• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is why my cell has a password lock, and why I don't live in CA

Dreamer

The new law, however, wipes away that policy and instead requires officers to obtain a warrant before searching a cell phone or other mobile device. The Peace Officers Research Association of California opposed the law saying, “Restricting the authority of a peace officer to search an arrestee unduly restricts their ability to apply the law, fight crime, discover evidence valuable to an investigation, and protect the citizens of California.”

Let me translate that into language that non-lawyer-types can easily understand:

“Restricting the authority of a peace officer to search anyone they please, for any reason (real or fabricated) gives LEOs more authoritarian power over the people, ensures they will become even more thuggish, and guarantees increased violation of civil rights of the citizens of California. Which is JUST the way we want it to be..."

There, that makes this ruling MUCH easier to understand...

Last edited: