• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video games

slowfiveoh

Left 4 Dead 2... We played (xbox) for a while, but everyone eventually ends up wanting to punch something in the face.

;)

We played BF2 for a long time. Loved it compared to COD. I hate the new COD. Just can't seem to master it. Had to do Space Marines in honor of my nephew. That took about a day... Come on Borderlands II already. The last expansion pack sucked balls.

COD has always been the same if we are being honest with ourselves. Its a bunch of prepubescent kids setting clays just past doorways and hiding in corners. Then there's the baddies who MUST throw flashes to get a kill because their hand-eye coordination is god-awful. There's also the types who literally seem to bind their prone key to their fire key to glitch the character model and hitbox.

Really and truly, that's all COD has ever been. Oh, and I'm not bitching about it because I'm a baddie or anything. I probably have over 300 nukes on MW2 alone, with a best round of 108/2x. Yes, 108 kills.

Battlefield has remained attractive to me ever since BF2. The maps are excellent, and the ability to be tactical really pays off. I think ever since the second release it is just massively better than COD. COD is good for that quick run and gun fix, but can be quickly ruined by the aforementioned baddies. BF2 has better consistency.

Alas, I have lost my BF2 key in the move from Washington to here. Otherwise I would join for sure. Excellent game.

What's everybody running? Here's my rig:

Coolermaster Midsize Case (CMxxx, dont remember the rest of the model. Inconspicuous thing.)
MSI NF980-G65 Mobo
965 BE Proc
4Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3
320Gb Velociraptor
BFG GT260 55nm Maxcore
Standard Dell keyboard (Dude, these take SERIOUS punishment)
Razer Deathadder on Destructor

Last edited:

Tawnos

Coolermaster Midsize Case (CMxxx, dont remember the rest of the model. Inconspicuous thing.)
MSI NF980-G65 Mobo
965 BE Proc
4Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3
320Gb Velociraptor
BFG GT260 55nm Maxcore
Standard Dell keyboard (Dude, these take SERIOUS punishment)
Razer Deathadder on Destructor

Let's see, the important bits only for gameplay
my at work machine which is used for after work gaming:
Win7
30" monitor (Dell 3008WFP) - 2560x1600
Core i7 920
6 gigs of RAM
Radeon HD5700 (1GB, I think...)

my laptop (lenovo t61p):
Win8 build'o'the'week
18" monitor (1680x1050)
Core2Duo T7700
8 gigs of RAM
nvidia quadro fx 570m (512MB)

Home:
Win7
2x20" monitors (dell 2005WFP) - 2x1680x1050
core2duo t8500 'wolfdale'
4 gigs of RAM
nvidia geforce 8800 GTX (512MB)

Next upgrade will be to put in a 30" monitor at home and upgrade to a geforce 580 or greater. Maybe just turn my current system into a server and go for a sandybridge/ivy bridge setup.

slowfiveoh

Let's see, the important bits only for gameplay
my at work machine which is used for after work gaming:
Win7
30" monitor (Dell 3008WFP) - 2560x1600
Core i7 920
6 gigs of RAM
Radeon HD5700 (1GB, I think...)

my laptop (lenovo t61p):
Win8 build'o'the'week
18" monitor (1680x1050)
Core2Duo T7700
8 gigs of RAM
nvidia quadro fx 570m (512MB)

Home:
Win7
2x20" monitors (dell 2005WFP) - 2x1680x1050
core2duo t8500 'wolfdale'
4 gigs of RAM
nvidia geforce 8800 GTX (512MB)

Next upgrade will be to put in a 30" monitor at home and upgrade to a geforce 580 or greater. Maybe just turn my current system into a server and go for a sandybridge/ivy bridge setup.

That work machine looks pretty good. I don't particularly like ATI products as in every environment I have had them in or, or every bud who had one, burnt out after a fairly short life.

Not a big fan of the Core2Duos either. Pretty much a budget minded processor, but not everybody can afford the ridiculous price of the upper echelon i-series processors either, so yeah.

I will probably switch to whatever the new AMD elite series ends up being as soon as they come out. I'm still oddballing it in that I like (highly prefer) Nvidia cards, and AMD procs. Naturally its hard to find a nice gaming oriented mobo to satisfy both and​ be ddr3. So far as I know, and last time I looked, my board was the last of that breed.

Tawnos

That work machine looks pretty good. I don't particularly like ATI products as in every environment I have had them in or, or every bud who had one, burnt out after a fairly short life.
I've used a lot of different cards, working in the graphics area in windows. Everybody has their foibles, but I haven't seen any particular higher failure rate.

Not a big fan of the Core2Duos either. Pretty much a budget minded processor, but not everybody can afford the ridiculous price of the upper echelon i-series processors either, so yeah.
Considering these were top of the line when I got them 4 years ago, and they still run the latest games... uh, that's nice? How many PC systems have you had that lasted 4 years and could still play new games?

I will probably switch to whatever the new AMD elite series ends up being as soon as they come out. I'm still oddballing it in that I like (highly prefer) Nvidia cards, and AMD procs. Naturally its hard to find a nice gaming oriented mobo to satisfy both and​ be ddr3. So far as I know, and last time I looked, my board was the last of that breed.

That's not hard at all.

Anything with a pci express slot can run whatever nvidia card you want to throw in it.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Really and truly, that's all COD has ever been. Oh, and I'm not bitching about it because I'm a baddie or anything. I probably have over 300 nukes on MW2 alone, with a best round of 108/2x. Yes, 108 kills.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees it.

The adults are playing BF2 on the computer while all the kids play CoD on console.

The adults are playing as medics, engineers, and support classes to aid the team in maintaining their assets to give them the upper hand on the large scale battlefield.

The kids are on call of duty bunny hopping around corners building a massive kill-death-ratio.

In battlefield 2 we usually have me flying the chopper, a couple guys as engineers, and a gunner. We spend the entire game giving air support to squads, circling the flags and mowing down everyone with the mini gun. How do we keep the chopper in the air? Someone plays as an engineer and someone is a pilot...going the entire game with out getting 1 kill... team work, something that is lost in today's gaming.

EDIT:
A random fraps clip from playing last week, just to get you in the mood.
[video=youtube;ikcHDSnj0os]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikcHDSnj0os&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

turn that wrench!

Last edited:

DangerClose

Multiple times I've seen an RTS and thought it'd be fun, and then I play it and once again realize I don't find them fun.

I've had fun in various MMOs, but I only play them in spurts, so that limits the fun factor of guilds and all that.

Never been into FPSs much other than playing single-person mode to see how the story goes. Having said that, if anyone reading this hasn't played Team Fortress 2, give it a try. It's free, and it's great.

Speaking of free, there are good free games out now I'd like to play (more), but time is ever elusive, isn't it.

Lord of the Rings Online. Kind of like World of Warcraft in Middle-Earth.
Dungeons and Dragons Online. The combat is unlike other MMOs. It's almost like a 3rd-person shooter. Best dungeons and quests around, and great if you like small-group PVE. Underrated game. You know all those people who say, "I want to play an MMO that's not a WoW clone"? DDO is that game.

Age of Conan just went F2P. Not as polished or fun as something like LOTRO or DDO, but it'd be nice to find the time for it.
Team Fortress 2. My addiction ever since it went F2P and I finally gave it a try. Fortunately(?) I haven't played it for weeks now.

City of Heroes just went F2P too. I played it 2-3 years ago for a month or two. It doesn't look like much, but then you get into a fight and start throwing your superpowers around, and it turns into a different game. I spent most of the first week just playing with the "travel powers." Flying, super speed, super jumping. Fly anywhere. Jump as high as a skyscraper. Just fun. The game gets repetitive after a while since the missions are generic, or at least were at the time, but oh well.

Thanks to sites like Youtube, I can satisfy a lot of my gaming itch and save a lot of time by just skimming through walkthroughs/playthroughs since I often only play games for the storylines or to see the sights anyway.

slowfiveoh

City of Heroes just went F2P too. I played it 2-3 years ago for a month or two. It doesn't look like much, but then you get into a fight and start throwing your superpowers around, and it turns into a different game. I spent most of the first week just playing with the "travel powers." Flying, super speed, super jumping. Fly anywhere. Jump as high as a skyscraper. Just fun. The game gets repetitive after a while since the missions are generic, or at least were at the time, but oh well.

I have been using a Mastermind for the past 3 days after trying multiple different classes. I'm now mid 30's heading towards 50. Best. Class. Ever.

I chose robots with flat damage enhancements. The Assault bot with Upgrade Robot is mindbending. Literally mows down entire fields of npc baddies. You should try it sometime.

I too played it for like a month 3 years ago, and yeah, then I didn't think it so hot. Just do sewer trials until you are 32+ and the game changes pretty dramatically.

DrakeZ07

ooooh goodie, others have some good specs... here's mine.

One Dell 23" Widescreen LCD's, one 20" LCD, one 17" CRT.
Logitech G15 Keyboard... Seriously, I've had this thing for 6 years, and it's never failed.
Logitech G9x, I love it, before it, I had a Logitech G7 mouse, it last four years and died.
Logitech G35 headset.
(Can ya tell I'm a logitech fan? :p)

Base computer chasis is an old Dell XPS 720; It was gutted, some things kept, others replaced; here's the specs.

Two Western Digital 1tb 10,600RPM HDD's.
Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti Fermi's.
Intel Quad Core2 processors, combined Factory OC'd at 4.2GHz.
6GB DDR3 RAM.
Windows Vista.
Original Dell XPS 720 NVIDIA SLI motherboard :D

<3~

slowfiveoh

I've used a lot of different cards, working in the graphics area in windows. Everybody has their foibles, but I haven't seen any particular higher failure rate.

Then you haven't been in very long, or specifically do not deal with hardware. You could also have just been lucky with back to back low RMA production runs. Don't know man, I'm guessing over 15 years in this trade I have seen stuff come and go. I have personally done at least 4000+ machines considering all of the refresh projects I have taken part in. I guess I use that as a valuable metric. Most of my experience is with Dell and HP/Compaq shops. If you have done this for any length of time, you remember issues with VE cards in Optiplex workstations.

If you work in the "graphics" side of the house, you may comment thoroughly on your experience for sure, but I don't know if you would be so inclined to comment as to the nature of hardware procurement on a massive level and their associated RMA's? When the Marketing or Graphics Design departments need help, they call me. When they need a special rig built, whether it's a simple preorder of a G5 with Maya, or a fully built custom rig from Tigerdirect or various other sources (I highly prefer them to Newegg thanks), I spec it and build it for them.

LOL this reminds me of a bin at my last position in Washington with a major financial firm based out of Tacoma. They wanted to do a complete PC refresh (global laptops for EVERYONE) during the Win7 rollout, WHILE they relocated to Seattle (lulz to whatever genius thought this was a good idea), and there was a particularly high RMA for Dell Latitude laptops and certain workstations for their ATI sourced cards. Intel chipsets had the same problems, granted. Ever do a video card swap on a E6410? Durp. Anyways, the bin had probably 200 VE's in it from the PREVIOUS rollout years prior. All of them were bad.

This is one example out of 15 years of doing this....

Considering these were top of the line when I got them 4 years ago, and they still run the latest games... uh, that's nice? How many PC systems have you had that lasted 4 years and could still play new games?

Wasn't dogging you for it, but if you really want to go there, yeah, pretty much any AMD of the same generation will too. Processors are rarely the limitation for performance unless heavy CPU rendering is utilized.

That's not hard at all.

Anything with a pci express slot can run whatever nvidia card you want to throw in it.

LOL no, not if you plan to SLI/Crossfire, and have DDR3. I was talking gaming rigs, not word and document processing workstations. That's why its posted in the video game thread.

Last edited:

Tawnos

Then you haven't been in very long, or specifically do not deal with hardware. You could also have just been lucky with back to back low RMA production runs. Don't know man, I'm guessing over 15 years in this trade I have seen stuff come and go. I have personally done at least 4000+ machines considering all of the refresh projects I have taken part in. I guess I use that as a valuable metric. Most of my experience is with Dell and HP/Compaq shops. If you have done this for any length of time, you remember issues with VE cards in Optiplex workstations.
4000? how quaint ;). IF the failure rate were as high as you think, we'd have major lab issues.

Seriously, if you're going to pull OEM issues into the mix, well, let me tell you a bit about that. Dell (as well as a ton of the rest of the industry), had an issue with bad capacitors for a while. Unlike the rest of the industry, Dell lied about the issue. This has nothing to do with ATI as an IHV (now owned by AMD and no longer really called ATI, mind you). I could pick a point in time and blame one vendor or another for problems at that point. When Vista shipped, for example, nVidia was responsible for almost 30% of crashes. However, if you wanted my personal, not employee sponsored or related at all to my job, opinion, nvidia has done a much better job with their drivers since then. I don't think this is a case where past performance is a strict indicator of future results (else we might still have Matrox or 3dfx or Trident or SGI or any of the other past leaders as prime players).

If you work in the "graphics" side of the house, you may comment thoroughly on your experience for sure, but I don't know if you would be so inclined to comment as to the nature of hardware procurement on a massive level and their associated RMA's? When the Marketing or Graphics Design departments need help, they call me. When they need a special rig built, whether it's a simple preorder of a G5 with Maya, or a fully built custom rig from Tigerdirect or various other sources (I highly prefer them to Newegg thanks), I spec it and build it for them.
Tiger direct over newegg? What is this, 1995? :p
Nah, just razzing, I've heard TD has gotten better from their early 2000s antics, but it seems weird you'd be specifying a G5, since that was a 2002/2003 part. As for current systems

LOL this reminds me of a bin at my last position in Washington with a major financial firm based out of Tacoma. They wanted to do a complete PC refresh (global laptops for EVERYONE) during the Win7 rollout, WHILE they relocated to Seattle (lulz to whatever genius thought this was a good idea), and there was a particularly high RMA for Dell Latitude laptops and certain workstations for their ATI sourced cards. Intel chipsets had the same problems, granted. Ever do a video card swap on a E6410? Durp. Anyways, the bin had probably 200 VE's in it from the PREVIOUS rollout years prior. All of them were bad.

This is one example out of 15 years of doing this....
You do realize that there are multiple AMD graphics card manufacturers? In fact, I don't even know if they make cards any longer, instead providing only the chips. I'd have to look into that. Either way, your point doesn't stand, because you're attacking an IHV by citing problems with an OEM (which may even be due to ODM issues).

Wasn't dogging you for it, but if you really want to go there, yeah, pretty much any AMD of the same generation will too. Processors are rarely the limitation for performance unless heavy CPU rendering is utilized.
Processor? These are whole systems. Sure, the wolfdale was top of its class when it came out, but the GTX8800 and 570M are no slouches, either. About the only reason I'd need to upgrade right now is to support larger textures (512MB is large, but not huge) and, more importantly, a larger resolution. Eliminate one bottleneck at a time, though.

LOL no, not if you plan to SLI/Crossfire, and have DDR3. I was talking gaming rigs, not word and document processing workstations. That's why its posted in the video game thread.

Seriously? Click that link. Any of the systems that have 2x PCI Express x16 can support SLI or CrossfireX. In fact, here's a link with only those mobos with 2+ slots, and DDR3. There are 112 returned. One of the last? What?

slowfiveoh

4000? how quaint ;). IF the failure rate were as high as you think, we'd have major lab issues.

Seriously, if you're going to pull OEM issues into the mix, well, let me tell you a bit about that. Dell (as well as a ton of the rest of the industry), had an issue with bad capacitors for a while. Unlike the rest of the industry, Dell lied about the issue. This has nothing to do with ATI as an IHV (now owned by AMD and no longer really called ATI, mind you). I could pick a point in time and blame one vendor or another for problems at that point. When Vista shipped, for example, nVidia was responsible for almost 30% of crashes. However, if you wanted my personal, not employee sponsored or related at all to my job, opinion, nvidia has done a much better job with their drivers since then. I don't think this is a case where past performance is a strict indicator of future results (else we might still have Matrox or 3dfx or Trident or SGI or any of the other past leaders as prime players).

Yeah bad caps are a NOTORIOUS issue with Dell Mobos. I have indeed probably done at least 50 of those personally. By the way, I really hate the new laptop disassembly process.

I have my puny Dell Certification and the proprietary course cert thing you have to take for the RMA process, and I would bet video cards, TFT's and mobos are abundant on its history.

Part of my commentary was alluding to the recognition of AMD's acquiring of ATI, and the fact that it is getting hard to find Nforce boards that are DDR3 and AMD. I admittedly haven't peeked in the past ~3 months, but maybe that has changed. My board was one of the only available at the time with this configuration.

Tiger direct over newegg? What is this, 1995? :p
Nah, just razzing, I've heard TD has gotten better from their early 2000s antics, but it seems weird you'd be specifying a G5, since that was a 2002/2003 part. As for current systems

I'm a die-hard RISC 64-bit Mac guy, or was when I worked for them anyways. Of course the Mac Pro with its X64 procs is faster and more efficient, and the last machines I ordered were Mac Pros for the marketing guys.

You do realize that there are multiple AMD graphics card manufacturers? In fact, I don't even know if they make cards any longer, instead providing only the chips. I'd have to look into that. Either way, your point doesn't stand, because you're attacking an IHV by citing problems with an OEM (which may even be due to ODM issues).

Of course but the primary problems are with factory heat-sinking. Most Nvidia solutions come with a rather hefty heat-sink and ducting solution, plus, natively, the GPU's typically run cooler than their AMD counterparts.

Processor? These are whole systems. Sure, the wolfdale was top of its class when it came out, but the GTX8800 and 570M are no slouches, either. About the only reason I'd need to upgrade right now is to support larger textures (512MB is large, but not huge) and, more importantly, a larger resolution. Eliminate one bottleneck at a time, though.

Uh, Wolfsdale refers to the E8500 class of Core2Duo processors dude. It's not a whole system, just the procs codename. The processor is a wholly separate component from the videocard, and the two can't actually be compared.

A GTX8800 and 570M are graphics cards. One being the top of the line (I owned 3 of them in 2 machines) GPU at the time from Nvidia, the other (570M) being a mobile videocard.

The Core2Duos competitor would have been the AMD X2 line of processors, namely Phenoms and Athlons. My last proc was actually a Deneb (6000+).

Seriously? Click that link. Any of the systems that have 2x PCI Express x16 can support SLI or CrossfireX. In fact, here's a link with only those mobos with 2+ slots, and DDR3. There are 112 returned. One of the last? What?

Ah, nevermind, I had to sit here and think about why my board was one of the "last of its kind at the time" and now that I think about it it was because it is the latest iteration of Nforce with AM3 and DDR3.

See how many currently produced Nforce boards that are AM3 + DDR3 you can find.

Tawnos

Yeah bad caps are a NOTORIOUS issue with Dell Mobos. I have indeed probably done at least 50 of those personally. By the way, I really hate the new laptop disassembly process.

I have my puny Dell Certification and the proprietary course cert thing you have to take for the RMA process, and I would bet video cards, TFT's and mobos are abundant on its history.

Part of my commentary was alluding to the recognition of AMD's acquiring of ATI, and the fact that it is getting hard to find Nforce boards that are DDR3 and AMD. I admittedly haven't peeked in the past ~3 months, but maybe that has changed. My board was one of the only available at the time with this configuration.
I dunno how everything looked last year/a few months ago.

Of course but the primary problems are with factory heat-sinking. Most Nvidia solutions come with a rather hefty heat-sink and ducting solution, plus, natively, the GPU's typically run cooler than their AMD counterparts.
Do you have any sources for this 0.o?

Uh, Wolfsdale refers to the E8500 class of Core2Duo processors dude. It's not a whole system, just the procs codename. The processor is a wholly separate component from the videocard, and the two can't actually be compared.

A GTX8800 and 570M are graphics cards. One being the top of the line (I owned 3 of them in 2 machines) GPU at the time from Nvidia, the other (570M) being a mobile videocard.

The Core2Duos competitor would have been the AMD X2 line of processors, namely Phenoms and Athlons. My last proc was actually a Deneb (6000+).
Did I ever indicate otherwise? You were the one to talk to CPU usage, and said "Not a big fan of the Core2Duos either. Pretty much a budget minded processor, but not everybody can afford the ridiculous price of the upper echelon i-series processors either" which indicates that's all you were talking about, and made it part of what I addressed. What I said there was that it was a top of the line CPU, AND the other parts were pretty damn good at the time of purchase as well. Why would you talk down to me like I don't know **** about hardware?

Ah, nevermind, I had to sit here and think about why my board was one of the "last of its kind at the time" and now that I think about it it was because it is the latest iteration of Nforce with AM3 and DDR3.

See how many currently produced Nforce boards that are AM3 + DDR3 you can find.

Six. Though there's a good reason things are this way.

Last edited:

okboomer

LOL - the last computer game I was serious about playing was Gorrila Basic with my daughter when she was 5 and up LOL

slowfiveoh

I dunno how everything looked last year/a few months ago.

Do you have any sources for this 0.o?

No problem.

temps.jpg

There's a lot more info on this, but the core (GPU) temperatures between Nvidia and ATI are typically 5-10 degrees apart in a given operation, on comparable cards.

Couple that with weak factory cooling from most AMD GPU manufacturers, and you have a lot of ATI followers reaching to Zalman and the like for their aftermarket cooling needs out of necessity. I have several buddies running late model ATI's who immediately went out to purchase a new cooling solution for it. They really are that hot.

I can get my Nvidias pretty hot too and have even managed to overheat one of the aforementioned BFG GTS8800 OC cards. It politely let me know by locking my system up whenever pushed, and well, I guess I shouldn't have been using it to run physx and render at the same time on Sacred 2 @ 1920x1200 with everything set to high. Specifically with a character that used a TON of sprite and particle effects. ;)

Did I ever indicate otherwise? You were the one to talk to CPU usage, and said "Not a big fan of the Core2Duos either. Pretty much a budget minded processor, but not everybody can afford the ridiculous price of the upper echelon i-series processors either" which indicates that's all you were talking about, and made it part of what I addressed. What I said there was that it was a top of the line CPU, AND the other parts were pretty damn good at the time of purchase as well. Why would you talk down to me like I don't know **** about hardware?

Did I misunderstand this then?

Sure, the wolfdale was top of its class when it came out, but the GTX8800 and 570M are no slouches, either.

The comment looks like you are comparing the two.

I wasn't trying to be a d***, more of a d*****. :D

I just thought maybe you were tired or something.

Six. Though there's a good reason things are this way.

Might a procurement of ATI by AMD be a motivating factor? ;)

Mine was 1 of 2 at the time I purchased it, and the 2nd one which I believe was a Gigabyte, was known to have issues with something, of which, I cannot recall. I want to say they couldn't get it to work with most available memory. This one has an issue too. It has onboard Bios recovery, which is good because every once in a while the Bios has a spasm (corrupts), and you have to know a key sequence to get it to boot into recovery mode and reflash itself.

Fickle little board.

LOL - the last computer game I was serious about playing was Gorrila Basic with my daughter when she was 5 and up LOL

Gaming has become a multibillion dollar a year industry, and the hardware and software now is so advanced that it provides the premier fantasy outlet for billions worldwide. It's amazing what Duck Hunt and Mario caused with their mainstreaming of video game consoles.

Now we have tournaments where people win $100,000 just or being amongst the best at a video game. Everything is linked and the ratings around the world are viewable for all. heck, even the championships are streamed like boxing matches.

We all have our hobbies.

I spin wrenches on drag cars.
I absolutely love building bikes and you might catch me vacuum syncing the carbs on one of the old Hondas were you to randomly walk past my house on a Sunday.
I still sit and read a good book every now and then (Einsteins Dreams by Alan Lightman being my current favorite read).

The fact though, is that video games take us where we WANT to go, or to do things we want to do, but CAN'T otherwise.

Nothing like being able to Taxi a 747 out of Singapore for a short flight over to Japan while drinking a beer, or slide your Dodge Viper ACR around Laguna Seca while being able to pause it to give your daughter a kiss for bedtime.

Video games are cool, and if you haven't tried them in the past 10 years, you are missing out bigtime.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
All on the Wii.

It's all fun in games until someone takes a Wii controller to the face. I remember once a friend "pretending" to throw the remote at me, it wasn't going to actually fly into my face because he has the lanyard around his wrist. Well, the remote went into motion and the lanyard slipped right off his hand.... I've been there...

Aknazer

Man you guys have some crazy computers. I need to get a new case as the power button no longer works (luckily the MOBO has a power button to turn it on...) and with graphics/memory heavy things my computer likes to just restart which has fried two graphics cards (yay for lifetime warranty) on me so I think my PSU is going, but here's my setup:

24" Spectre in 1900x1280 (monitor for gaming)
22" (monitor for browsing the web)
EVGA GTX285 (was 260 but after the last GPU went out I got a free upgrade)
PNY GT8800 (set up as a dedicated physics card)
EVGA X58 motherboard
Intel i7
Coolmaster Spin Q heatsink
12gigs of ram
1100w modular PSU
Apevia Case
Windows 7 x64

I'm on my fourth power supply already. The first one simply didn't have enough amps and would cause the computer to shut down whenever I started a game. My second one died about a month after getting it (the Japanese have horrible return policies). My third was DoA. And so now I'm looking for another one to hope that fixes the random restart issue.

DangerClose

There's a lot more info on this, but the core (GPU) temperatures between Nvidia and ATI are typically 5-10 degrees apart in a given operation, on comparable cards.

Couple that with weak factory cooling from most AMD GPU manufacturers, and you have a lot of ATI followers reaching to Zalman and the like for their aftermarket cooling needs out of necessity. I have several buddies running late model ATI's who immediately went out to purchase a new cooling solution for it. They really are that hot.

That chart maxes out at 85 degrees. My question would be "who cares?" I've had a "it's as hot as the sun and sounds like a leaf blower!" ATI 2900 pretty much since it came out, and people were always so worked up about their card being over 70 degrees or whatever when the card doesn't even throttle itself until about 100 degrees. Cooler is better, of course, but people take that too far. "Oh no, I'm over 70 degrees! I better pay $50 to get an aftermarket cooler!"

And on that note, people might remember how people said the 2900 is so loud because it's so hot. A problem of that is it's set to crank the fan to 50% or so at the slightest bit over X temperature. Use fan control software, and it doesn't have that problem. Mine's set for 25% fan speed in 2D mode, sits in the 50s for temps, and it's so quiet at 25% you can't even hear it. I have it set to slowly kick up as the temp rises, and it pretty much maxes at 85 degrees at 38% or 42% fan, which is not silent but far from loud.

Now, none of that takes away from your "ATI runs hotter than Nvidia" point, but ATI people needing aftermarket cooling out of necessity is often only because the need is in their heads.

Jack House

My PC is a custom built system, I love it.

I have:

i7-950
Sabertooth mobo
Corsair 850TX PSU
6GB(2x3) G.Skill PI series DDR3 1600 RAM
HAF X tower
PoS 9500GT NVidia GPU

Will be upgrading the GPU soonish, hopefully.

slowfiveoh

Now, none of that takes away from your "ATI runs hotter than Nvidia" point, but ATI people needing aftermarket cooling out of necessity is often only because the need is in their heads.

Dozens of dead dies says otherwise.

I'm not a Nvidia "fanboy". I am speaking from experience, and from raw observation of my friends experiences.

This isn't to say they are all "bad", but merely pointing out a higher than usual return rate, mostly​ in their OEM supplied solutions.

Jack House

I agree that ATI cards tend to run hotter than Nvidia cards. But I don't really see it as being a deal breaker.

Posted using my HTC Evo