVision (I'm dating myself here). I think I've owned just about every major platform since then (I love PC games too - I started out with a Commodore 64!).

I have been playing a lot of PS3 games lately (once the kids are asleep, which doesn't leave me a lot of time). As for favorite games of all time (to list a few): Anything Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros/ Mario 64, Eve Online, Grand Theft Auto series, COD Series, Halo series, StarCraft series, Unreal Tournament series, Quake series, Castlevania series, Doom series, Metroid series, Red Dead Redemption, Duke Nukem series, Archon, Ultima Series, Final Fantasy Series, Phantasy Star 2, Super Star Wars for SNES, Diablo II, Elder Scrolls series, Zork series, NetHack, Baldur's Gate series (including Planescape Torment), inFAMOUS, Advance Wars 2, Half-Life series, etc., etc., etc... I've been blessed with a handful of friends that went on to work in game design/programming so we often still meet up for a quick game or two (really good times).

Really looking forward to Dust 514 from CCP Games. I'll probably be spending a lot of time on this once it comes out.
    Minds are like parachutes. Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine...

I play everything. Not much of a console gamer as I find the controls clunky, and unreasonably slow. A mouse and keyboard gives optimum precision.

-League of Legends
    -City of Heroes/City of Villains
    -COD (MW/MW2/BO etc.)
    -Medal of Honor
    -Battlefield
    -Flight Sim X (With Traffic and Acceleration)
    -Diablo I and II (And 3 very soon )
    -Unreal

I like a few others started with a 2600, moved on to Colecovision, remember playing Oregon Trail on an Apple II, and finally got addicted when Wolfenstein 3D came out. I actually didn't start hardcore playing until my late 20's. I was the guy in the barracks you could never get to sit down and play Madden with the rest of the rats. Always felt I had something else to do. Like play Delta Force 2 with my squad on our own little lan party

Anybody remember "Police Quest"? I remember getting stabbed by the knife wielding bum like 10 times before I figured out what to do.

Also, there were a TON of awesome text based RPG's for earlier PC platforms.

Another good question for this thread, or maybe one of its own creation, is how dedicated to PC gaming performance are you? Nothing says "aww yeah" like playing games @ 1920x1200 on a 28" 100mhz LCD
    Last edited by slowfiveoh; 10-05-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    I play everything. Not much of a console gamer as I find the controls clunky, and unreasonably slow. A mouse and keyboard gives optimum precision.
    It's the only way to live...

if any of you guys are interested in playing battlefield 2, myself and a couple other friends (usually no more than 3) are on ventrilo. (mic just broke, gotta go get a new one this week.)

IP: carbon.typefrag.com
    PORT: 17288

We play BF2, left 4 dead 2, and some other random games here and there...
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post

We play BF2, left 4 dead 2, and some other random games here and there...
    Left 4 Dead 2... We played (xbox) for a while, but everyone eventually ends up wanting to punch something in the face.

We played BF2 for a long time. Loved it compared to COD. I hate the new COD. Just can't seem to master it. Had to do Space Marines in honor of my nephew. That took about a day... Come on Borderlands II already. The last expansion pack sucked balls.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 10-05-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Left 4 Dead 2... We played (xbox) for a while, but everyone eventually ends up wanting to punch something in the face.

We played BF2 for a long time. Loved it compared to COD. I hate the new COD. Just can't seem to master it. Had to do Space Marines in honor of my nephew. That took about a day... Come on Borderlands II already. The last expansion pack sucked balls.
    COD has always been the same if we are being honest with ourselves. Its a bunch of prepubescent kids setting clays just past doorways and hiding in corners. Then there's the baddies who MUST throw flashes to get a kill because their hand-eye coordination is god-awful. There's also the types who literally seem to bind their prone key to their fire key to glitch the character model and hitbox.

Really and truly, that's all COD has ever been. Oh, and I'm not bitching about it because I'm a baddie or anything. I probably have over 300 nukes on MW2 alone, with a best round of 108/2x. Yes, 108 kills.

Battlefield has remained attractive to me ever since BF2. The maps are excellent, and the ability to be tactical really pays off. I think ever since the second release it is just massively better than COD. COD is good for that quick run and gun fix, but can be quickly ruined by the aforementioned baddies. BF2 has better consistency.

Alas, I have lost my BF2 key in the move from Washington to here. Otherwise I would join for sure. Excellent game.

