• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NVFC Members and State Sen. John Lee met with NLV officials

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
the best fuel for the anti gunners would be to see the pro gun advocates starting to battle each other. Discussions, debates, sharing opinions and disagreements is obviously going to happen however, we do not want to show weakness or splintering of support among gun supporters.

Why not?

"Splintering" won CCW for Arizona.

"Splintering" put the Heller case before the Supreme Court, and WON it.

In fact, if you look back, I can't find a single major military or political campaign in history which was won by consensus. Quite a few have been LOST that way, but none won.

The NRA isn't Patton, it's more of a Bedell Smith. Or a better example would be John DeWitt, who "went along to get along" to remain in political favor.

wrightme

Wrong twice.

I don't see the NRA as being bad (usually), they just aren't as good as they claim to be.
Yet you IMMEDIATELY badmouthed the new org as an NRA shill, as your main argument against them. Does not that inidcate "NRA = bad?"

DVC said:
If NFC consistently does good things, they are good. This is a good start. What they do next (and next, and next) will show us the overall trend.
So, what metric will YOU use? So far, it seems to be "they do what DVC wants done, in the way DVC wants it done, as long it isn't the way the NRA does it."

DVC said:
Were you public schooled? I can find no other explanation for your failure to understand that the phrase "the NFC is actually trying to get something done" is the acknowledgement that you claim I refuse to give. Admittedly, I am surprised, but I'll take surprises like this all day long.
What difference would that make in your eyes? Are you also anti-public school?

DVC said:
I brought up a point that I wanted others to consider. If you want to condemn me because you missed it, that's your problem, not mine.
You brought up a "point" with no basis in facts. Facts that should be evident to anyone following NV legislative processes.

Last edited:

28kfps

The NRA is "talked about to be a threat" by the mainstream media.

The same mainstream media that thinks that we shouldn't have guns, that paints us all as ignorant drunken rednecks who are looking for a place and time to snap and become mass murderers, is telling the world how afraid they are of the NRA, but refusing to admit that the SAF, SAS, JAFO, GOA etc even exist.

I can hear them pleading "Oh, don't throw me in that NRA briar patch!!!"

Yep mainstream media never been any help. Why do you suppose the mainstream media does not talk about the other groups as a threat to anti gun issues?

28kfps

Why not?

"Splintering" won CCW for Arizona.

"Splintering" put the Heller case before the Supreme Court, and WON it.

In fact, if you look back, I can't find a single major military or political campaign in history which was won by consensus. Quite a few have been LOST that way, but none won.

The NRA isn't Patton, it's more of a Bedell Smith. Or a better example would be John DeWitt, who "went along to get along" to remain in political favor.

You seam to enjoy taking thing's to extreme. I agree checks and balances are needed and to go along to get along brings out the worse of both sides. Constructive push back is important. However if the pro gun groups give any indication of on going or serious in fighting the main stream media will be all over the issue.

DVC

Yet you IMMEDIATELY badmouthed the new org as an NRA shill, as your main argument against them. Does not that inidcate "NRA = bad?"

No, that indicates that any group associated with the NRA is suspect, because NRA isn't as good as many claim it to be, such as those who credit the NRA with the major advances made in gun rights over the last several years.

DVC

Yep mainstream media never been any help. Why do you suppose the mainstream media does not talk about the other groups as a threat to anti gun issues?

The MM is largely lazy. They don't want to do the work to differentiate between the NRA and other gun groups.

The other issue is that they don't want to give publicity to more effective groups -- at least, not in any positive way. If they tell about JPFO or SAS, suddenly the issue takes on a minority-rights slant, and it's their opponents who have the moral high ground.

Those who have been paying attention see what the NRA has and has not done. The MM sees the NRA as both an easy target and as someone they can promote but who won't really do too much.

DVC

You seam to enjoy taking thing's to extreme.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" -- Barry Goldwater

I'm fighting to keep people alive. If you can show me a way to do that through weakness and compromise, it would sure save me (and others) a lot of sweat and annoyance. Believe me, I would rather spend my time flying experimental aircraft, or with some beautiful Filipina on the beach at La'ie.

Make no mistake. I'm not a gun hobbyist. I admire special or antique firearms, but I'm not a hunter, a gamesman or a playtime shooter. My primary interest is that a gun in the hand of an intended victim is the best crime control ever, and guns in the hands of millions of Americans is the only thing that keeps totalitarianism from taking over the planet. "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. " -- Ronald Reagan

I agree checks and balances are needed and to go along to get along brings out the worse of both sides. Constructive push back is important. However if the pro gun groups give any indication of on going or serious in fighting the main stream media will be all over the issue.

If the MM were going to do that, they would have made a lot of noise about how the NRA tried to derail Alan Gura when he was taking Heller to the USSC. Instead, they pretty much had nothing to say about it after a couple of "even the NRA is against taking this to the Supreme Court" stories in the early stages.

28kfps

The MM is largely lazy. They don't want to do the work to differentiate between the NRA and other gun groups.

The other issue is that they don't want to give publicity to more effective groups -- at least, not in any positive way. If they tell about JPFO or SAS, suddenly the issue takes on a minority-rights slant, and it's their opponents who have the moral high ground.

Those who have been paying attention see what the NRA has and has not done. The MM sees the NRA as both an easy target and as someone they can promote but who won't really do too much.

Certainly, points I had not considered. I believe an additional reason the mainstream media throws the NRA name around is that it has the largest number of members, the oldest pro gun origination and the vast majority here in the US and many outside of the US knows what the NRA is. Ask 10 people on the street if they know who the NRA is then ask the same people if the know JPFO is. One the majority will know the other you may get lucky if one-person will know. Though a formable origination if the media said JPFO opposes a particular gun law the mainstream public will say big deal, who the he*l is that?

28kfps

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" -- Barry Goldwater

I'm fighting to keep people alive. If you can show me a way to do that through weakness and compromise, it would sure save me (and others) a lot of sweat and annoyance. Believe me, I would rather spend my time flying experimental aircraft, or with some beautiful Filipina on the beach at La'ie.

Make no mistake. I'm not a gun hobbyist. I admire special or antique firearms, but I'm not a hunter, a gamesman or a playtime shooter. My primary interest is that a gun in the hand of an intended victim is the best crime control ever, and guns in the hands of millions of Americans is the only thing that keeps totalitarianism from taking over the planet. "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. " -- Ronald Reagan

If the MM were going to do that, they would have made a lot of noise about how the NRA tried to derail Alan Gura when he was taking Heller to the USSC. Instead, they pretty much had nothing to say about it after a couple of "even the NRA is against taking this to the Supreme Court" stories in the early stages.

Yes, defense of liberty is not a vice. In my mind Barry Goldwater's defeat is when our country went from a kick a$$ and take names to can’t we all hold hands, skip and get along?

Your statement, “I’m fighting to keep people alive. If you can show me a way to do that through weakness and compromise, it would sure save me (and others) a lot of sweat and annoyance.” Thanks to you and others for the fight. Agreed it cannot be done through weakness, which was my my point to start with. I do not believe we are close however, it was my attempt with my first reply to say as we battle which group or process is the best for the needed results we need to be careful not let it turn into or be perceived as infighting a real sign of weakness. The mainstream media and anti gun groups would be all over that issue.

Your explanation of your interest was not needed for me. It is obvious you are compassionate for the mission and on top of your game and research. I am one of those playtime shooters and hunter doing my part for whatever it is worth to see the same result you talk about. It is very aggravating not to be able to open carry my firearm as the 2nd amendment allows. I live 2 miles from the Commufornia line and it boggles my mind with no more than a few steps I can go from a law-abiding citizen to a felon.

By the way, you quoted Ronald Reagan. Have you ever been to the Ronald Regan library? It is an amassing place. To read some of his early writings it was obvious early on he had a real love for the USA and the American people. One can easily spend 4 hours there. It is located in Simi Valley 30 or so miles north of LA.

wrightme

No, that indicates that any group associated with the NRA is suspect, because NRA isn't as good as many claim it to be, such as those who credit the NRA with the major advances made in gun rights over the last several years.

Oh, so the group is suspect, because the NRA isn't "good"? Okay, that makes ALL the difference..... </sarcasm>

Maybe you could start judging such groups for what they say and do. I won't hold my breath waiting for that though.

DVC

Though a formable origination if the media said JPFO opposes a particular gun law the mainstream public will say big deal, who the he*l is that?

Well, isn't it the reporters' job to answer that question . . ?

The problem is that they don't WANT the question to even be ASKED.

The MM have spent decades creating a stereotype of the honest gun owner being an overweight, camo-clad, undereducated middle-aged WASP, a drunk with three teeth. The last thing they want is for people to know about Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Women Against Gun Control, Second Amendment Sisters, or anyone else who doesn't fit the mold.

Worse, each of those groups can lay claim to a greater reason for being pro-civil-rights than you or I can, due to history of oppression and victimization because of who they are. The Talking Heads don't want people seeing a young mother telling how she carries because it's the only way that a 4'9," 85 lb Filipina can defend herself and her children against a man (or more that one) who stands 15" taller and weighs two and a half times what she does.

In other words, they don't want to show ANY legitimacy in gun ownership.

By concentrating on the NRA -- which is where they got the stereotype from in the first place, back in the 1960s when it was pretty much just a hunting club that offered a few safety classes -- they are able to keep their viewers from actually learning anything that might lead them off the reservation.

This is a balancing act. On the one hand, they want people to think of the NRA as their enemy, while on the other they want to use the NRA's support of "reasonable" gun control as a tool against those who are working to restore civil rights.

This is why I am taking this new group with a block of salt. I have often said that I would rather have a rabid anti-gunner Democrat in office than a Republican who is lukewarm (or won't take a stand) regarding our rights. When the rabid anti, you KNOW he's not on our side, and we watch carefully and react rapidly when needed. With the lukewarm, those who see a minefield ahead have a harder time trying to get anyone to pay attention, because they think the Republican is on their side. If this new group is going to be "reasonable," they will become the publicity center for the MM when gun issues come up, and that will make it harder to actually get anything done. We've already seen that in the past with Bob Irwin, and he's a leader in this group.

However, if they are going to actually get into action -- as it seems they might be doing -- then I'm right there with them.

One action is not a trend, but this is a good start.

DVC

Oh, so the group is suspect, because the NRA isn't "good"? Okay, that makes ALL the difference.....

Well . . .yeah . . ?

If I told you that a newly-formed group were associated with the Brady Campaign, do you suspect them, or do you support them until you see what they do?

The NRA has a very spotty record when it comes to civil rights, and WORKED AGAINST the most important move forward in the history of the Second Amendment. Once they realized that they couldn't kill it, they tried to take it over, and then once it passed, they tried to claim the credit.

With a record like that, why would anyone with any intelligence NOT be suspicious of a group associated with them?

Instead of whining about my suspicions, PROVE THEM WRONG. If this is the great civil-rights tool that you claim it to be, SHOW US.

Until you do, you have no right to complain that I'm tarring you with the same brush that marks your "associated" organization.

DVC

Yes, defense of liberty is not a vice. In my mind Barry Goldwater's defeat is when our country went from a kick a$$ and take names to can’t we all hold hands, skip and get along?

Okay, so compare the NRA to SAF. Which group is more likely to fit the "holding hands" mold?

To be fair, the NRA wasn't intended to be an activist group. They were kind of pushed into it, and thus have never had the strong interest found in the other groups which have come up since 1968. As a SOCIAL organization of gun enthusiasts, NRA is the top of the pyramid. Likewise, for basic gunhandling and gun safety training, they can't be beat. I am 100% behind their Eddie Eagle program.

Your statement, “I’m fighting to keep people alive. If you can show me a way to do that through weakness and compromise, it would sure save me (and others) a lot of sweat and annoyance.” Thanks to you and others for the fight.

I didn't say that to get thanks. I said it so that you will understand my position.

Agreed it cannot be done through weakness, which was my my point to start with. I do not believe we are close however, it was my attempt with my first reply to say as we battle which group or process is the best for the needed results we need to be careful not let it turn into or be perceived as infighting a real sign of weakness. The mainstream media and anti gun groups would be all over that issue.

When have you ever seen this happen? I've been active in the civil-rights arena since the early 1970s, and been paying attention the entire time. I have yet to see anything other than passing mention of disagreement between the NRA and any other gun group or activist. Even when I was actively trying to get the MM to pay attention, they didn't seem to notice.

Your explanation of your interest was not needed for me. It is obvious you are compassionate for the mission and on top of your game and research. I am one of those playtime shooters and hunter doing my part for whatever it is worth to see the same result you talk about.

I am not disparaging hunters and playtime shooters, I am just trying to show what a gulf there is between my motivation and yours. You and others like you are the ones that I spend so much time trying to reach, because you are the ones who write the letters to the editor (and to our Elect Officials), you are the ones who coe out for OC days and to clean up parks, and you are the ones who talk to your neighbors about things. I'm the guy reloading your magazines and spotting your targets for you.

It is very aggravating not to be able to open carry my firearm as the 2nd amendment allows. I live 2 miles from the Commufornia line and it boggles my mind with no more than a few steps I can go from a law-abiding citizen to a felon.

Having just spent a couple of days in the People's Republic, I know exactly what you mean. I had to make sure I didn't have anything in the car which might be a problem, then spent the night in the Bay Area listening to stacked-up emergency police calls on the scanner.

By the way, you quoted Ronald Reagan. Have you ever been to the Ronald Regan library? It is an amassing place. To read some of his early writings it was obvious early on he had a real love for the USA and the American people. One can easily spend 4 hours there. It is located in Simi Valley 30 or so miles north of LA.

I met Ronald Reagan when I was a kid -- while he was campaigning for Goldwater, he held several meetings in our living room (they weren't large meetings) getting the local workers organized and enthused. He came back when he was starting his run for governor. As young as I was, I had no idea who he was, but I was used as an example of the need for a program that he started after he got to Sacto, and by then I was old enough to be impressed (and to become interested in the mechanism of politics, which has been useful since then). Later, I worked hard to get him into the White House, and to keep him there, as a member of the largest county committee in the Republican Party.

I can only dream of what this country would be if Goldwater had replaced LBJ, then 8 years later been succeeded by Ronald Reagan. We would have either avoided or won the Vietnam War, we would have avoided the race riots of the 1960s, we would have a 35-year-old colony on the Moon, we would not have the terrorist problem . . .and we would not have had the Gun Control Act of 1968 or the BATF, and wouldn't have had Nixon starting the NCBF and HCI.

However, to answer your question, I have yet to make it to Seamy Simi with time enough for the detour.

wrightme

Well . . .yeah . . ?

If I told you that a newly-formed group were associated with the Brady Campaign, do you suspect them, or do you support them until you see what they do?
Depends upon what the group is "for." If they are "for" getting rid of guns, I would not support them, whether the Brady Campaign is associated with them or not.

Frankly, that is a bit of a silly example.

DVC said:
The NRA has a very spotty record when it comes to civil rights, and WORKED AGAINST the most important move forward in the history of the Second Amendment. Once they realized that they couldn't kill it, they tried to take it over, and then once it passed, they tried to claim the credit.
The NRA is not a civil rights organization, and the 2nd Amendment is not recognized as a civil right.

DVC said:
With a record like that, why would anyone with any intelligence NOT be suspicious of a group associated with them?

Instead of whining about my suspicions, PROVE THEM WRONG. If this is the great civil-rights tool that you claim it to be, SHOW US.

Until you do, you have no right to complain that I'm tarring you with the same brush that marks your "associated" organization.
Some people like the NRA, others don't.
To the Brady's, the NRA is the "no compromise" gun rights org.
To groups like NRAWOL, the NRA is the "compromise rights away" gun rights org.

Opinions are like, well, you know......

You come in here and start going off about a new gun rights org, simply because of who they affiliate with, even though the group they affiliate with IS a gun rights group. The new group, contrary to what you attempted to claim in the first, is NOT a construct of the NRA.

For example, they would STILL be the NFC if they were affiliated with JFPO or GOA........... Judge them for what the NFC says and does.

varminter22

[NFC will] STILL be the NFC if they were affiliated with JFPO or GOA........... Judge them for what the NFC says and does.
Perhaps that is the best statement made here so far.

The NFC is affiliated with the NRA as the statewide organization. But the NFC is a Nevada non-profit corporation with its own Board of Directors and free-thinking members.

It will succeed or fail based upon the support and input from its members.

DVC

The NRA is not a civil rights organization, and the 2nd Amendment is not recognized as a civil right.

Voting was "not recognized as a civil right" until 1965, so I don't see your point.

You come in here and start going off about a new gun rights org, simply because of who they affiliate with, even though the group they affiliate with IS a gun rights group.

You'd better let the NRA know that. According to their website: "The primary goal of the association would be to 'promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis'" . . .

The ILA, formed 104 years later, is barely mentioned on their official history page, and gets less than 10% of the NRA budget. I knew two former members of the NRA Board (Colonel Cooper and Neal Knox), and they told me of their struggles to try to get the NRA to do anything solid about civil rights. Even the Colonel couldn't get the NRA to stop working against the CCW initiative drive.

The new group, contrary to what you attempted to claim in the first, is NOT a construct of the NRA.

I remain unconvinced, but it doesn't matter -- affiliation is suspicious enough.

For example, they would STILL be the NFC if they were affiliated with JFPO or GOA........... Judge them for what the NFC says and does.

Wilco. I WANT to be proven wrong, I want to discover that they are strong, committed and effective allies in this important fight. I want to have to eat crow and join this group. But it will take proof, not mere words.

For the last time, and for the record, this meeting was a step in the right direction.

Now I'm going to drop this thread, I have other things to do and neither of us is going to convince the other here.

PROVE ME WRONG for doubting. That is the challenge, and the only acceptable standard.

wrightme

Voting was "not recognized as a civil right" until 1965, so I don't see your point.
The "point" is that it isn't a recognized civil right, and has nothing to do with voting.

It is either recognized as a civil right (as you attempt to claim) or it isn't. Currently, it isn't.

wrightme

You'd better let the NRA know that. According to their website: "The primary goal of the association would be to 'promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis'" . . .

The ILA, formed 104 years later, is barely mentioned on their official history page, and gets less than 10% of the NRA budget. I knew two former members of the NRA Board (Colonel Cooper and Neal Knox), and they told me of their struggles to try to get the NRA to do anything solid about civil rights. Even the Colonel couldn't get the NRA to stop working against the CCW initiative drive.
Whether you want to agree or not, the NRA IS a gun rights organization. And, once again, it isn't about civil rights at all, no matter how often you try to claim it is.

DVC said:
Wilco. I WANT to be proven wrong, I want to discover that they are strong, committed and effective allies in this important fight. I want to have to eat crow and join this group. But it will take proof, not mere words.
The BEST method to have such a new group be influenced so you would have to eat crow, would be for you to JOIN and be a voice for their direction.

Or, you can snipe from the sidelines when they don't look like they are working towards what YOU feel they should be working towards, in the way YOU feel they should be working towards it.........

The choice is yours, but you will be likely to be taken much more seriously if you become a part of the group.
DVC said:
PROVE ME WRONG for doubting. That is the challenge, and the only acceptable standard.
Time will tell. Either help, or I have little doubt that you will find SOMETHING to snipe at them about. You claim you want to be proven wrong, yet you keep moving the goalposts on them. Get in there and be a part. Or, don't. Sniping in here does no good.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Whether you want to agree or not, the NRA IS a gun rights organization. And, once again, it isn't about civil rights at all, no matter how often you try to claim it is.

What rights are the NRA about? your right to apply for a permission slip? lol!

The BEST method to have such a new group be influenced so you would have to eat crow, would be for you to JOIN and be a voice for their direction.

Many of us have joined the NRA just to find out we dont have a voice, "once bitten twice shy"

Or, you can snipe from the sidelines when they don't look like they are working towards what YOU feel they should be working towards, in the way YOU feel they should be working towards it.........

Sidelines? Who is on the side lines? Did the NRA sponser a NLV trash pick up OC in front of the PD? Did the NRA offer assistance when we put our butts on the line at the first "Strip" open carry? Were they helping the Big Guy on all his hard work in Henderson? I did not see em anywhere, so either I am blind, or the NRA is the one on the sidelines. and you are accurate they "snipe" at us OC'ers. then take our money to pay lobbyist, then want us to give them the credit, when it was our money.

The choice is yours, but you will be likely to be taken much more seriously if you become a part of the group.

Can you elaborate please? It sounded like you said "after your check clears we will act like your opinons matter."

Time will tell. Either help, or I have little doubt that you will find SOMETHING to snipe at them about. You claim you want to be proven wrong, yet you keep moving the goalposts on them. Get in there and be a part. Or, don't. Sniping in here does no good.[/QUOTE]

Can you provide your Cite for the Moving of the goal posts quote?