Thread: Loaded pistols in vehicles legal now?

Loaded pistols in vehicles legal now?

According to the Wisconsin Department of Justice website it is NOW legal to transport pistols uncased and loaded provided it is visable. Here is the link (see page 52) http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/..._questions.pdf

Am I missing something here? This forum and others say this will not change until November 1st, but the DOJ web site says it is legal now. Below is the verbage from the DOJ site. I am new here, so any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

If I do not have a CCW license how do I transport weapons in a vehicle?
    A. Handguns
    The law now allows a person to do the following without a CCW permit:
    • place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(b).
    • load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(c).
    • operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a handgun in the operator’s possession. Wis. Stat. § 23.33(3)(a).
    • place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a motorboat with the motor running without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. § 167.31(2)(a), (b), (c).
    • place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a noncommercial aircraft.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Persons who do not have a CCW license may still not carry weapons concealed. In a vehicle this means that the firearm cannot be hidden or concealed and within reach.

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 10-06-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nei Don View Post
    Am I missing something here? This forum and others say this will not change until November 1st, but the DOJ web site says it is legal now. Below is the verbage from the DOJ site. I am new here, so any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Here is the actual Statute. As you can see, the changes do not take place until 11-1-11

167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and
    bows.
    (2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
    ROADWAYS.
    (b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess,
    or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in or on a vehicle,
    unless the firearm is a handgun, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (bm),
    unless the firearm is unloaded and encased, or unless the bow or
    crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
    NOTE: Par. (b) is shown as amended eff. 11−1−11 by 2011 Wis. Act 35. Prior
    to 11−1−11 it reads:

(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport
    a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and
    encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying
    case

Thank you!

Thanks much for the clarification. Obviously the statement by the DOJ is misleading and incomplete. Hopefully no one gets in trouble for taking it at face value.