• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in ohio, is carrying a loaded handgun in ohio legal for open carry

Daniel M.

Im 19 and have 2 handguns i am wondering if it is legal in the state of ohio to open carry a loaded firearm or not im new to this open carry if it werent for a ccw holder i wouldnt even know that open carry is legal any help would be much appreciated :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Im 19 and have 2 handguns i am wondering if it is legal in the state of ohio to open carry a loaded firearm or not im new to this open carry if it werent for a ccw holder i wouldnt even know that open carry is legal any help would be much appreciated :)

Welcome to OCDO Daniel.

Yep. it's legal.

Careful to not OC in a vehicle though - that won't be legal for you.
http://www.opencarry.org/oh.html

jondjames

although i am new here and came to find out the answer to the same question that you asked and have found out that it is legal to open carry in ohio, i do know that it is ILLEGAL to own a handgun for any person under the age of 21 in the state of ohio. so i wouldnt recommend carrying those pistols on you sir.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

although i am new here and came to find out the answer to the same question that you asked and have found out that it is legal to open carry in ohio, i do know that it is ILLEGAL to own a handgun for any person under the age of 21 in the state of ohio. so i wouldnt recommend carrying those pistols on you sir.

You still have much to learn!!
In Ohio you can OC at 18!!
There must be a legal for an 18yo to have a gun,
probably through a private sale.
you can not buy a pistol through an FFL in any state until you are 21!

JoeSparky

Centurion

Please provide a cite to support "it is ILLEGAL to own a handgun for any person under the age of 21 in the state of ohio."

This would seem to disagree with you.... Looking at 2923.21 the ownership and possession of a firearm by one under 21 is addressed in several sections. A1, A3, A4 all make it illegal to sell or furnish to one UNDER 18 or with the intent to sell/furnish to one UNDER 18. And wow, could the state legislature have made this specific law any more convoluted?

There is/are exceptions to your statement by my read of this law, as convoluted as it is!

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

(4) Sell or furnish a firearm to a person who is eighteen years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the firearm for the purpose of selling the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(5) Sell or furnish a handgun to a person who is twenty-one years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the handgun for the purpose of selling the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(6) Purchase or attempt to purchase any firearm with the intent to sell the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or with the intent to furnish the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(7) Purchase or attempt to purchase any handgun with the intent to sell the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or with the intent to furnish the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age.

(B) Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun to a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly furnishing firearms to a minor, a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 03-31-1997

JoeSparky

Centurion
Yes, I was aware of your bolded portions above. But, the exception is for one employed as a LEO who may LEGALLY purchase so the absolute statement that NO ONE under 21 may purchase a firearm is not true (Agreed that MOST 18-20 years old can not legally buy a firearm).

Not trying to be disagreeable and this is not to be considered as legal advice.

Magickallife

Loaded HandGun Open Carry

Just curious in Ohio as of december 2011...

While Open carrying a loaded handgun, with one in the chamber, Is it legal to anyone that is not a felon and over 21 in ohio???

and can someone post links to the orc on the issue??

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Just curious in Ohio as of december 2011...

While Open carrying a loaded handgun, with one in the chamber, Is it legal to anyone that is not a felon and over 21 in ohio???

and can someone post links to the orc on the issue??

Statutory law typically does not enumerate what is legal - it's purpose is to set forth what is not lawful.

Ohio is like most states - no law forbids open carry of loaded handguns by persons 18 or over on foot. Vehicle open carry requires the license to conceal, like neiboring Pennsylvania.

I do not understand why anyone asks about the legality of chambering of rounds - that's what the chamber is for - to hold a round!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Open carry required in Ohio in governmental buildings, college campuses

Interstingly, open carry is required by Ohio law even of you have the permit to conceal in governmental buildings and college campuses.

Magickallife

I was reading more into detail for my protection to make sure I was not going to violate any laws for open carrying a loaded firearm and I came accross something somewhere that said something about drug related misdemeanors were grounds for not being allowed to legally open carry? Is this true????
I was a young dumb kid once on my 18th Bday and was charged for possession of a joint, of all things, the ticket was paid out of court the very next day. Now more than 10 yrs later its the only thing on my record, does this disqualify me for Openly Carrying? I have no felonies and no other charges not even a speeding ticket.... please inform me im stupid....I would Really like to Openly Carry and excercise this right....however I dont want to be in any trouble for something 10+yrs old and lose my firearm or be incarcerated.....This is for the Cincinnati Ohio Area....

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was reading more into detail for my protection to make sure I was not going to violate any laws for open carrying a loaded firearm and I came accross something somewhere that said something about drug related misdemeanors were grounds for not being allowed to legally open carry? Is this true????
I was a young dumb kid once on my 18th Bday and was charged for possession of a joint, of all things, the ticket was paid out of court the very next day. Now more than 10 yrs later its the only thing on my record, does this disqualify me for Openly Carrying? I have no felonies and no other charges not even a speeding ticket.... please inform me im stupid....I would Really like to Openly Carry and excercise this right....however I dont want to be in any trouble for something 10+yrs old and lose my firearm or be incarcerated.....This is for the Cincinnati Ohio Area....

Suggest contacting an attorney for clarification on this. Also there may be other points of clarification on the law.

[h=1]2006 Ohio Revised Code - 2923.13. Having weapons while under disability.[/h](3) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse...........
http://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2006/orc/jd_292313-9c3b.html

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Suggest contacting an attorney for clarification on this. Also there may be other points of clarification on the law.

2006 Ohio Revised Code - 2923.13. Having weapons while under disability.

(3) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse...........
http://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2006/orc/jd_292313-9c3b.html
Effective September 30, 2011, Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.13 was revised to eliminate the state firearms disability for misdemeanor drug offenses. See HB 54, 129th General Assembly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

2006 Ohio Revised Code - 2923.13. Having weapons while under disability.

(3) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution, or trafficking in any drug of abuse...........
http://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/200...2313-9c3b.html

Effective September 30, 2011, Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.13 was revised to eliminate the state firearms disability for misdemeanor drug offenses. See HB 54, 129th General Assembly.

Appreciate the correction - sorry to have mislead.

Magickallife

so that charge from ten yrs ago since the revision was made, makes me legal to carry openly loaded?so long as i am not breaking any of the afore mentioned rules?? Cincinnati Ohio Area...??

thank you all so very much for not noob bashing on a guy, lol. I greatly urge all citizens to check out opencarry.org for any questions pertaining to openly carrying firearms..Once Again thanks so much, I did talk with an attorney and he advised me that with the Sept.2011 revision I am Legally Entitled to oc, thanks so much

Last edited:

Magickallife

On another note I was Curious on the Ohio laws of Self Identifying, for the sake of being stopped while legally open carrying. In Ohio is this one of the states that you have to give personal information?>?? And the video/audio surveillance of police interactions?

Last edited: