• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

van hollan supports minimum requirements

oliverclotheshoff

http://www.wkow.com/story/15634578/attorney-general-defends-concealed-carry-rules

MADISON (WKOW) -- Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen is defending the state Justice Department's concealed carry regulations.

The Justice Department is drafting rules to enact a new law that allows Wisconsin residents to carry concealed weapons. The National Rifle Association sent Van Hollen a letter Wednesday accusing the DOJ of going beyond the law's intent by imposing a minimum of four hours of training that must include hands-on practice.

Van Hollen says the law calls for training, but doesn't clearly define it. Rather than laying a curriculum, the agency decided that setting a minimum time requirement would deter judges from later dictating how much training is needed.

He says the agency won't create any other restrictions on training. Van Hollen says the NRA's assertion the agency will require hands-on practice is inaccurate.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Well I'm sure it will take me over 4 hours to complete the MD online thing. So I'm good.

And just out of curiosity. If anything in that report is true then why is the DOJ's web site still blank?

It takes months to come up with "4 hours" for training?

****. I AM in the wrong business.

Last edited:
M

McX

i got a bad feeling were about to have a railway inserted, i heard about the idea of 8 hours of training. while i love you guys dearly, 8 hours with you is going to be a long day. i hope we get beer and pretzels during it. maybe pizza, or MKE can make us some cookies, girls always make the best cookies!

Last edited:

kiezer

http://www.wkow.com/story/15634578/attorney-general-defends-concealed-carry-rules

MADISON (WKOW) -- Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen is defending the state Justice Department's concealed carry regulations.

The Justice Department is drafting rules to enact a new law that allows Wisconsin residents to carry concealed weapons. The National Rifle Association sent Van Hollen a letter Wednesday accusing the DOJ of going beyond the law's intent by imposing a minimum of four hours of training that must include hands-on practice.

Van Hollen says the law calls for training, but doesn't clearly define it. Rather than laying a curriculum, the agency decided that setting a minimum time requirement would deter judges from later dictating how much training is needed.

He says the agency won't create any other restrictions on training. Van Hollen says the NRA's assertion the agency will require hands-on practice is inaccurate.

A very good job by Van Hollen.

M

McX

I still would not bank in MD on-line only training. No "hands-on" required but the DOJ has stated face-to-face as a requirement.

i'm sorry interceptor, this matter, and thread is now classified, i have fixed your post for you:

i still would not (classifed) only training, (classified) required, but the DOJ has (classified) as a (classified).

it's a matter of national security there dude.

Zeus

I've never had cookies made by a woman with a gun on her hip. That would be extra sweet! ;)

jpm84092

4 Hour Training Requirement

To my students:

Those of you who took my UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course, but have not yet applied for the UT permit, make a copy of our application bearing my seal, and send in the application to get your UT Permit (to have maximum reciprocity regardless of which states honor the WI permit). The UT CFP course is a minimum of 4 hours and the copy of your application bearing my signature and seal is proof of training. (Note that the seal contains my UT BCI Instructor Permit Number for WI to verify my status as a BCI Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor - and ALL BCI Certified Instructors must first either be current NRA Certified Pistol Instructors -or- current POST Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors). - And, a UT Permit gets you into MN; while it may take a while for MN to enter into reciprocity with WI (if at all).

Those of you who took NRA Basic Pistol from me, that is an 8-hour course and it seems to me that there is no way WI will not honor the NRA Basic Pistol Course as proof of training, particularly considering that all of you earned the NRA-Winchester Basic Practical Marksmanship Rocker (Even Mrs. Paul Fisher). You may use a copy of that Certificate to apply to apply for a Florida or Arizona CFP if you are so inclined.

Those of you who have received your UT CFP, that alone is proof of training under the SB-93 as amended (aka: AB-35). It also is good to go as proof of training if you wish to obtain a non-resident FL or AZ permit.

Carry on...

Yellow Cat Out -

markush

If they impose a "time limit" what are the chances that my certificate that states my training took place over 2 days is going to fly?

Attachments

• certificate-blacked.jpg
    certificate-blacked.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 101