Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Friend under disability!

  1. #1
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    238

    Friend under disability!

    I have a friend who draws compensation from veterans. He has PTSD among other issues. Is he permitted to be with me in my vehichle or I with him in his while I am armed?

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Why wouldn't you be able to carry in his presence? Is he a felon or is tjere something that prohibits him fron owning a firearm? Nothing you have posted would lead me to believe that you can not carry around this person.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    I have a friend who draws compensation from veterans. He has PTSD among other issues. Is he permitted to be with me in my vehichle or I with him in his while I am armed?
    He must be formally adjudicated mentally ill in order not to be able to possess a firearm.

    PTSD is so seriously misunderstood it's not even funny. Seriously. It's not. In fact it's the stereotypical thoughts that every PTSD afflicted vet is a mad man who will experience a reoccuring event that will cause him to go on a murdering spree that is most unhelpful.

    Cavalryman would actually be good to ask about all of this, but being a vet probably very similar to the guy you refer to, I'm pretty sure my answer is spot on.

    Living with it is sh**, as is TBI.

    Yup. You guys can yuck it up now. I have brain damage from invasion operations in '03.

    My firearm has yet to spontaneously leave its holster/storage and kill people, and this is going on 9 years later.


    Honestly, watch the guy for yourself and make your own determination as to his actions and conduct, and how you will proceed around him. A big issue with most veterans, regardless their mental state, is the "soldier on" mentality. He could of course be worse off than you perceive, or he could not.

    That's for you to decide as much as how you would conduct yourself around a friend who isn't mentally ill but you don't know very well. The difference is, at least the veteran has a legitimate reason for the things that do seem a bit "off".

    Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

  4. #4
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    He must be formally adjudicated mentally ill in order not to be able to possess a firearm.

    PTSD is so seriously misunderstood it's not even funny. Seriously. It's not. In fact it's the stereotypical thoughts that every PTSD afflicted vet is a mad man who will experience a reoccuring event that will cause him to go on a murdering spree that is most unhelpful.

    Cavalryman would actually be good to ask about all of this, but being a vet probably very similar to the guy you refer to, I'm pretty sure my answer is spot on.

    Living with it is sh**, as is TBI.

    Yup. You guys can yuck it up now. I have brain damage from invasion operations in '03.

    My firearm has yet to spontaneously leave its holster/storage and kill people, and this is going on 9 years later.


    Honestly, watch the guy for yourself and make your own determination as to his actions and conduct, and how you will proceed around him. A big issue with most veterans, regardless their mental state, is the "soldier on" mentality. He could of course be worse off than you perceive, or he could not.

    That's for you to decide as much as how you would conduct yourself around a friend who isn't mentally ill but you don't know very well. The difference is, at least the veteran has a legitimate reason for the things that do seem a bit "off".

    Hope this helps.
    Anger management problems, past restraining order against him. He cannot buy a firearm in Ohio (he has tried). There may be other issues I am not aware of, preventing this. I'll rephrase the question: Can A person who cannot legall be in the possesion of a firearm, hang out with someone who is armed? And I am fully aware that not everyone who has PTSD is a crazed mad man.
    Last edited by William Fisher; 10-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    Anger management problems, past restraining order against him. He cannot buy a firearm in Ohio (he has tried). There may be other issues I am not aware of, preventing this. I'll rephrase the question: Can A person who cannot legall be in the possesion of a firearm, hang out with someone who is armed? And I am fully aware that not everyone who has PTSD is a crazed mad man.
    That's different than the initial question I think.

    I don't think you could hand your handgun to him, as that would be aiding in a potential felony, but I wouldn't see how it had any bearing whatsoever as to you carrying. In short. I don't know and this post is empty of value.

    Perhaps somebody else can chime in for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

  6. #6
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241
    Have you asked him what restrictions were placed on him possibly by the court, other than what is currently known about his not being able to purchase. You may also what to look to state laws for the answer, and hit the Ohio forum for some info. Good luck!

  7. #7
    Regular Member William Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oxford, Ohio
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Have you asked him what restrictions were placed on him possibly by the court, other than what is currently known about his not being able to purchase. You may also what to look to state laws for the answer, and hit the Ohio forum for some info. Good luck!
    Thank You.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    He must be formally adjudicated mentally ill in order not to be able to possess a firearm.

    PTSD is so seriously misunderstood it's not even funny. Seriously. It's not. In fact it's the stereotypical thoughts that every PTSD afflicted vet is a mad man who will experience a reoccuring event that will cause him to go on a murdering spree that is most unhelpful.

    Cavalryman would actually be good to ask about all of this, but being a vet probably very similar to the guy you refer to, I'm pretty sure my answer is spot on.

    Living with it is sh**, as is TBI.

    Yup. You guys can yuck it up now. I have brain damage from invasion operations in '03.

    My firearm has yet to spontaneously leave its holster/storage and kill people, and this is going on 9 years later.

    Honestly, watch the guy for yourself and make your own determination as to his actions and conduct, and how you will proceed around him. A big issue with most veterans, regardless their mental state, is the "soldier on" mentality. He could of course be worse off than you perceive, or he could not.

    That's for you to decide as much as how you would conduct yourself around a friend who isn't mentally ill but you don't know very well. The difference is, at least the veteran has a legitimate reason for the things that do seem a bit "off".

    Hope this helps.
    Very insightful! Mirrors my own understanding.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    Anger management problems, past restraining order against him. He cannot buy a firearm in Ohio (he has tried). There may be other issues I am not aware of, preventing this. I'll rephrase the question: Can A person who cannot legall be in the possesion of a firearm, hang out with someone who is armed? And I am fully aware that not everyone who has PTSD is a crazed mad man.
    You'd have to check the laws in your own state. From what I understand, most states have no restrictrictions other than the firearm be under your control or possession at all times, rather than left laying around. I would think properly holstered would be fine, as would locked in a safe, or even in a suitcase.

    Also, just because one has been denied a purchase does not necessarily mean one is denied possession. The two are often synonymous, but not always.
    Last edited by since9; 10-10-2011 at 02:08 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  9. #9
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher View Post
    Thank You.
    Your Very Welcome!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •