• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO's "Advice" (BUACHOOO!!!)

Badger Johnson

In Colorado - " The right of NO PERSON to keep & bear arms in defense of their home, person, or property shall be called into question............."

All Colorado LEO's have sworn an oath to uphold that (constitutionally enforced ) principle.

Badge-bearers have a dangerous, and necessary job confronting them. Somehow, someway they have to adapt to the concept that CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR is the focus of their duties.

YET, I BELIEVE they get absolutely NO TRAINING as to how to accomplish their job while abiding by this amendment/edict. Why not???

It should be simple. Get dispatch to ask pertinent questions - 'is this person doing anything (blah-blah dangerous, fattening, etc.)?' If not, 'sorry ma'am, it's legal here'.

Show pic of a dude walking dog, shopping, and say "DO NOT hassle this law-abiding person". Show picture of Ninja with scary weapon under coat - 'if you pay attention to granpa walking dog you'll miss NINJA with BOMB, no?'.

Anyway, it's a mockery of a travesty --Mod edited--

Kingfish

It should be as simple as "how is he carrying his firearm?" If the answer is "it's in his holster..."
Is a holster required by CO law or constitution? How about OC in the hand. Although, I am not advocating OC in the hand or "mexican" carry, the point is that unless one is breaking the LAW then no confrontation is necessary.

MilProGuy

Is a holster required by CO law or constitution? How about OC in the hand. Although, I am not advocating OC in the hand or "mexican" carry, the point is that unless one is breaking the LAW then no confrontation is necessary.

No, I wouldn't recommend carrying a handgun around in your hand while out in public, either. A person who would do so is just "cruisin' for a bruisin'"!

Kingfish

No, I wouldn't recommend carrying a handgun around in your hand while out in public, either. A person who would do so is just "cruisin' for a bruisin'"!
Not the point. The point is that unless and until someone is actually committing a crime, they are not committing a crime and should be left alone.

Last edited:

Fisherman

Actually, I'd listen to the garbage man's answer with more credulity.

Me too. Being a garbage picker upper man is honest and honorable work that needs to be done. Way better than being on the dole. Some of 'em are pretty smart.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Not the point. The point is that unless and until someone is actually committing a crime, they are not committing a crime and should be left alone.

I don't know about that. A number of people will get upset if a cop draws their gun while responding to a MWAG-type of call. I don't know your personal thoughts on such encounters, but would you be okay with cops coming up to you with their guns drawn?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Is a holster required...

Dude, you're completely missing the point. We're pushing for Constitutional carry, yes, but there's no Stargate between here and there for most states. Even the Stargate had to work in increments.

We do, too. A "properly-holstered firearm" is lawful situation beyond objection, other than the firearm itself, and that legality rests fully with the state, but gives them no mercy so long as it's properly holstered.

CO law or constitution?

How about brandishing? Wave it around a while, see how far that goes.

What are you after, Kingfish? We are for the lawful carry of firearms under the U.S. and Colorado Constitutions.

How about OC in the hand.

I would argue, absolutely, and only in the case of an immediate and deadly threat.

Seriously, dude! Do you really want to put on the table highly unlikely actions "just because?" I'd MUCH rather have a law on the books that said if someone unholstered a firearm, that resolves within .0000001 seconds as to either an attack or a defense. I would like to leave an exception allowing anyone (security guards, homeowners, apartment dwellers, etc.), to walk about, unholstered, should the situation prove necessary.

JamesB

I'd MUCH rather have a law on the books that said if someone unholstered a firearm, that resolves within .0000001 seconds as to either an attack or a defense.

That certainly seems like a law. I can't translate it to what the hell it means in English even if I use a dictionary, and it includes some arbitrary number.

You should propose it to a Senator.

/sarcasm off

JamesB

I don't know about that. A number of people will get upset if a cop draws their gun while responding to a MWAG-type of call. I don't know your personal thoughts on such encounters, but would you be okay with cops coming up to you with their guns drawn?

Yes, I get upset when anyone points a gun in my general direction. I don't even care how much or how little trainging they have had. I care even less who they are employed by.

Would I be okay with a cop coming up to me with his gun drawn? F*** NO!! Does it stop them from doing it? f*** no.

since9

Campaign Veteran
That certainly seems like a law. I can't translate it to what the hell it means in English even if I use a dictionary, and it includes some arbitrary number.f

Brandishing itself isn't on the books here in Colorado. Disorderly conduct and menacing, however, are on the books, and the numbers aren't arbitrary. They're C.R.S. 18-9-106 and C.R.S. 18-3-206, respectively. Read more, here. Bottom line, if you keep it holstered, you're fine. If you draw it it'd better be at the range or for self-defense, for if it's not, you stand a good chance of getting stuck with either of the two above.

/sarc on
Is that a better translation? Any problems understanding it, now?
/sac off

Last edited:

JamesB

Brandishing itself isn't on the books here in Colorado. Disorderly conduct and menacing, however, are on the books, and the numbers aren't arbitrary. They're C.R.S. 8-9-106 and C.R.S. 18-3-206, respectively. Read more, here. Bottom line, if you keep it holstered, you're fine. If you draw it it'd better be at the range or for self-defense, for if it's not, you stand a good chance of getting stuck with either of the two above.

/sarc on
Is that a better translation? Any problems understanding it, now?
/sac off

This I can translate, thank you. Ps. Disorderly is 18-9-610 not 8-9-610

What I can't translate is what I QUOTED earlier. Specifically, "I'd MUCH rather have a law on the books that said if someone unholstered a firearm, that resolves within .0000001 seconds as to either an attack or a defense." And the number I find arbitrary is contained within said quote. As it (the quoted material) is not easily understood, I think it sounds like any other stupid law that is already on the books.

Kingfish

Dude, you're completely missing the point. We're pushing for Constitutional carry, yes, but there's no Stargate between here and there for most states. Even the Stargate had to work in increments.

We do, too. A "properly-holstered firearm" is lawful situation beyond objection, other than the firearm itself, and that legality rests fully with the state, but gives them no mercy so long as it's properly holstered.

How about brandishing? Wave it around a while, see how far that goes.

What are you after, Kingfish? We are for the lawful carry of firearms under the U.S. and Colorado Constitutions.

I would argue, absolutely, and only in the case of an immediate and deadly threat.

Seriously, dude! Do you really want to put on the table highly unlikely actions "just because?" I'd MUCH rather have a law on the books that said if someone unholstered a firearm, that resolves within .0000001 seconds as to either an attack or a defense. I would like to leave an exception allowing anyone (security guards, homeowners, apartment dwellers, etc.), to walk about, unholstered, should the situation prove necessary.

Since9, my whole point is that unless someone is actually doing something UNLAWFUL then LE need to keep their hands to themselves. That is all.

learn2shoot

Bad Advice

A friend in downstate Long Island NY asked a cop how best to transport a firearm to PA for some shooting. The cop then proceeded to tell my friend that it was illegal to transport a firearm across state line and was under no conditions to take his (Ruger 10/22) out of the state. Then proceeded to lambast his for owning a firearm in the first place, asking him why he thought he needed a gun... etc. I asked for the cops name and I was going to call him up and lambast him, but he could not remember or never knew it in the first place.

I scolded my firned for not calling my first.

Beau

A friend in downstate Long Island NY asked a cop how best to transport a firearm to PA for some shooting. The cop then proceeded to tell my friend that it was illegal to transport a firearm across state line and was under no conditions to take his (Ruger 10/22) out of the state. Then proceeded to lambast his for owning a firearm in the first place, asking him why he thought he needed a gun... etc. I asked for the cops name and I was going to call him up and lambast him, but he could not remember or never knew it in the first place.

I scolded my firned for not calling my first.

What a true friend should do is scold him for living in NY. Invite him to one of the free states.