• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend under disability!

William Fisher

I have a friend who draws compensation from veterans. He has PTSD among other issues. Is he permitted to be with me in my vehichle or I with him in his while I am armed?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Why wouldn't you be able to carry in his presence? Is he a felon or is tjere something that prohibits him fron owning a firearm? Nothing you have posted would lead me to believe that you can not carry around this person.

slowfiveoh

I have a friend who draws compensation from veterans. He has PTSD among other issues. Is he permitted to be with me in my vehichle or I with him in his while I am armed?

He must be formally adjudicated mentally ill in order not to be able to possess a firearm.

PTSD is so seriously misunderstood it's not even funny. Seriously. It's not. In fact it's the stereotypical thoughts that every PTSD afflicted vet is a mad man who will experience a reoccuring event that will cause him to go on a murdering spree that is most unhelpful.

Cavalryman would actually be good to ask about all of this, but being a vet probably very similar to the guy you refer to, I'm pretty sure my answer is spot on.

Living with it is sh**, as is TBI.

Yup. You guys can yuck it up now. I have brain damage from invasion operations in '03.

My firearm has yet to spontaneously leave its holster/storage and kill people, and this is going on 9 years later.

Honestly, watch the guy for yourself and make your own determination as to his actions and conduct, and how you will proceed around him. A big issue with most veterans, regardless their mental state, is the "soldier on" mentality. He could of course be worse off than you perceive, or he could not.

That's for you to decide as much as how you would conduct yourself around a friend who isn't mentally ill but you don't know very well. The difference is, at least the veteran has a legitimate reason for the things that do seem a bit "off".

Hope this helps.

William Fisher

He must be formally adjudicated mentally ill in order not to be able to possess a firearm.

PTSD is so seriously misunderstood it's not even funny. Seriously. It's not. In fact it's the stereotypical thoughts that every PTSD afflicted vet is a mad man who will experience a reoccuring event that will cause him to go on a murdering spree that is most unhelpful.

Cavalryman would actually be good to ask about all of this, but being a vet probably very similar to the guy you refer to, I'm pretty sure my answer is spot on.

Yup. You guys can yuck it up now. I have brain damage from invasion operations in '03.

My firearm has yet to spontaneously leave its holster/storage and kill people, and this is going on 9 years later.

Honestly, watch the guy for yourself and make your own determination as to his actions and conduct, and how you will proceed around him. A big issue with most veterans, regardless their mental state, is the "soldier on" mentality. He could of course be worse off than you perceive, or he could not.

That's for you to decide as much as how you would conduct yourself around a friend who isn't mentally ill but you don't know very well. The difference is, at least the veteran has a legitimate reason for the things that do seem a bit "off".

Hope this helps.

Anger management problems, past restraining order against him. He cannot buy a firearm in Ohio (he has tried). There may be other issues I am not aware of, preventing this. I'll rephrase the question: Can A person who cannot legall be in the possesion of a firearm, hang out with someone who is armed? And I am fully aware that not everyone who has PTSD is a crazed mad man.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

Anger management problems, past restraining order against him. He cannot buy a firearm in Ohio (he has tried). There may be other issues I am not aware of, preventing this. I'll rephrase the question: Can A person who cannot legall be in the possesion of a firearm, hang out with someone who is armed? And I am fully aware that not everyone who has PTSD is a crazed mad man.

That's different than the initial question I think.

I don't think you could hand your handgun to him, as that would be aiding in a potential felony, but I wouldn't see how it had any bearing whatsoever as to you carrying. In short. I don't know and this post is empty of value.

Perhaps somebody else can chime in for ya.

jbone

Have you asked him what restrictions were placed on him possibly by the court, other than what is currently known about his not being able to purchase. You may also what to look to state laws for the answer, and hit the Ohio forum for some info. Good luck!

William Fisher

Have you asked him what restrictions were placed on him possibly by the court, other than what is currently known about his not being able to purchase. You may also what to look to state laws for the answer, and hit the Ohio forum for some info. Good luck!

Thank You.

since9

Campaign Veteran

Hope this helps.

Very insightful! Mirrors my own understanding.

Thank you for sharing.

You'd have to check the laws in your own state. From what I understand, most states have no restrictrictions other than the firearm be under your control or possession at all times, rather than left laying around. I would think properly holstered would be fine, as would locked in a safe, or even in a suitcase.

Also, just because one has been denied a purchase does not necessarily mean one is denied possession. The two are often synonymous, but not always.

Last edited: