Thread: George Mason Univeristy What to do if you are stopped by GMU police

George Mason Univeristy What to do if you are stopped by GMU police

I thought I would share this .pdf that I saw on George Mason University PD website. The .pdf is about what to do if your are stopped by a police officer.

One sentence states to:

Verbally inform the officer of any weapons which might be present and whether you possess
    a concealed weapons permit.

The last sentence states:

If the officer suspects that you may be armed, the officer is permitted to frisk you to see if any
    weapons are present. This procedure is strictly to ensure the safety of everyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Dust in the eyes!

They say all sorts of things hoping that people will believe what they say and either act on it as if it were true, or at least become uncertain and thus emotionally off-balance. There's clearly no legal basis for that last sentence, which is just flat-out wrong. They can stop you and frisk you for weapons if they have a reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, that they can articulate, to the effect that you were engaged in some criminal activity at the time ("reasonable suspicion"). But not just because they think you may have a weapon.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Thanks "User" that is what I thought, but just thought it would be interesting bathroom material for all to read
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Send them an FOIA Jay.
    Ask for the legal basis for that statement.

FOIA sent to the chief will let you know what the response is