Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie in DC

Help a newbie in DC

Hey everyone,

Emily Miller, a reporter for the Washington Examiner Times who lives in DC, is starting a series about purchasing a firearm as a DC resident:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...y-gets-her-gun

Some of you in the NoVA area might consider reaching out to her and helping her with the rental range/handgun selection process; she's totally new the the whole concept and could use some good advice.
    Last edited by kparker; 10-05-2011 at 03:23 PM.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I sent her a message via facebook and would be happy to help her in any way that I can.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I am sure a lot of guys will help her she is cute
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

This has the makings for a very long series of very frustrating articles... Just today's Twitter feeds alone are quite foreboding...

TFred

Just today's Twitter feeds alone are quite foreboding...
    Yes. But a little sunshine on the process can't hurt.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kparker View Post
    Yes. But a little sunshine on the process can't hurt.
    I more than agree with this - have long felt that any media exposure was a benefit to us.

The anti self defense publicists have played every card in their hand over and over so often as to provoke only yawns from the general public. Their message is recognized as false, misleading, full of lies and distortions.

When there are concentrated sustained attacks on the RKBA, the citizenry responds by buying more guns not less and by becoming more involved. So to that degree, the anti rants are good for us, very good.

We just need to be consistent, present our facts in an orderly fashion and maintain a responsible attitude.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

If she can take her experience, and from it produce a logical and fairly concise set of step-by-step instructions, the service to the residents of DC would be invaluable.

From what she's written so far (granted, part of it is due to her inexperience), it appears that even the process is intentionally so convoluted as to discourage the mere attempt.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I sent her a message via facebook and would be happy to help her in any way that I can.
    As did I. A bunch of us Divas are meeting up at the Chantilly Show this Saturday, and I offered to let her come along so she could see/hold a variety of guns to get a feel for what fits. It's a start, at least.
    Last edited by Riana; 10-05-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    As did I. A bunch of us Divas are meeting up at the Chantilly Show this Saturday, and I offered to let her come along so she could see/hold a variety of guns to get a feel for what fits. It's a start, at least.
    Take her to the range! Please, please!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    Excellent!

I'll be up there this weekend teaching our Basic Firearms Safety class next door at the Holiday Inn. I'll be swinging by the gun show on Friday evening to drop off flyers for the Shoot for the Cure event, and of course getting some beef jerky!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    it appears that even the process is intentionally so convoluted as to discourage the mere attempt.
    Wow, where did you learn to be so cynical??? ;-)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Well you can bet you'd never see a series like this in that quaint little local newspaper, The Washington ComPost. Trust the Times to run with this one.

Now all she really needs to do is move to Virginia where a lot more sanity reigns.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Emily Miller is scheduled to be on the Cam Miller show at 9:40 tonight (a bit less than 20 minutes from now).

http://www.nranews.com/#/nranews

TFred

Anyone Twitter? Emily Miller is twitting about Open Carry... Someone needs to point her to OCDO.

http://twitter.com/#!/EmilyMiller

TFred

Anyone Twitter? Emily Miller is twitting about Open Carry... Someone needs to point her to OCDO.

http://twitter.com/#!/EmilyMiller

TFred
    Done!!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

If she works for the Washington Times, does she get an employee discount on a Kahr?

Emily Miller interview on NRA News:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTGrogkU-NY

TFred

I realize how expensive a city D.C. is, but $125 for a transfer fee? Dayummmm....

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    I realize how expensive a city D.C. is, but $125 for a transfer fee? Dayummmm....
    That was my thought at first too, but as Miss Miller pointed out in the article about her interview with him, it's only a part-time job for him, and DC makes the process so onerous that very few people actually buy guns legally. He's not doing it for the money.

TFred

An FFL who charges $125 for a transfer and says he isn't doing it for the money is either a lousy accountant or a liar...

NICS checks don't cost dealers a penny--they are COMPLETELY funded by the FBIs budget mandate.

