• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying a Pocket Pistol?

DoomGoober

I live in Washington and I occasionally OC a full size but I usually CC a pocket pistol. I'm moving to California and will no longer be able to CC.

I was thinking I would just UOC my tiny pocket pistol. I know, it sounds weird, but it doesn't weigh nearly as much, doesn't jab me in the ribs, and it's not as blatantly obvious.

My question is this: With the pistol being so small, it's practically swallowed by the holster. Will I run into any problems with LEO? It's technically an open carry it's just really hard to see...

Thanks!

(And yes, I will OC my full size occasionally as a political statement, but prefer not to day by day.)

Alexander

teemgreen99

If the pistol is swallowed up by the holster I would strongly encourage you not to carry it or have a holster made to fit it. It would not surprise me in the least bit if the cops tried arresting you for concealing the weapon whether it is or not...if it can't be seen then its concealed. It isn't the law but the general rule of thumb is that it can be seen from three sides.

Gundude

I live in Washington and I occasionally OC a full size but I usually CC a pocket pistol. I'm moving to California and will no longer be able to CC.

I was thinking I would just UOC my tiny pocket pistol. I know, it sounds weird, but it doesn't weigh nearly as much, doesn't jab me in the ribs, and it's not as blatantly obvious.

My question is this: With the pistol being so small, it's practically swallowed by the holster. Will I run into any problems with LEO? It's technically an open carry it's just really hard to see...

Thanks!

(And yes, I will OC my full size occasionally as a political statement, but prefer not to day by day.)

Alexander

12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of
being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(f) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

DoomGoober

Thanks guys. I guess the question is what the definition of "openly in belt holsters" means. The handle of the pistol is view-able from three sides and the holster is a commercial holster, so I hopefully should be OK.

Last edited:

Gundude

Thanks guys. I guess the question is what the definition of "openly in belt holsters" means. The handle of the pistol is view-able from three sides and the holster is a commercial holster, so I hopefully should be OK.

If it's in a holster and on your belt, and not covered by your shirt or jacket, you should be good to go.
Watch out for the gun free school zones. UOC'ing within 1000 ft from a K-12 school is a no no.
And, don't forget your recorders.

skyisfalling

Hey Doom,
I am going through the same thing. Planning a extended vacation (snow-birding)
in California. I am from Wash St. where I enjoy LOC everyday, everywhere I go.
Studying Cali law.
I will be UOC when possible, but not all my friends want to be a political prisoner.
If Gov. Brown signs AB 144, Jan. 1st could be the end of any self-defense measures
by law abiding citizens.
I am very frustrated and do not want to be out in public, "naked".
Good luck to you and everyone in "Komi-states".