• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meeting at work today about weapons...

Cory

I went to our mandatory "yearly" meeting this morning, and they sort of explained the new laws going into effect starting Nov. 1st and told us the companies policy. Here is there policy statement, word for word:

""Company Name" does prohibit the possession of, or to have under a person's control, any dangerous weapon including, but not limited to, firearms, handguns, knives (except for company approved safety knives used in the course of work duties) electric weapons, and explosive devices, within any building or on any property owned, leased, controlled and/or operated by the company (not withstanding the company parking lot). Signs are posted stating such. This provision applies regardless of whether or not the individual is licensed to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Wisconsin Law. Weapons that are carried or stored in vehicles on company property or used during the course of employment must be safely secured in a locked box (such as a glove box, gun case or trunk). Violation of this company work rule policy will result in corrective action up to and including termination"

I have a lot of problems with this statement and I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Fire Away!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Unfortunately, it looks like a pretty standard company weapons policy. It matches almost word for word my company's policy. Your policy specifically exempts the parking lot, which is good. I disagree with this policy wholeheartly but I think it is a legitimate one.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I went to our mandatory "yearly" meeting this morning, and they sort of explained the new laws going into effect starting Nov. 1st and told us the companies policy. Here is there policy statement, word for word:

""Company Name" does prohibit the possession of, or to have under a person's control, any dangerous weapon including, but not limited to, firearms, handguns, knives (except for company approved safety knives used in the course of work duties) electric weapons, and explosive devices, within any building or on any property owned, leased, controlled and/or operated by the company (not withstanding the company parking lot). Signs are posted stating such. This provision applies regardless of whether or not the individual is licensed to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Wisconsin Law. Weapons that are carried or stored in vehicles on company property or used during the course of employment must be safely secured in a locked box (such as a glove box, gun case or trunk). Violation of this company work rule policy will result in corrective action up to and including termination"

I have a lot of problems with this statement and I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Fire Away!

everything they said is legal.

protias

As soon as a criminal watches what goes on in the parking lot, I'm sure there will be a lot of break-ins. Your company needs to review the law on liability issues (175.60(b)(c)).

Badger Johnson

If you have a good work record I'd be surprised if you would be terminated for the violation, and the company officers and treasurer and owner, no doubt have some kind of protection.

You want to abide by the rules but if, for example, you have to go through a very dangerous area on the way in from the parking lot, maybe you could be excused. Maybe talk to HR and ask how serious they are about this - for example do you have to leave your SAK at home? Fingernail file? Sock and roll of quarters? Scary autographed picture of Janet Reno?

Just some babbling and kidding around to lighten your mood.

Trip20

Store your firearms according to state law and don't worry about it.

If you're not the type to flaunt that you carry and you're not overly flamboyant in the parking lot while performing any actions related to your stored firearm then I don't see how the company policy should cause you much concern (other than it being an ignorant policy to begin with).

Cory

Thanks for the replies... the part that confuses me the most is, "must be safely secured in a locked box, such as a glove box, gun case or trunk". If I don't have a concealed carry permit, isn't it illegal for me to put my loaded gun in the glove box? Company policy says nothing about whether the gun is loaded or unloaded, it simply says, it needs to be secured in a locked box. Is my employer telling me that I can only have a gun in my vehicle if I break the law by concealing it?

LaBomba

They're allowing a tiny, tiny bit more than the law requires them to. Your employer could have limited vehicle carry to CC licensees, and included handguns but not long guns. This won't be any comfort, and they probably did it out of ignorance, but it's more than employees at some companies are getting.

LaBomba

Thanks for the replies... the part that confuses me the most is, "must be safely secured in a locked box, such as a glove box, gun case or trunk". If I don't have a concealed carry permit, isn't it illegal for me to put my loaded gun in the glove box? Company policy says nothing about whether the gun is loaded or unloaded, it simply says, it needs to be secured in a locked box. Is my employer telling me that I can only have a gun in my vehicle if I break the law by concealing it?

It's your job to determine what the law requires you to do based on your license status. I wouldn't bring it up if I were you. They'll figure out that the law doesn't force them to allow vehicle carry for people who don't have CC licenses, and the vehicle exemption will get narrowed to exclude people who open carry only.

Cory

I guess you're right, they could have done worse things and I should be grateful that they didn't make it any more strict than that... still don't like it though. Stupid work. The owner of my company is actually a gun enthusiast and from what I've heard, he doesn't really like the restrictions either, but he must think it's necessary... it's mostly an H.R. thing. Stupid H.R.

Cory

If you have a good work record I'd be surprised if you would be terminated for the violation, and the company officers and treasurer and owner, no doubt have some kind of protection.

You want to abide by the rules but if, for example, you have to go through a very dangerous area on the way in from the parking lot, maybe you could be excused. Maybe talk to HR and ask how serious they are about this - for example do you have to leave your SAK at home? Fingernail file? Sock and roll of quarters? Scary autographed picture of Janet Reno?

Just some babbling and kidding around to lighten your mood.

LOL... Janet Reno... Too funny. Thanks for the mood lightening!

Interceptor_Knight

All State Statutes apply. Their policy covers both licensees and non-licensees. They are allowing non-licensees to store a handgun in the trunk which goes beyond what State Statute protects. State Statute allows them to ban handguns even encased in the trunk if you are not a licensee. If you are a licensee who may lawfully conceal a handgun, your company is allowing you to simply take your loaded handgun out of your holster and lock it in your glovebox, etc. State law allows you to drive into your employer's parking lot and then at that time take the firearm out of its holster and store it within your vehicle. If you take a single step outside of your vehicle including the act of placing the handgun in the trunk, you are no longer protected by State Statute and your employer is free to terminate you for violating company policy.

LaBomba

I guess you're right, they could have done worse things and I should be grateful that they didn't make it any more strict than that... still don't like it though. Stupid work. The owner of my company is actually a gun enthusiast and from what I've heard, he doesn't really like the restrictions either, but he must think it's necessary... it's mostly an H.R. thing. Stupid H.R.

I hear you! And you don't owe any "gratitude" when it comes to a right.

bmwguy11

everything they said is legal.

They can't require that the gun be placed in a locked box when stored in a vehicle on their property far as I know. They can't tell you what to do with your property in your own vehicle.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

They can't require that the gun be placed in a locked box when stored in a vehicle on their property far as I know. They can't tell you what to do with your property in your own vehicle.

Since the Statute explicitly prohibits them from banning carry in your vehicle, they can't require it to be in a box at all. Regardless, it is wise to store it out of the reach of smash and grab thieves while you are inside the building.

Interceptor_Knight

Do you have the actual text of this rule? Is this a union facility? The reason I ask is that it would make it much easier for an official dialogue to open on this subject without anyone's job being at risk.

MKEgal

"Company Name" does prohibit
Cory said:
The owner of my company is actually a gun enthusiast and from what I've heard, he doesn't really like the restrictions either, but he must think it's necessary... it's mostly an H.R. thing. Stupid H.R.
I wonder if HR read the part in the new law about losing immunity from liability...
And if the owner would be interested to know about it?
And if their insurance company would be interested to know about it?

If you'd like him to get a letter from a person whose job isn't at risk, PM me the company & owner name, & address.
Or his direct email would be good... can't be diverted by flunkies.

Weapons that are carried or stored in vehicles on company property or used during the course of employment must be safely secured in a locked box...
bmwguy11 said:
This.
Yes, it's a Darn Good Idea, & you're a fool if you don't, but they can't require it.