Thread: Occupy San Diego Open Carry

Occupy San Diego Open Carry

Occupy San Diego (occupysd.org) will start occupying downtown this Friday. I am in the planning stages of open carrying while next to the protesters.

Obviously I would not be able to march around through school zones and such but I want to feed off the energy and media that will be down there.

So... anyone care to join me I don't know about this week end but possibly next weekend or the end of the week.

I'm assuming there is some sort of law that prevents me from protesting while carrying but I can still walk around downtown next to them I think.
    Last edited by Joshua Costa; 10-07-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    "I do not love the sword for its gleam, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I love only what they protect."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Costa View Post
    Occupy San Diego (occupysd.org) will start occupying downtown this Friday. I am in the planning stages of open carrying while next to the protesters.

Obviously I would not be able to march around through school zones and such but I want to feed off the energy and media that will be down there.

So... anyone care to join me I don't know about this week end but possibly next weekend or the end of the week.

I'm assuming there is some sort of law that prevents me from protesting while carrying but I can still walk around downtown next to them I think.
    Carry on, CA doesn't prohibit carry while protesting.

look there are a lot of the key words on there page that would lead me to believe that they may not be the gun receptive types.
    and i just look at the forum and No one as of 845 am Friday has answered your post.
    make sure you have someone with you and you have a recorder to C.Y.A
    there are going to be people that see a gun and start to call you at "Tea party" person. or just react like stupidly
    with a lot of people expect to get all the Uninformed questions {retarded} you have ever heard or been asked before
    this is the beginning of something new and with large crowds it can get out of hand quick.
    Be safe.
    Namaste

you could also check the http://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy...98003106936678 they are saying they expect a high level of police there.
    that seems to be more active than the website. you could ask on the facebook page and be able to test the waters.
    all and all though i would not expect them to have your back if the police decide to go after you, so C.Y.A.

be safe

asked on the Sacramento Occupy page and it only took the second person to respond call me a Troll.
    I asked how they would feel about it an all i get are No"s.
    If you do it good luck.
    Last edited by Rev_sole; 10-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.

I would advise against it. There are 2 school classrooms in Horton Plaza that I know for certain have 1000 foot zones that would cover the civic center concourse. There may also be other new gateway or private k-12 schools just due to the density of builidngs and people living downtown.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Dam you school zones...
    "I do not love the sword for its gleam, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I love only what they protect."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Dam you school zones...
    Yep they suck. I have done some fairly extensive research to find schools downtown SD, have a pretty good map drawn up (wont ever bring it with me)
    basically the readers digest version: everything north of Broadway is in a school zone. Horton plaza has 2 gateway classrooms (on opposite sides of property) so draw a 1000 foot zone around that. Leaves basically a small pocket in the southern part of the gaslamp, a pocket near the Midway.

Plus with buildings still goin up and infrastructure downtown changing frequently with the growth, the danger and risk of a school opening is very high. Im Not saying "Dont OC in downtown SD" just beware the GFSZ's are more hidden and treacherous and LE more abundant.

ALthough if I were not working I would OC at this event
    Car Show
    but only South of Market and east of 4th. Half of this event is in a school zone for sure.
    Last edited by Firemark; 10-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Only if the protest is in concert with a labor dispute. PC 12590

Thanks!
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    Only if the protest is in concert with a labor dispute. PC 12590
    So if Im protesting the fact I cant open carry anymore (if AB144 goes thru). Can I open carry at the protest. so long as it doesnt involve labor disputes??

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    I would advise against it. There are 2 school classrooms in Horton Plaza that I know for certain have 1000 foot zones that would cover the civic center concourse. There may also be other new gateway or private k-12 schools just due to the density of builidngs and people living downtown.
    Gateway school?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Carvajal View Post
    Gateway school?
    specialized schools with limited class sizes usually for specific specialty education or special students. The one I know of in Horton plaza is a 40'x40' classroom for 9th grade students. Its licensed with the state so it qualifies as a k-12 school and thus creates a 1000' ft zone.

Protecting an Illegal Residence

Could you be carrying down at the protests if you are at your tent "Protecting your temporary residence" even if your temporary residence is illegal and within 1000 feet of a school zone?

Quote Originally Posted by TaIk2Kevin View Post
    Could you be carrying down at the protests if you are at your tent "Protecting your temporary residence" even if your temporary residence is illegal and within 1000 feet of a school zone?
    Interesting question, my first thought would be, they probably wouldnt know your in a school zone, at least at first, since SDPD does not create or track GFSZ's but they might look it up if they think your in the zone, or just check this website, which they do frequently. Then there is the question of temporary residence, and campsites, although I think they would probably take that chance, arrest you, and then figure out something to charge you with. Your gonna have a hard time convincing a judge or jury that you fall in that "urban camping" category, and the exemption applies to you.

But if you got the money and the right lawyer with the experience, perhaps you can get a case named for you. But my bet is you wont win.

So I just moved here from VA, and the laws here freak'n stink.

I would have joined you, but after reading this thread I'm to scared to wander off the tiny little corner that isn't considered a school zone downtown now. Geez

It's OK, we here in California have learned to pick our battles. I'm pretty sure you will have plenty of other opportunities to open carry in the coming months. I know some of my favorite toys will be getting some fresh air after spending so much time in my dark cold safe.
    J.R.R. Tolkien