• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to sell a long gun in Oklahoma

chewy352

I just moved here from California last month and need to sell my rifle. Being from CA where we have more gun laws than the largest law firms can sort out I am a bit overly cautious.

I have been told that here in OK we can sell guns with nothing more than a bill of sale and not to anyone we know or suspect may be prohibited from owning a firearm.

Can someone please explain the best way to legally sell my rifle here. Citations for applicable laws are appreciated. The gun show will be in OKC this weekend but I have to work all weekend, I was wondering if there was a way my wife could take it there and find a buyer.

Thanks in advance for the help and I will be looking to get involved with promoting open carry in OK as soon as my home life gets in order.

Last edited:

KBCraig

First, welcome to (relatively) free(r) America.

Here's what you want:

§21-1289.12. Giving firearms to convicted persons.

GIVING FIREARMS TO CONVICTED PERSONS
It shall be unlawful for any person within this state to knowingly sell, trade, give, transmit or otherwise cause the transfer of rifles, shotguns or pistols to any convicted felon or an adjudicated delinquent, and it shall be unlawful for any person within this state to knowingly sell, trade, give, transmit or otherwise cause the transfer of any shotgun, rifle or pistol to any individual who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs or is mentally or emotionally unbalanced or disturbed.

Other than that, cash and carry, handshake and a smile. If you want a bill of sale, or to see ID, that's up to you; the seller can impose any restrictions he wants. If it feels hinky, walk away. But, no one needs permission from the government to buy or sell a gun out here in the rest of America, and no one is going to track who owns what.

Trent91

Yep, it's as easy as posting it on http://www.armslist.com/, waiting for potential buyers to contact you, meeting the person, making the transaction, shaking hands, and parting ways. Easy as pie. When I set up a transaction I always write up two copys of a bill of sale that includes the serial number of the weapon, what was sold/traded and for what/how much, the date, and the signitures of both partys. Just for legal protection should the person go off and kill someone with the gun. Then when the feds come knocking at your door after tracing the gun to you, you can just produce the bill of sale.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Just a note about bills of sale... most people don't use them, and some would be downright offended if you wanted ID, no matter how legal they are.

If that's a condition of any sale you make, be sure to included that in your ad, or at the very least at your first reply to any responses. People who don't want unrequired paperwork are understandably miffed when they've put time and effort into a deal, only to have a new condition sprung on them when it comes time to make the actual transaction.

Trent91

Just a note about bills of sale... most people don't use them, and some would be downright offended if you wanted ID, no matter how legal they are.

If that's a condition of any sale you make, be sure to included that in your ad, or at the very least at your first reply to any responses. People who don't want unrequired paperwork are understandably miffed when they've put time and effort into a deal, only to have a new condition sprung on them when it comes time to make the actual transaction.

That's true. I always let them know it's nothing against them, just protection for both partys.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I don't know the law that backs this up, but any time I've bought a firearm from an individual, I've been asked to prove that I am over 18 or 21 or something. I don't remember...since I'm 42 it seems rather silly.

I'd want to know that I wasn't selling one of my weapons to anyone who was prohibited from buying it. However, I've never ever sold a weapon. I don't see the point...

Trent91

I don't know the law that backs this up, but any time I've bought a firearm from an individual, I've been asked to prove that I am over 18 or 21 or something. I don't remember...since I'm 42 it seems rather silly.

I'd want to know that I wasn't selling one of my weapons to anyone who was prohibited from buying it. However, I've never ever sold a weapon. I don't see the point...

It is unlawful in the state of Oklahoma to sell a firearm to a minor, so by making sure you are over the age of 18 they are only protecting themselves. I always ask to see an I.D. when I sell a firearm so that I know that they are who they say they are, and that they are definitely of age.

I'm but a poor college student, so when I want to get a new gun I sell my old one. That is usualy why I sell.