• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First open carry experience!

singhcr

Last Friday I was in Castle Rock going small game hunting. My Sig P6 that I bought used came with the police issue holster and I just felt like today was the day to try openly carrying my firearm. With the right belt, it isn't that cumbersome to carry, I found. Two chipmunks later I drove back to Apple Valley which goes through Rosemount. Again, I had a feeling that I wanted to OC somewhere so I stopped by the Rosemount McDonald's. I sat in my car for a while, debating whether I had the guts to do this or not. I'm not normally a person who's intimidated into doing or not doing something, but I said "screw it" and went in anyway. I was really nervous, but the staff either didn't notice or didn't care, because the young girl taking my order was very cheerful and polite. I think the guy waiting in line next to me on my right side may have noticed, but he didn't say anything. I don't know why I was nervous because I was well within my legal rights to carry openly (and I didn't get nervous at all when I carry concealed as I have been doing for the last few months now that I have my PTC) and my firearm was safely secured and the trigger was covered. Maybe it's just social engineering that programs people to be uncomfortable when they are breaking social norms?

In short I got to spend time in the great outdoors and exercise my God-given rights as an American. It was very liberating and very fun to do this, even if I was nervous as heck. I think next time it won't be quite as scary!

Kevin150

Good Job

I know how you feel. Have open carried once in lakeville. Do you open carry at all in Apple Valley? I had a few conversations with the Chief of Police through email. He didn't at all seemed bothered by Conceal Carry. Nor did he say he was totally against open carry but did say that it would raise some attention and advised to just conceal. Seemed to be a good guy.

robdoar

I know how you feel. Have open carried once in lakeville. Do you open carry at all in Apple Valley? I had a few conversations with the Chief of Police through email. He didn't at all seemed bothered by Conceal Carry. Nor did he say he was totally against open carry but did say that it would raise some attention and advised to just conceal. Seemed to be a good guy.

Many MN law enforcement don't want people carrying at all.

Only exercising "police approved" rights is a scary proposition.

robdoar

Who said I was only exercising Police Approved Rights? I had a conversation. We used to fight fires together.

You message implied that the Chief does not want people open carrying.... My comment is a refection of that sentiment.l

Last edited:

singhcr

I haven't openly carried in Apple Valley yet. I guess when I'm in the mood I'll do so. For now I just carry concealed.

MilProGuy

It was very liberating and very fun to do this, even if I was nervous as heck. I think next time it won't be quite as scary!

I'm certain that is must have been a very liberating experience for you.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

singhcr

This weekend I took two of my college buddies out to the Hugo range. They are from Canada and India respectively, so I figured I'd exercise as many aspects of the 2A as I could, so I open carried the entire day. We got ammo from the Eagan Wal-Mart and walked across the street to the local McDonald's for lunch. I think my holster is rather obvious and I'm sure somebody noticed, but thankfully nobody seemed to care. This time around I was perfectly calm, and forgot that I was openly carrying after a while. This is getting fun! I may have to join you guys at the Gopher Bar this weekend.

hermannr

singhcr: from someone that has OC'd for over 40 years:

If you completely forget you are carrying, you have arrived. Yes, you need to know you are carrying when the need arrives, but while you are out and about, you need to forget about it being there, or at least act like you don't care. Stay situationally aware, but forget your carry, and everyone else will also forget it. The confidence shows, the reactions go to: oh, he must be a cop, or at a minimum someone who is supposed to be carrying,

A good retention holster (a police issue holster will always have some kind of retention) makes it easy to forget it's there and not lose it.

Nervous Nelly will always generat a call to the cops eventually. They are not worried about your carry, they are worried as to why you are so nervous which generally an indication of a bad conscience.

singhcr

Today was an interesting day for me. I went grocery shopping at the local Cub Foods and decided to OC this time. I asked many of the employees for help with finding certain items and nobody seemed to bat an eye. I had lunch at Arby's without incident as well. I was a little nervous, but as hermannr said, if you act like you don't care, people around you most likely won't care either. I don't think I'll OC on a daily basis as my Ruger LCP is very easy to carry compared to my Sig P6, but it's nice to openly exercise the good old 2A from time to time. :)

Last edited: