• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who should be prohibited from possessing a firearm?

Who should be prohibited from purchasing a firearm?

• In custody of the state - currently incarcerated or institutionalized

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • In custody of the state - on probation

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • In custody of the state - under supervision

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • In custody of the state - on bail

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • All convicted felons released from custody

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • All violent convicted felons released from custody

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • All those convicted of domestic violence, released from custody

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Anyone addicted to controlled substances

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Anyone addicted to alcohol

• No one - that is, anyone, anywhere, should be able to purchase a firearm

• Total voters

since9

Campaign Veteran
Please note this is in response to Jack House's thread, here. His answers were phrased in such a way as to force mutual exclusivity, rather than being additive, which was, I believe, his intent. Because of the ambiguity, the results of his poll are ambiguous (mostly meaningless).

No offense to Jack, as it's a great idea to poll and he meant well.

With that in mind, I've reworked it to remove the problems and reposted. Choose all that apply.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Tsk, tsk. You forgot the most important group of criminals that should be disarmed--the government.

All weapons should be under the physical control of individual non-government citizens.

I'll take all the Apache helicopters east of the Mississipi. Who wants the F16's? :D

protias

Tsk, tsk. You forgot the most important group of criminals that should be disarmed--the government.

All weapons should be under the physical control of individual non-government citizens.

I'll take all the Apache helicopters east of the Mississipi. Who wants the F16's? :D

I'll take an A-10. :D

Jack House

Please note this is in response to Jack House's thread, here. His answers were phrased in such a way as to force mutual exclusivity, rather than being additive, which was, I believe, his intent. Because of the ambiguity, the results of his poll are ambiguous (mostly meaningless).
The original intent was to create a poll for those that do not believe in background checks, but ultimately changed. Originally the options were intended to be exclusive, but I figured that would require too many options, so I attempted instead for them to be additive. But like I said in the OP, I'm not very good at making polls and the intent morphed so it made it rather difficult. In the end, I wasn't really too interested in the poll results, but more in the written responses.

Aknazer

When you say "In the custody of the state - under supervision" what exactly do you mean? For example, does it include people who are under supervision but haven't been convicted of a crime (such as when watching someone to try and build evidence), or do you mean someone who has been convicted and is on house arrest? Because for me it deals with being convicted and simply serving out that conviction in a place other than prison vs simply having one's rights infringed upon without due process and "under supervision" is ambiguous in regards to if one has had proper due process or not.

I'll vote after you answer what it is supposed to mean.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
The original intent was to create a poll for those that do not believe in background checks, but ultimately changed. Originally the options were intended to be exclusive, but I figured that would require too many options, so I attempted instead for them to be additive. But like I said in the OP, I'm not very good at making polls and the intent morphed so it made it rather difficult. In the end, I wasn't really too interested in the poll results, but more in the written responses.

No worries, Jack. And I had no intentions of stealing your thunder. Between the great responses on your thread and the more accurate poll, here, we should be able to come up with something. Any chance you can put a plug in on your thread for people to review their answers, here?

- since9

Daylen

The Constitution says the first answer and last answer are the only correct answers.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Wow.......

That's a lot of anti-rights votes!

I do believe that access to firearms should be prohibited to current inmates and to non-persons like these two though:

squirrel_with_machine_gun_weapons-s450x330-43676-580.jpg

chucky_sideshow-15-l.jpg

Walt_Kowalski

If you have been released from jail / prison / institution, and you can not still be trusted with a firearm, then WHY were they released in the first place?

You have either served your time, and are free, or you are not.

Daylen

Citation!!

Wow. Some people want a citation for everything...

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I'm not sure how one can interpret "shall not be infringed" as anything but an absolutely protected right.

To any who doubt this interpretation lets look at what the people who wrote it and fought for it think it says:

Patrick Henry: "The great objective is that every man be armed. . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun."

Alexander Hamilton: "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Richard Henry Lee: "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

"The bearing of arms is the essential medium through which the individual asserts both his social power and his participation in politics as a responsible moral being..."-- J.G.A. Pocock, describing the beliefs of the founders of the U.S.

last but MOST certainly not least:

Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. -- Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788, on "militia" in the 2nd Amendment

I have yet to see where there is any indication from the authors of the second amendment that the government should be able to restrict the bearing of arms to only some people. In fact such an idea goes counter to amending the constitution to specifically prevent such an act.

Daylen

If you have been released from jail / prison / institution, and you can not still be trusted with a firearm, then WHY were they released in the first place?

You have either served your time, and are free, or you are not.

There is another option: capital punishment.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Personally, I checked the first nine choices.

Really?

The Constitution says the first answer and last answer are the only correct answers.

Ha, I get the humor, as I'm sure you're aware they're mutually exclusive. By design.

When you say "In the custody of the state - under supervision" what exactly do you mean? For example, does it include people who are under supervision but haven't been convicted of a crime (such as when watching someone to try and build evidence), or do you mean someone who has been convicted and is on house arrest? Because for me it deals with being convicted and simply serving out that conviction in a place other than prison vs simply having one's rights infringed upon without due process and "under supervision" is ambiguous in regards to if one has had proper due process or not.

I'll vote after you answer what it is supposed to mean.

There's four states of custody: incarceration, probation, supervision, and bail. Custody refers to a curtailment of your freedom of liberty. Incarceration occurs only after a conviction. We all know what bail is, but I'll clarify that it's a curtailment enforced by some serious risk of financial loss. Probation occurs as a result of conviction as well, but either after incarceration, in conjunction with it, or in lieu of it.

Therefore, simple deduction leads us to conclude supervision includes all other forms of custody. This would include detainment subsequent to a stop, house arrest, detention of a suspect, and internment.

Hope this helps clarify.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If one who has had the Capitol Punishment executed upon their person is able to pick up and handle a firearm, I will not object!

Some may go right to the "ZOMBIE DRILLS"

I have Capitol punishment visited on me regularly. Congress is constantly afflicting me with numerous laws (or delegating regulatory power to proxie thieves and thugs).

My toilet doesn't flush reliably. I'm gonna haveta drive to Amish country to learn how they light their homes at night because shortly incandescent bulbs will be illegal. (Amish don't have phones, so I can't call them.) The list goes on and on and on.

Sometimes those people in the Capitol don't even bother to read the bills they are going to punish me with.

Yep, Capitol punishment happens all the time in this country.

:D

JoeSparky

Centurion
If one who has had the Capitol Punishment executed upon their person is able to pick up and handle a firearm, I will not object!

Some may go right to the "ZOMBIE DRILLS"

OK, I get the joke.. but I did spell the wrong word CORRECTLY!
please read "capitol" as "capital" in my preceding comment!

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
OK, I get the joke.. but I did spell the wrong word CORRECTLY!
please read "capitol" as "capital" in my preceding comment!

Yes. Which is what made the humor, and criticism of government possible. If you had spelled it any other way, it wouldn't have worked.

So, actually, we owe you a bit of thanks for setting up the joke for us.

"Heyyyyyyyy! Aaaaaaaaaaaabboooooooooott!"

:)

JoeSparky

Centurion
Yes. Which is what made the humor, and criticism of government possible. If you had spelled it any other way, it wouldn't have worked.

So, actually, we owe you a bit of thanks for setting up the joke for us.

"Heyyyyyyyy! Aaaaaaaaaaaabboooooooooott!"

:)

And we are CONTINUING to suffer the indignity of "CAPITOL" punishment!---- in a great UNCONSTITUTIONAL enlargement and usurpation of power by the Federal Government over the last 100 years that the Founding Fathers never intended or authorized in our Countries Founding Document!