What's everybody running? Here's my rig:

Coolermaster Midsize Case (CMxxx, dont remember the rest of the model. Inconspicuous thing.)
    MSI NF980-G65 Mobo
    965 BE Proc
    4Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3
    320Gb Velociraptor
    BFG GT260 55nm Maxcore
    Standard Dell keyboard (Dude, these take SERIOUS punishment)
    Razer Deathadder on Destructor
    Last edited by slowfiveoh; 10-05-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Coolermaster Midsize Case (CMxxx, dont remember the rest of the model. Inconspicuous thing.)
    MSI NF980-G65 Mobo
    965 BE Proc
    4Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3
    320Gb Velociraptor
    BFG GT260 55nm Maxcore
    Standard Dell keyboard (Dude, these take SERIOUS punishment)
    Razer Deathadder on Destructor
    Let's see, the important bits only for gameplay
    my at work machine which is used for after work gaming:
    Win7
    30" monitor (Dell 3008WFP) - 2560x1600
    Core i7 920
    6 gigs of RAM
    Radeon HD5700 (1GB, I think...)

my laptop (lenovo t61p):
    Win8 build'o'the'week
    18" monitor (1680x1050)
    Core2Duo T7700
    8 gigs of RAM
    nvidia quadro fx 570m (512MB)

Home:
    Win7
    2x20" monitors (dell 2005WFP) - 2x1680x1050
    core2duo t8500 'wolfdale'
    4 gigs of RAM
    nvidia geforce 8800 GTX (512MB)

Next upgrade will be to put in a 30" monitor at home and upgrade to a geforce 580 or greater. Maybe just turn my current system into a server and go for a sandybridge/ivy bridge setup.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Let's see, the important bits only for gameplay
    my at work machine which is used for after work gaming:
    Win7
    30" monitor (Dell 3008WFP) - 2560x1600
    Core i7 920
    6 gigs of RAM
    Radeon HD5700 (1GB, I think...)

my laptop (lenovo t61p):
    Win8 build'o'the'week
    18" monitor (1680x1050)
    Core2Duo T7700
    8 gigs of RAM
    nvidia quadro fx 570m (512MB)

Home:
    Win7
    2x20" monitors (dell 2005WFP) - 2x1680x1050
    core2duo t8500 'wolfdale'
    4 gigs of RAM
    nvidia geforce 8800 GTX (512MB)

Next upgrade will be to put in a 30" monitor at home and upgrade to a geforce 580 or greater. Maybe just turn my current system into a server and go for a sandybridge/ivy bridge setup.
    That work machine looks pretty good. I don't particularly like ATI products as in every environment I have had them in or, or every bud who had one, burnt out after a fairly short life.

Not a big fan of the Core2Duos either. Pretty much a budget minded processor, but not everybody can afford the ridiculous price of the upper echelon i-series processors either, so yeah.

I will probably switch to whatever the new AMD elite series ends up being as soon as they come out. I'm still oddballing it in that I like (highly prefer) Nvidia cards, and AMD procs. Naturally its hard to find a nice gaming oriented mobo to satisfy both and​ be ddr3. So far as I know, and last time I looked, my board was the last of that breed.

That work machine looks pretty good. I don't particularly like ATI products as in every environment I have had them in or, or every bud who had one, burnt out after a fairly short life.
    I've used a lot of different cards, working in the graphics area in windows. Everybody has their foibles, but I haven't seen any particular higher failure rate.

Not a big fan of the Core2Duos either. Pretty much a budget minded processor, but not everybody can afford the ridiculous price of the upper echelon i-series processors either, so yeah.
    Considering these were top of the line when I got them 4 years ago, and they still run the latest games... uh, that's nice? How many PC systems have you had that lasted 4 years and could still play new games?

I will probably switch to whatever the new AMD elite series ends up being as soon as they come out. I'm still oddballing it in that I like (highly prefer) Nvidia cards, and AMD procs. Naturally its hard to find a nice gaming oriented mobo to satisfy both and​ be ddr3. So far as I know, and last time I looked, my board was the last of that breed.
    That's not hard at all.

Anything with a pci express slot can run whatever nvidia card you want to throw in it.

Really and truly, that's all COD has ever been. Oh, and I'm not bitching about it because I'm a baddie or anything. I probably have over 300 nukes on MW2 alone, with a best round of 108/2x. Yes, 108 kills.
    Glad I'm not the only one that sees it.

The adults are playing BF2 on the computer while all the kids play CoD on console.

The adults are playing as medics, engineers, and support classes to aid the team in maintaining their assets to give them the upper hand on the large scale battlefield.

The kids are on call of duty bunny hopping around corners building a massive kill-death-ratio.

In battlefield 2 we usually have me flying the chopper, a couple guys as engineers, and a gunner. We spend the entire game giving air support to squads, circling the flags and mowing down everyone with the mini gun. How do we keep the chopper in the air? Someone plays as an engineer and someone is a pilot...going the entire game with out getting 1 kill... team work, something that is lost in today's gaming.

EDIT:
    A random fraps clip from playing last week, just to get you in the mood.

turn that wrench!
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-05-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast