• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanting to know some answers.

NewGunOwner

I have recently purchased a Ruger LC9, as home protection and for use at work. I'm a delivery driver for a local pharmacy, and carry drugs and money on me at all times. My question is, is it legal for me to keep my handgun in my car glove compartment while I'm driving around? I have been told that it is legal to do so. I am going for my CCDW class on the 22nd of October and know that it will be a few weeks after the class before I get my CC permit. Thanks to anyone that can help me out with this, as I want to know the laws and sometimes reading them get a bit confusing. So in laymans terms, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Happy carrying.

NewGunOwner

Thanks for clearing it up. The gloveboxes in both vehicles are factory installed bud don't have any form of lock on them. I just want to know all the laws concerning this. Can I carry my firearm on the dash as I drive around?

CharleyCherokee

That is incorrect. It can be in any factory installed compartment in your vehicle or plainly visible. If you have a concealed carry license you can put it anywhere you want. The relevant KRS is cited in one of the older posts.

NewGunOwner

Not, that I would, or do I think I will. But does this mean that I can legally ride around with my firearm on the dash of my car? I have heard that yes I can and no I can't. I'm sure that alot of these questions will be answered for me in my CCDW class, but I would just like to know before going into it. I'm not really considering OC as much as I am CC, but maybe in time will do some more OC.

langzaiguy

If it's openly visible then it's OC. I would say that dash-carry is legal. The CCDW class is great and information filled, but don't expect them to answer all your questions--especially about OC. They don't stray much from the script. Since they're not lawyers and they're teaching a CCDW course, they're going to stick to their knowledge base.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Dont believe everything said in this class either, check on things said that you don't see in your book you will receive. When I took mine, the instructor was extremely inaccurate on certain topics we discussed, but since he had his 16 hr trainer course he knew it all and there was no arguing the point, but always Check everything you hear for yourself..

Last edited:

NewGunOwner

Thaks for all the help with my questions. I just want to know all the answers so, that when I am approached, I will know and will be able to educate anyone that I encounter. I live in a small town, and believe that when approached, may be encountered with some resistance. Thanks to all for helping me out.

NewGunOwner

I actually encountered my first, "no concealed weapons" sign at a local convience store where I live today. It was the first time I can remember setting foot in that store, and it will also be the last time that I step foot in that store. My only guess for it being no concealed weapons is because of the ownership. The owners of said store are of Indian decent so I'm guess that is why.

NewGunOwner

I went to the site like you suggested. But when I got there, I wasn't able to add the store to the site. Do you need to register to the site before you can add? I could be doing something incorrectly.

flb_78

I actually encountered my first, "no concealed weapons" sign at a local convience store where I live today. It was the first time I can remember setting foot in that store, and it will also be the last time that I step foot in that store. My only guess for it being no concealed weapons is because of the ownership. The owners of said store are of Indian decent so I'm guess that is why.

Since you do not have a CCDW, the sign doesn't apply to you.

Just carry it in on your hip, out in the open, unconcealed.

NewGunOwner

Yeah, I should just do that. I haven't quite gotten the nerve to carry as of yet. I will though, I'm pretty sure sooner than later. Thanks for the advice though.

hermannr

Yeah, I should just do that. I haven't quite gotten the nerve to carry as of yet. I will though, I'm pretty sure sooner than later. Thanks for the advice though.

OC with confidence. Know the law, and you will have that confidence. OC is legal without a permit so don't worry about it, just do it. I've been doing so for over 40 years, never been a problem.

You might get asked if you are LE however? Answer truthfully, No, but OC is perfectly legal.

NewGunOwner

Took my CCDW class this past weekend and passed with flying colors. Now the waiting game to get my FlashPak and then be able to cc legaly. Can't wait!!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
That is true, More Guns=Less Crime, a proven fact! In the past 20 years, when most states have went to shall issue CCarry, murder rate declined by nearly 50%, rape nearly 40%, robbery nearly 40%, I love having the facts on our side, it burns the anti's up, and there lies are easily disproved. Congratulations, enjoy the freedOms of our great state with pride.