• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time Magazine - Profiles of 'Open Carry' Gun-Law Advocates

Baked on Grease

I think that was put together well, will have to link this so it spreads. Thanks for posting it!

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
"I had to load my gun one time," says Alaine, describing a moment when she feared for her safety, "and I was shaking. I don't know if I could have used it."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2000412,00.html#ixzz1a25rgRUo
Why would you say that to the media? Thats what the anti's want. LOOK! SHE WAS SHAKING AND UNSURE OF HER ACTIONS! AND WE WANT THEM CARRYING GUNS? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

you don't know if you could use your gun or not? Maybe you shouldn't carry until you figure that one out lady.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Looks well put together and shows a nice cross section of the American public that carries sidearms for protection. Thanks for sharing Mike!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Yes indeed, thanks for the share. I would never have seen it without the link.

I am amazed to see from Kalifornistan no tatoos, piercings, sags, beards or other evidence of alternative lifestyles - and in TIME to boot!

SFCRetired

Well done. Only thing I would like to see would be another photo shoot of somewhere else in the U.S. It would probably be a severe shock to Time's readers to learn that there are folk who not only open carry, but do so with a loaded weapon!!

It would also probably do a lot to normalize the carry of a firearm; one of our most sought-after goals.

Superlite27

Why is almost everyone in these pictures carrying at 1 o'clock?

I wonder if pointing the muzzle at your femoral artery whenever you sit down (as depicted in the photos of the ladies at the beauty shop) is the "in" thing, nowadays?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Good observation! This couldn't be another case of exploding gastanks, could it?

"Jan, we're from TIME and doing a story on abnormal normal carry of guns. Would you put this on, please? No, no, here, not there." SERPA holsters are well represented too.

Ruby

Yes, Jack House, this is old. I remember seeing it several months ago. Bittersweet memories for those in Cali, eh? No more unloaded open carry. :(

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why is almost everyone in these pictures carrying at 1 o'clock?

I wonder if pointing the muzzle at your femoral artery whenever you sit down (as depicted in the photos of the ladies at the beauty shop) is the "in" thing, nowadays?

Because appendix carry has its good points.

I understand the absolute adherence to The Four Rules as a sure way to try and reduce the risk of negligent discharges and their consequences, but can you prove to me that all the guns in your safe are not pointing at something you do not want to destroy? What about the folks who carry anyewhere higher than ground level - especially if they carry inside a building? Or how about most of the folks out there whose holsters are canted from the vertical? Do I really need to go on?

Carrying a firearm is an inherently risky business. Manufacturers have tried to remove the risks from mechanical failure. Humans can remove most of the rest of the risk just by keeping their booger hooks off the bang switch until they want the thing to work as intended. Keeping the thing in a secure holster goes a long way towards keeping the booger hook off the bang switch. But since the object of carrying a firearm is to be able to have one handy to use when you need to use it, safely carrying in a manner that makes it easy to use makes sense.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Because appendix carry has its good points.

I read your points and appreciate your having the type of mindset to explore them further. Perhaps we all should do so in depth before we chamber the first round.

In the end, though heading out the door half-cocked is foolish. Heading out the door unloaded is asinine. The regulators made CA folks out to be asinine fools, when the ca folks should have called them on the carpets. They didn't. Instead, they took what they could get, and what they got was nonsense. Not they have nothing.

Not progress, in my book.

I understand the absolute adherence to The Four Rules as a sure way to try and reduce the risk of negligent discharges

I don't!!! When have you EVER seen a "negligent discharge?" In 23 years of both OC and CC, as well as 20 years on the job, throughout the entire world (SA, NA, Asia, SWA, EU, AF, you name it), I've NEVER seen a "negligent discharge." The very idea of enacting a law preventing 1 ND in the wake of perhaps dozens of real-world incidents requiring AOC is utterly, HUA NEGLIGENT.

But can you prove to me that all the guns in your safe are not pointing at something you do not want to destroy?

Can you prove to me that some jerk won't drive off the street and plow us both through the back room wall?

What about the folks who carry anyewhere higher than ground level - especially if they carry inside a building? Or how about most of the folks out there whose holsters are canted from the vertical? Do I really need to go on?

No, and I get your point. Should have know better. You were playing the devil's advocate. I stand corrected, having observed you point out the obvious, with all sublime.

Carrying a firearm is an inherently risky business. Manufacturers have tried to remove the risks from mechanical failure. Humans can remove most of the rest of the risk just by keeping their booger hooks off the bang switch until they want the thing to work as intended. Keeping the thing in a secure holster goes a long way towards keeping the booger hook off the bang switch.

My reasoning behind why a properly holstered firearm is the least of a PD's worries.

But since the object of carrying a firearm is to be able to have one handy to use when you need to use it, safely carrying in a manner that makes it easy to use makes sense.

I think a properly-holstered firearm makes sense. I don't think an in-the-waist solution makes much sense. They're not trying to conceal it from the public at large by that measure. They're trying to conceal it from the target of their criminal robbery.

Huge difference.

bmward64

Why would you say that to the media? Thats what the anti's want. LOOK! SHE WAS SHAKING AND UNSURE OF HER ACTIONS! AND WE WANT THEM CARRYING GUNS? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

you don't know if you could use your gun or not? Maybe you shouldn't carry until you figure that one out lady.

+1000

MKEgal

since9 said:
When have you EVER seen a "negligent discharge?"
:: raises hand ::

Early NOV, in the Milwaukee, WI area...
at a posted mall...
by an off-duty Milwaukee cop...
carrying in-waistband...
without a holster.
Either the bullet or a piece of the floor hit a woman in the leg.

The local city police (he wasn't in Milwaukee) didn't arrest or charge him.
The Milwaukee County DA waited more than a month before charging him. (And I strongly suspect that was only because of public outrage when he wasn't arrested or charged.)
The chief of Milwaukee police says it's a training issue & is "disappointed" the cop is being charged.

Here's one thread,
and an article.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
OK and MKE, you're missing my point: "I've never SEEN a "negligent discharge.".[/quote]

Sure, there are videos out there showing some. My point is that they're so rare, "the very idea of enacting a law preventing 1 ND in the wake of perhaps dozens of real-world incidents" is itself negligent. Laws which restrict our freedoms just to prevent that 1 incident in 1,000,000 are stupid. As an example, the GFSZA of 1990 comes to mind...

Last edited: