• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry at the Boise Airport

oldbanger

What follows is a conversation with the head of the Boise Police Department, Airport Division.

I have open carried in the terminal with no problem.

but you notice that I did not mention OC or CC.

just a heads up for you all, carry on
-----------------------------------

Can I carry a firearm in the Non-Sterile Areas of Boise Airport ?

Thank You

T
-----------------------------

Good afternoon T,

My name is Mike Majors and I supervise the Police Officers assigned to the Airport. Your Email was forwarded to me and I have been asked to respond to you. I don't know why your original Email (Oct, 2010) did not get handled properly, but on behalf of the Boise Police Department I apologize.
The Second Amendment of the Constitution affords you the right to keep and bear arms. Every police officer has taken an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and of the State of Idaho, and the laws and ordinances of Ada County and Boise City.
As for your inquiry about carrying a firearm in the Non-sterile areas of the Airport, I would appreciate additional information so I can give you the most accurate answer. If you have a specific area you are interested in, or if you are a tenant of the Airport, or otherwise conducting business on Airport property, it would be helpful to know that too.
For instance, if you are asking if you can carry a firearm into the public area (the front of the terminal, prior to the TSA security checkpoint) than the answer is yes you may. Of course, you should anticipate having other citizens contacting the police with that information and an officer making contact with you to determine the nature of your presence and/or your need for assistance.
As I am sure you are aware, numerous citizens experience a higher anxiety level when entering the Airport, anticipating the TSA Checkpoint searches and then flying on a jet to their destination. Especially now, at the ten-year anniversary of 9/11 when commercial aircraft were used to attack our nation, and the heightened concern of another such attack, our fellow citizens are very anxious.
I look forward to hearing from you soon, please feel free to contact me by Email or phone at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Lieutenant Mike Majors
Boise Police Department
Airport Division
------------------------------

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I want to be able to carry lawfully in the car park areas and carry a firearm into the public area (the front of the terminal, prior to the TSA security checkpoint)

I think you have answered my question.

Respectfully,

T
-----------------------------------

Good Morning T,

Thanks for your quick reply. Perchance are you one of the Freedom Riders I spoke with a couple months ago?

As I mentioned earlier if you chose to openly carry a firearm, it will cause anxiety for a lot of passengers, some of them children. I don't believe it is your intent to scare them, but they will be scared. Additionally, you may not be in possession or carry a firearm if you are a convicted felon or convicted of a domestic battery, so my officers would want to identify you and determine you are neither. I am sure you understand that need.

Please consider acquiring a Concealed Weapons Permit. If you live in Ada County, the Sheriff's Office provides training and the permit. You can get additional information by going to this link, http://www.adasheriff.org/RecordsReports/Licenses/ConcealedWeapons.aspx
The Police Mission at the airport is, to ensure a safe environment for the traveling public and airport employees. Please help me in completing this mission by cooperating with the officers working here and considering the impact your actions may have on other people. As always, you are free to contact me by this Email or by calling me directly.

Thanks in advance for understanding my concerns and desire to meet the needs of the airport, traveling public, and you as a private citizen.

Sincerely,

Lieutenant Mike Majors
Boise Police Department
Airport Division

Thor80

Additionally, you may not be in possession or carry a firearm if you are a convicted felon or convicted of a domestic battery, so my officers would want to identify you and determine you are neither. I am sure you understand that need.

What would be their RAS for checking to see if you are either a convicted felon or convicted of domestic battery if you are not breaking any laws? Are they allowed to make sure everyone that gets in a car to drive away from the airport has a drivers license? Not sure of Idaho Laws but I know this has been discussed at length on the Washington forum. You may want to follow up about that.

-Thor

DocWalker

What he is trying to say is yes you can carry but he doesn't like it.

What he is trying to say is he doesn't want you to carry and if you do you will be harassed.

What he is trying to say is if you are harassed then go with it or else.

The officer is upset because BY LAW he has to let you carry, he will however try to make it as painful as he thinks he can for you.

You are correct they have no RAS but if an officer does approach you can go with it or not. If not be prepared for some pain from the BPD. They may harass you so I suggest a recorder and a lawyer to assist with the lawsuit later.

They don't have a reason to ask for everyone’s DL that stops to pick someone up and they don't have the right to stop you for open carry. I would ask the officer if he checks everyone’s DL for tickets or insurance that drives into the airport, that would be the same as stopping and IDing someone to see if they are a felon. It is not legal for them to do that; it is not legal for them to remove someone because they look like an Arab and someone complained they didn't feel comfortable. It would open them up to a huge lawsuit, could you imagine someone complaining about the guy in the red shirt and them removing him just because he had on a red shirt. He broke no laws but is being harassed and detained because some ignorant scared sheep complained.

It would be far better for the BPD to tell the complainer that he is not breaking any laws and that his fear is out of ignorance and is unfounded. He should feel safer with armed LAW ABIDING CITIZENS around. The BPD can observe without making contact with the armed citizen if they like but there is no need to approach unless he also stops every car and id's the drivers just to make sure they have a valid DL.

This is turning into a police state were scared sheep demand the rights of others be taken away, one day someone will complain and have their rights taken away. As soon as the 2A is gone then they can remove the rest of those pesky Amendments starting with the first.

ecocks

What he is trying to say is yes you can carry but he doesn't like it.

What he is trying to say is he doesn't want you to carry and if you do you will be harassed.

What he is trying to say is if you are harassed then go with it or else.

The officer is upset because BY LAW he has to let you carry, he will however try to make it as painful as he thinks he can for you.

You are correct they have no RAS but if an officer does approach you can go with it or not. If not be prepared for some pain from the BPD. They may harass you so I suggest a recorder and a lawyer to assist with the lawsuit later.

They don't have a reason to ask for everyone’s DL that stops to pick someone up and they don't have the right to stop you for open carry. I would ask the officer if he checks everyone’s DL for tickets or insurance that drives into the airport, that would be the same as stopping and IDing someone to see if they are a felon. It is not legal for them to do that; it is not legal for them to remove someone because they look like an Arab and someone complained they didn't feel comfortable. It would open them up to a huge lawsuit, could you imagine someone complaining about the guy in the red shirt and them removing him just because he had on a red shirt. He broke no laws but is being harassed and detained because some ignorant scared sheep complained.

It would be far better for the BPD to tell the complainer that he is not breaking any laws and that his fear is out of ignorance and is unfounded. He should feel safer with armed LAW ABIDING CITIZENS around. The BPD can observe without making contact with the armed citizen if they like but there is no need to approach unless he also stops every car and id's the drivers just to make sure they have a valid DL.

And I say once again that in these situations about a dozen of us showing up for coffee and a burger at the restaurant just inside the security point, chatting an hour or two for 2-3 weekends in a row would give them an understanding of just how silly they were and wasteful of their time.