If there are additional fees for local checks, that needs to be itemized.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    An FFL who charges $125 for a transfer and says he isn't doing it for the money is either a lousy accountant or a liar...

NICS checks don't cost dealers a penny--they are COMPLETELY funded by the FBIs budget mandate.

If there are additional fees for local checks, that needs to be itemized.
    How good is your math? How much money do you make? (That is a rhetorical question, please don't think I want you to actually answer it.)

Let's do some math.

How many transfers would you have to do per day in order to pay for the overhead costs of running a small business office in DC (it is unknown how much rent the DCPD is charging him), maintaining all the proper business licenses, taxes, insurance, benefits (health care, retirement savings, etc.) and pay yourself a living wage?

Let's assume you want to gross $50,000 per year for income (this is peanuts in DC!). Let's conservatively add a 50% overhead for the business, rent, taxes and expenses. You'd need to take in $75,000 per year, gross revenue.

That works out to:

$1,500 per week (if you take two weeks off for vacation each year.)
    $300 per day.
    At $125 each, that's an average of 2.4 handguns per day.

According to a February 2011 Washington Post article, only "more than 1,400" guns were registered from "July 2008 to the end of 2010."

Let's assign that a round number of 1,450 guns over 2.5 years, or 125 work-weeks: 11.6 guns per week, or 2.32 per day.

So... it looks as though the sole FFL in DC, may indeed be barely scraping out a living on this. I'd say his future looks bright, as long as the legal pressure stays on DC to relax their onerous process, and he remains the only FFL in town. He's not exactly living large on it though. If he's got a family, I'm guessing they both work other jobs, or they eat a lot of Raman noodles!

TFred

Thank you Professor!

I think he is charging a fair price. The unfair aspect is that he is the only one able to do transfers.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

So... it looks as though the sole FFL in DC, may indeed be barely scraping out a living on this. I'd say his future looks bright, as long as the legal pressure stays on DC to relax their onerous process, and he remains the only FFL in town. He's not exactly living large on it though. If he's got a family, I'm guessing they both work other jobs, or they eat a lot of Raman noodles!
    First off let's get the story straight. Mr. Sykes is NOT the only FFL in DC that does transfers. He is the only FFL who has agreed to do transfers for CITIZENS. There are at least three other FFLs in DC, but they ONLY do business with corporations, the military, and various LEAs.

Second, Mr Syke's business i NOT limited ONLY to sales to individuals--he ALSO does transfers and sales for LEAs and security companies. The transfers he does for individual citizens are a TINY fraction of his business, and the REAL reason he charges $125 is as an "annoyance fee"--just like ANY business owner who doesn't REALLY want to be bothered with trifling, small, low-margin sales, but is too greedy to pass up a single sale.

Essentially, he'd rather make a few bucks on annoying low-volume individual sales, than pass them up, so he makes it "worth his time" by ass-raping citizens on the fees--I've done the same thing as a freelance graphic designer with clients who I didn't really want to work with, but who I knew had deep pockets...

If Mr. Sykes was genuinely interested in offering his service to the People of DC for 1) Contitutional reasons, and 2) because he REALLY wanted to be in the individual sales business, then he would charge $20 for transfers, and people would be lined up around the block for his services.

He's in it for the money, and not even really for that...

Plus, "TFred", you are working under the assumption that Mr. Sykes ONLY makes profit on his transfer fees, and does not realize any income from the actual sale of firearms. And he's doing an awful lot of those for LEAs and security companies...

A $`25 transfer fee is egregious, serves only to discourage people making purchases, and is short-sited on Mr. Sykes' part. If he charged $20 each, he would do a LOT more, and see more overall profit int he long run. Like the vanity plates in VA--they are super-cheap and they make MILLIONS on them--whereas, vanity plates in MD and DC are much more expensive, and those locations don't see nearly as much profit from their programs--DESPITE the fact that they charge more per unit...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast