Thread: Wisconsin Carry, Inc. reaches settlement in GFZA lawsuit against City of Milwaukee

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. reaches settlement in GFZA lawsuit against City of Milwaukee

A victory for gun rights! The City of Milwaukee will have to pay $6,500 for their wrongful arrest of David Bernson and wrongfully charging him under the provisions of the Wisconsin Gun Free School Zone Act. I do wish the award would have been a dollar figure that would actually deter municipalities from engaging in the wrongful arrest of individuals exercising their 2A rights. Here is a link: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/GF...1-10-12-04.pdf
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Congratulations!!!!!!!! A good win for Wisconsin gun owners!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Glad to see things straightened out. I hope this kind of stuff never happens again.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by scm54449 View Post
    A victory for gun rights! The City of Milwaukee will have to pay $6,500 for their wrongful arrest of David Bernson and wrongfully charging him under the provisions of the Wisconsin Gun Free School Zone Act. I do wish the award would have been a dollar figure that would actually deter municipalities from engaging in the wrongful arrest of individuals exercising their 2A rights. Here is a link: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/GF...1-10-12-04.pdf
    Chief knobby is next!

What was the story? I hadn't heard about this incident until now.

Lightbulb It Is Part Of A Larger Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by bmwguy11 View Post
    What was the story? I hadn't heard about this incident until now.
    Link to court case: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/GF...mplaint_A2.pdf

It is very disturbing what the police officer did to Mr. Bernson. Very disturbing. Until "Qualified Immunity" is removed from the police officer training manual these events will go on or maybe they won't?
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    ... or maybe they won't?

Unfortunately... Take cameras. More citizens are filming the police every day and every day there are more videos of police assaulting citizens with cameras. Not less.

Apply this to the Second Amendment and make sure your WCInc membership is current.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 10-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Link to court case: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/GF...mplaint_A2.pdf

It is very disturbing what the police officer did to Mr. Bernson. Very disturbing. Until "Qualified Immunity" is removed from the police officer training manual these events will go on or maybe they won't?
    By arresting Bernson within his home, or within the curtilage of his home,
    without a warrant and without probable cause, Kezeske violated Bernson’s 14th
    Amendment rights to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.

I wonder if this has been amended to say the "4th amendment"?
    the 14th is referred to every time an amendment is referred to.
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 10-07-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Question The 14th Amendment Is Correct.....Interesting Isn't It?

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    By arresting Bernson within his home, or within the curtilage of his home,
    without a warrant and without probable cause, Kezeske violated Bernson’s 14th
    Amendment rights to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures.

I wonder if this has been amended to say the "4th amendment"?
    the 14th is referred to every time an amendment is referred to.
    I thought the same thing when we first filed this lawsuit and asked the same question(s) way back when. There is another thread somewhere (IIRC) that goes into detail about the 14th amendment violation instead of the 4th. It's too early in the morning for me to think clearly about "why" it is the 14th instead of the 4th.

I think someone will come along and post clearly why it is the 14th. Either way what the police did in Mr. Bernson's case is very disturbing. This is the kind of thing that happened with the Gestapo in Nazi Germany.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

well,,,

funny thing, when i saw 14th, I wondered, so i looked it up, And I Read the 24th! silly roman numerals.
    well, after your post, even I remembered the 4th V. 14th discussion, but none of the details, so i looked it up again, Better!

I see why the 14th, privilege or immunities clause, Life liberty or property, equal protection and due process clause is a good fit for the complaint!

Now I feel smarter, but just barely.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

It is the 14th Amendment because the 14th has been used to make most of the Bill of Rights applicable to the states, and not just to the federal government. A key phrase from the 14th "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens..."
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    It is the 14th Amendment because the 14th has been used to make most of the Bill of Rights applicable to the states, and not just to the federal government. A key phrase from the 14th "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens..."
    damn shame illinois never heard of that one.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    To understand the application of the 4A through the 14A better check out Incorporation Doctrine
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

When is the Wisconsin ACLU going to wake up and join in these cases that go beyond the 2nd Admendment, even if their nutty national leadership still don't recognize the right to bear arms as an individual, not collective, right. BTW, is there any right in the Bill of Rights that is a "collective" not "individual" right?
    Last edited by Flipper; 10-10-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.