• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help a newbie in DC

kparker

Hey everyone,

Emily Miller, a reporter for the Washington [Strike]Examiner[/Strike] Times who lives in DC, is starting a series about purchasing a firearm as a DC resident:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/5/miller-emily-gets-her-gun

Some of you in the NoVA area might consider reaching out to her and helping her with the rental range/handgun selection process; she's totally new the the whole concept and could use some good advice.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes. But a little sunshine on the process can't hurt.

I more than agree with this - have long felt that any media exposure was a benefit to us.

The anti self defense publicists have played every card in their hand over and over so often as to provoke only yawns from the general public. Their message is recognized as false, misleading, full of lies and distortions.

When there are concentrated sustained attacks on the RKBA, the citizenry responds by buying more guns not less and by becoming more involved. So to that degree, the anti rants are good for us, very good.

We just need to be consistent, present our facts in an orderly fashion and maintain a responsible attitude.

TFred

If she can take her experience, and from it produce a logical and fairly concise set of step-by-step instructions, the service to the residents of DC would be invaluable.

From what she's written so far (granted, part of it is due to her inexperience), it appears that even the process is intentionally so convoluted as to discourage the mere attempt.

TFred

Riana

I sent her a message via facebook and would be happy to help her in any way that I can.

As did I. A bunch of us Divas are meeting up at the Chantilly Show this Saturday, and I offered to let her come along so she could see/hold a variety of guns to get a feel for what fits. It's a start, at least.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As did I. A bunch of us Divas are meeting up at the Chantilly Show this Saturday, and I offered to let her come along so she could see/hold a variety of guns to get a feel for what fits. It's a start, at least.

Take her to the range! Please, please!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Excellent!

I'll be up there this weekend teaching our Basic Firearms Safety class next door at the Holiday Inn. I'll be swinging by the gun show on Friday evening to drop off flyers for the Shoot for the Cure event, and of course getting some beef jerky!