• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help a newbie in DC

TFred

I realize how expensive a city D.C. is, but $125 for a transfer fee? Dayummmm....
That was my thought at first too, but as Miss Miller pointed out in the article about her interview with him, it's only a part-time job for him, and DC makes the process so onerous that very few people actually buy guns legally. He's not doing it for the money.

TFred

Dreamer

An FFL who charges $125 for a transfer and says he isn't doing it for the money is either a lousy accountant or a liar...

NICS checks don't cost dealers a penny--they are COMPLETELY funded by the FBIs budget mandate.

If there are additional fees for local checks, that needs to be itemized.

TFred

An FFL who charges $125 for a transfer and says he isn't doing it for the money is either a lousy accountant or a liar...

NICS checks don't cost dealers a penny--they are COMPLETELY funded by the FBIs budget mandate.

If there are additional fees for local checks, that needs to be itemized.
How good is your math? How much money do you make? (That is a rhetorical question, please don't think I want you to actually answer it.)

Let's do some math.

How many transfers would you have to do per day in order to pay for the overhead costs of running a small business office in DC (it is unknown how much rent the DCPD is charging him), maintaining all the proper business licenses, taxes, insurance, benefits (health care, retirement savings, etc.) and pay yourself a living wage?

Let's assume you want to gross $50,000 per year for income (this is peanuts in DC!). Let's conservatively add a 50% overhead for the business, rent, taxes and expenses. You'd need to take in $75,000 per year, gross revenue.

That works out to:

$1,500 per week (if you take two weeks off for vacation each year.)
$300 per day.
At $125 each, that's an average of 2.4 handguns per day.

According to a February 2011 Washington Post article, only "more than 1,400" guns were registered from "July 2008 to the end of 2010."

Let's assign that a round number of 1,450 guns over 2.5 years, or 125 work-weeks: 11.6 guns per week, or 2.32 per day.

So... it looks as though the sole FFL in DC, may indeed be barely scraping out a living on this. I'd say his future looks bright, as long as the legal pressure stays on DC to relax their onerous process, and he remains the only FFL in town. He's not exactly living large on it though. If he's got a family, I'm guessing they both work other jobs, or they eat a lot of Raman noodles!

TFred

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thank you Professor!

I think he is charging a fair price. The unfair aspect is that he is the only one able to do transfers.

Dreamer

So... it looks as though the sole FFL in DC, may indeed be barely scraping out a living on this. I'd say his future looks bright, as long as the legal pressure stays on DC to relax their onerous process, and he remains the only FFL in town. He's not exactly living large on it though. If he's got a family, I'm guessing they both work other jobs, or they eat a lot of Raman noodles!

First off let's get the story straight. Mr. Sykes is NOT the only FFL in DC that does transfers. He is the only FFL who has agreed to do transfers for CITIZENS. There are at least three other FFLs in DC, but they ONLY do business with corporations, the military, and various LEAs.

Second, Mr Syke's business i NOT limited ONLY to sales to individuals--he ALSO does transfers and sales for LEAs and security companies. The transfers he does for individual citizens are a TINY fraction of his business, and the REAL reason he charges $125 is as an "annoyance fee"--just like ANY business owner who doesn't REALLY want to be bothered with trifling, small, low-margin sales, but is too greedy to pass up a single sale.

Essentially, he'd rather make a few bucks on annoying low-volume individual sales, than pass them up, so he makes it "worth his time" by ass-raping citizens on the fees--I've done the same thing as a freelance graphic designer with clients who I didn't really want to work with, but who I knew had deep pockets...

If Mr. Sykes was genuinely interested in offering his service to the People of DC for 1) Contitutional reasons, and 2) because he REALLY wanted to be in the individual sales business, then he would charge $20 for transfers, and people would be lined up around the block for his services.

He's in it for the money, and not even really for that...

Plus, "TFred", you are working under the assumption that Mr. Sykes ONLY makes profit on his transfer fees, and does not realize any income from the actual sale of firearms. And he's doing an awful lot of those for LEAs and security companies...

A $`25 transfer fee is egregious, serves only to discourage people making purchases, and is short-sited on Mr. Sykes' part. If he charged $20 each, he would do a LOT more, and see more overall profit int he long run. Like the vanity plates in VA--they are super-cheap and they make MILLIONS on them--whereas, vanity plates in MD and DC are much more expensive, and those locations don't see nearly as much profit from their programs--DESPITE the fact that they charge more per unit...

TFred

First off let's get the story straight. Mr. Sykes is NOT the only FFL in DC that does transfers. He is the only FFL who has agreed to do transfers for CITIZENS. There are at least three other FFLs in DC, but they ONLY do business with corporations, the military, and various LEAs.

Second, Mr Syke's business i NOT limited ONLY to sales to individuals--he ALSO does transfers and sales for LEAs and security companies. The transfers he does for individual citizens are a TINY fraction of his business, and the REAL reason he charges $125 is as an "annoyance fee"--just like ANY business owner who doesn't REALLY want to be bothered with trifling, small, low-margin sales, but is too greedy to pass up a single sale.

Essentially, he'd rather make a few bucks on annoying low-volume individual sales, than pass them up, so he makes it "worth his time" by ass-raping citizens on the fees--I've done the same thing as a freelance graphic designer with clients who I didn't really want to work with, but who I knew had deep pockets...

If Mr. Sykes was genuinely interested in offering his service to the People of DC for 1) Contitutional reasons, and 2) because he REALLY wanted to be in the individual sales business, then he would charge $20 for transfers, and people would be lined up around the block for his services.

He's in it for the money, and not even really for that...

Plus, "TFred", you are working under the assumption that Mr. Sykes ONLY makes profit on his transfer fees, and does not realize any income from the actual sale of firearms. And he's doing an awful lot of those for LEAs and security companies...

A $`25 transfer fee is egregious, serves only to discourage people making purchases, and is short-sited on Mr. Sykes' part. If he charged $20 each, he would do a LOT more, and see more overall profit int he long run. Like the vanity plates in VA--they are super-cheap and they make MILLIONS on them--whereas, vanity plates in MD and DC are much more expensive, and those locations don't see nearly as much profit from their programs--DESPITE the fact that they charge more per unit...
These things would certainly make for a more interesting story. How do you know they are true?

TFred

Dreamer

These things would certainly make for a more interesting story. How do you know they are true?

TFred

Is IS a very interesting story, and ANYONE who has lived in the DC metro area knows these things to be true. During the Handgun Ban, Mr. Sykes was STILL an active FFL in DC--he has been since 1994. He used to ONLY sell to LEAs and security firms...

Perhaps you should follow Emily Miller's story in the Washington Times about the trials and tribulations of becoming a legal handgun owner in DC, where she discusses some of Mr. Sykes history, and the egregiously circuitous and intentionally difficult to navigate process they have set up in The District, Post-Heller:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/5/miller-emily-gets-her-gun/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/11/miller-dcs-only-gun-source/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/14/miller-steps-gun-ownership-dc/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/17/miller-whos-eligible-gun-dc/