• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

George Mason Univeristy What to do if you are stopped by GMU police

Jay

I thought I would share this .pdf that I saw on George Mason University PD website. The .pdf is about what to do if your are stopped by a police officer.

One sentence states to:

Verbally inform the officer of any weapons which might be present and whether you possess
a concealed weapons permit.

The last sentence states:

If the officer suspects that you may be armed, the officer is permitted to frisk you to see if any
weapons are present. This procedure is strictly to ensure the safety of everyone.

Attachments

• whattodo.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 90

user

Accomplished Advocate
Dust in the eyes!

They say all sorts of things hoping that people will believe what they say and either act on it as if it were true, or at least become uncertain and thus emotionally off-balance. There's clearly no legal basis for that last sentence, which is just flat-out wrong. They can stop you and frisk you for weapons if they have a reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, that they can articulate, to the effect that you were engaged in some criminal activity at the time ("reasonable suspicion"). But not just because they think you may have a weapon.

Jay

Thanks "User" that is what I thought, but just thought it would be interesting bathroom material for all to read :)