• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Calls Out DOJ

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Once again a reason to be a NRA member. Hope other national organizations with Wisconsin members will also contact the DOJ.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

"One 'Aww shoot!' wipes out a thousand 'Atta boys'." For EVER.

HandyHamlet

I wonder why there hasn't been the usual bashing of the NRA??

I WAS an NRA member until the late mid/late 90s. Until their propaganda machine became so fanatical I was embarrassed for the entire organization. Around then I also became a true believer in the power of grass roots movements. And I no longer shared the same goals as the NRA...

However, having seen Darren La Sorte in action and personally hear him say at the hearings that the NRA was wrong softened my opinion. This letter I think is the tipping point for me. I have been reconsidering my membership for a while.

The enemy of my enemy is my second cousin twice removed on my sister's inbred ex-husband's side.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I WAS an NRA member until the late mid/late 90s. Until their propaganda machine became so fanatical I was embarrassed for the entire organization. Around then I also became a true believer in the power of grass roots movements. And I no longer shared the same goals as the NRA...

However, having seen Darren La Sorte in action and personally hear him say at the hearings that the NRA was wrong softened my opinion. This letter I think is the tipping point for me. I have been reconsidering my membership for a while.

The enemy of my enemy is my second cousin twice removed on my sister's inbred ex-husband's side.

LOL. You got me with that last line!

I agree with you 100%. The NRA allowed bad things to happen and even supported and endorsed disarming American Vets. The NRA I believe learned a hard lesson from that ignorance. I believe Wisconsin Carry is the premier gun rights organization for Wisconsin and has the track record to prove it. I also believe we (gun owners) need as much support as we can get and afford such as joining Gun Owners Of America, J.P.F.O., Second Amendment Foundation and several others.

In 1998 a shipmate of mine said to me: "Five years from now Americans will not be able to legally own firearms." My response was: "You have little faith in Americans. We will never surrender our gun rights."

We can only continue this fight as a cohesive group as large as we can be. The bigger the Gorilla, the better.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

HandyHamlet

Yes Sir, we are well aware of the rules, thank you.

;)

I just renewed ( new membership actually since they couldn't find the old one ) my NRA membership for 5 years. I did it for the free hat.

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
Thanks much for posting this oak1971. Only four letter words can describe the kind of day I had today and this letter is great to read. I do wish the NRA would have taken the DOJ to task for failing to produce the goods on the timeline specified in Act 35. It would have been a very simple and worthy add-on to the letter they sent. Speaking only rhetorically one has to wonder why that didn't hit their radar...

oak1971

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Who's bashing?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Inter-office memo

When I have a spare moment.....

Ask me about my manager's meeting and the discussion that occurred with the
legal eagles regarding concealed carry. Relatively comical and it was kind
of fun when they noted (without prompting) that posting no weapon's allowed
signs actually INCREASES the liability of the property owner.

Good Stuff....

Robert

jpm84092

4-Hour Training Rule

175.60(2)(b) is not violated by requiring face-to-face training or specific information from being present on a "proof of training" certificate.

Mr. Knight has a valid point with respect to his first point. There are many States that require face-to-face training (UT is one of them). This gives the Instructor a chance to identify any "poor candidates" - those who have a poor attitude toward firearms safety and responsible ownership. This requirement also facilitates one-on-one hands-on training for the firearms naive. Those who have taken my courses have watched me take students who do not have a history of firearms ownership and skills aside and provide one-on-one instruction in safe loading and unloading of semi-automatic pistols and revolvers - (particularly those who have elected not to take the range portion of my courses - UT does not require live fire - but I offer it). Having said that, the 4-hour class rule does seem to conflict with the legistlative intent of SB-93 as amended. Thus, the angry face in my title post.

However, I disagree with Mr. Knight on his assertion that WI has a legitimate right to know where the training occurred. If I still lived in WI, my UT, AZ, PA, FL, or NV permits would be proof of training, but no requirement exists to know where that training occurred, since those permits can be valid - or expired per the law. Even more so, my NRA Certifications as a Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, and Personal Protection Instructor would more than satisfy the legislative intent of SB-93 as amended, but my NRA Certs DO NOT specify where I received and successfully completed my Instructor training or where I successfully completed my shooting qualification(s). Did PA, FL, or AZ accept my NRA Instructor Certs, or did they accept one of my other permits as proof of training - only God knows, and HE is not going to tell the WI DOJ. WI will accept the UT permit as proof of training per "Black Letter Law", but there is no way to know if the WI resident took his/her training in WI or any of the other 49 states.

M

McX

when JPM's got your back, you have to ask all others; Who's your daddy?

Interceptor_Knight

...However, I disagree with Mr. Knight on his assertion that WI has a legitimate right to know where the training occurred. .....

I never stated that knowing "where" it occurred is even suggested as a requirement. I only stated "face-to-face" as being a proposed requirement. Other "specific information" has nothing to do with where the training was conducted.

LaBomba

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statep...entation-of-concealedcarry-law-131174088.html

"Steve Means, executive assistant to Van Hollen, said the agency believes requiring a minimum of four hours of training is appropriate, and that the agency's proposed rules would include that requirement.

The department also intends to offer rules that would require training certificates to include signatures of trainers and the date and location of training, Means said. That will help prevent fraudulent certificates, he said."​