View Poll Results: Who should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • In custody of the state - currently incarcerated or institutionalized

24 77.42%
  • In custody of the state - on probation

12 38.71%
  • In custody of the state - under supervision

12 38.71%
  • In custody of the state - on bail

7 22.58%
  • All convicted felons released from custody

5 16.13%
  • All violent convicted felons released from custody

13 41.94%
  • All those convicted of domestic violence, released from custody

6 19.35%
  • Anyone addicted to controlled substances

8 25.81%
  • Anyone addicted to alcohol

5 16.13%
  • No one - that is, anyone, anywhere, should be able to purchase a firearm

5 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Who should be prohibited from possessing a firearm?

Who should be prohibited from possessing a firearm?

Please note this is in response to Jack House's thread, here. His answers were phrased in such a way as to force mutual exclusivity, rather than being additive, which was, I believe, his intent. Because of the ambiguity, the results of his poll are ambiguous (mostly meaningless).

No offense to Jack, as it's a great idea to poll and he meant well.

With that in mind, I've reworked it to remove the problems and reposted. Choose all that apply.
    Last edited by since9; 10-05-2011 at 01:24 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Founder's Club Member
    Tsk, tsk. You forgot the most important group of criminals that should be disarmed--the government.

All weapons should be under the physical control of individual non-government citizens.

I'll take all the Apache helicopters east of the Mississipi. Who wants the F16's?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Tsk, tsk. You forgot the most important group of criminals that should be disarmed--the government.

All weapons should be under the physical control of individual non-government citizens.

I'll take all the Apache helicopters east of the Mississipi. Who wants the F16's?
    I'll take an A-10.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Please note this is in response to Jack House's thread, here. His answers were phrased in such a way as to force mutual exclusivity, rather than being additive, which was, I believe, his intent. Because of the ambiguity, the results of his poll are ambiguous (mostly meaningless).
    The original intent was to create a poll for those that do not believe in background checks, but ultimately changed. Originally the options were intended to be exclusive, but I figured that would require too many options, so I attempted instead for them to be additive. But like I said in the OP, I'm not very good at making polls and the intent morphed so it made it rather difficult. In the end, I wasn't really too interested in the poll results, but more in the written responses.

When you say "In the custody of the state - under supervision" what exactly do you mean? For example, does it include people who are under supervision but haven't been convicted of a crime (such as when watching someone to try and build evidence), or do you mean someone who has been convicted and is on house arrest? Because for me it deals with being convicted and simply serving out that conviction in a place other than prison vs simply having one's rights infringed upon without due process and "under supervision" is ambiguous in regards to if one has had proper due process or not.

I'll vote after you answer what it is supposed to mean.
    Last edited by Aknazer; 10-05-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    The original intent was to create a poll for those that do not believe in background checks, but ultimately changed. Originally the options were intended to be exclusive, but I figured that would require too many options, so I attempted instead for them to be additive. But like I said in the OP, I'm not very good at making polls and the intent morphed so it made it rather difficult. In the end, I wasn't really too interested in the poll results, but more in the written responses.
    No worries, Jack. And I had no intentions of stealing your thunder. Between the great responses on your thread and the more accurate poll, here, we should be able to come up with something. Any chance you can put a plug in on your thread for people to review their answers, here?

- since9
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Personally, I checked the first nine choices.

The Constitution says the first answer and last answer are the only correct answers.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Wow.......

That's a lot of anti-rights votes!

I do believe that access to firearms should be prohibited to current inmates and to non-persons like these two though:

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    The Constitution says ...
    Citation!!

If you have been released from jail / prison / institution, and you can not still be trusted with a firearm, then WHY were they released in the first place?

You have either served your time, and are free, or you are not.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Citation!!
    Wow. Some people want a citation for everything...

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    I'm not sure how one can interpret "shall not be infringed" as anything but an absolutely protected right.

To any who doubt this interpretation lets look at what the people who wrote it and fought for it think it says:

Patrick Henry: "The great objective is that every man be armed. . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun."

Alexander Hamilton: "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Richard Henry Lee: "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

"The bearing of arms is the essential medium through which the individual asserts both his social power and his participation in politics as a responsible moral being..."-- J.G.A. Pocock, describing the beliefs of the founders of the U.S.

last but MOST certainly not least:

Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. -- Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788, on "militia" in the 2nd Amendment

I have yet to see where there is any indication from the authors of the second amendment that the government should be able to restrict the bearing of arms to only some people. In fact such an idea goes counter to amending the constitution to specifically prevent such an act.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    If you have been released from jail / prison / institution, and you can not still be trusted with a firearm, then WHY were they released in the first place?

You have either served your time, and are free, or you are not.
    There is another option: capital punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    Personally, I checked the first nine choices.
    Really?

The Constitution says the first answer and last answer are the only correct answers.
    Ha, I get the humor, as I'm sure you're aware they're mutually exclusive. By design.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    When you say "In the custody of the state - under supervision" what exactly do you mean? For example, does it include people who are under supervision but haven't been convicted of a crime (such as when watching someone to try and build evidence), or do you mean someone who has been convicted and is on house arrest? Because for me it deals with being convicted and simply serving out that conviction in a place other than prison vs simply having one's rights infringed upon without due process and "under supervision" is ambiguous in regards to if one has had proper due process or not.

I'll vote after you answer what it is supposed to mean.
    There's four states of custody: incarceration, probation, supervision, and bail. Custody refers to a curtailment of your freedom of liberty. Incarceration occurs only after a conviction. We all know what bail is, but I'll clarify that it's a curtailment enforced by some serious risk of financial loss. Probation occurs as a result of conviction as well, but either after incarceration, in conjunction with it, or in lieu of it.

Therefore, simple deduction leads us to conclude supervision includes all other forms of custody. This would include detainment subsequent to a stop, house arrest, detention of a suspect, and internment.

Hope this helps clarify.

Centurion
    There is another option: capital punishment.
    If one who has had the Capitol Punishment executed upon their person is able to pick up and handle a firearm, I will not object!

Some may go right to the "ZOMBIE DRILLS"
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    If one who has had the Capitol Punishment executed upon their person is able to pick up and handle a firearm, I will not object!

I have Capitol punishment visited on me regularly. Congress is constantly afflicting me with numerous laws (or delegating regulatory power to proxie thieves and thugs).

My toilet doesn't flush reliably. I'm gonna haveta drive to Amish country to learn how they light their homes at night because shortly incandescent bulbs will be illegal. (Amish don't have phones, so I can't call them.) The list goes on and on and on.

Sometimes those people in the Capitol don't even bother to read the bills they are going to punish me with.

Yep, Capitol punishment happens all the time in this country.

Centurion

OK, I get the joke.. but I did spell the wrong word CORRECTLY!
    please read "capitol" as "capital" in my preceding comment!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 10-14-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Founder's Club Member
    OK, I get the joke.. but I did spell the wrong word CORRECTLY!
    please read "capitol" as "capital" in my preceding comment!
    Yes. Which is what made the humor, and criticism of government possible. If you had spelled it any other way, it wouldn't have worked.

So, actually, we owe you a bit of thanks for setting up the joke for us.

"Heyyyyyyyy! Aaaaaaaaaaaabboooooooooott!"

Centurion
    Yes. Which is what made the humor, and criticism of government possible. If you had spelled it any other way, it wouldn't have worked.

So, actually, we owe you a bit of thanks for setting up the joke for us.

"Heyyyyyyyy! Aaaaaaaaaaaabboooooooooott!"

And we are CONTINUING to suffer the indignity of "CAPITOL" punishment!---- in a great UNCONSTITUTIONAL enlargement and usurpation of power by the Federal Government over the last 100 years that the Founding Fathers never intended or authorized in our Countries Founding Document!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA

Founder's Club Member
    That might make a good T-shirt for dissidents:

"End Capitol Punishment--vote against incumbents."

That might make a good T-shirt for dissidents:

"End Capitol Punishment--vote against incumbents."

I like it!!! We need a t-shirt! Where's Ed?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."